Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2011 4:18:28 AM EDT
My laptop, running Windows of course, seems to have picked up a virus.  Pretty sure it came from Uzitalk.com
I keep getting the message that I am critically low on memory, and I can't do much due to the lack of free memory.
I also keep getting messages about updating the Windows security.  
I have AVG on this laptop, and I was able to run a scan which didn't find anything.  
I've done disk cleanup several times, it always seems to free up the same amount, and then I'll get the message
that I only have 3mb of space.  Sometimes I can open up web sites, sometimes they only open as text.  

Is there any way to fix this without losing everything on the computer?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My laptop, running Windows of course, seems to have picked up a virus.  Pretty sure it came from Uzitalk.com
I keep getting the message that I am critically low on memory, and I can't do much due to the lack of free memory.
I have AVG on this laptop, and I was able to run a scan which didn't find anything.  
I've done disk cleanup several times, it always seems to free up the same amount, and then I'll get the message
that I only have 3mb of space.  Sometimes I can open up web sites, sometimes they only open as text.  

Which version of Windows?

My AV has displayed a red flag warning about UZItalk and the possibility of infection.

Malwarebytes seems to be everyone's go-to program for eliminating bugs.  It's found things on my system (minor, thankfully) that AVG didn't.  Run it in safe mode.

Others, much more knowledgeable about computer bugs are sure to chime in soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Malwarebytes seems to be everyone's go-to program for eliminating bugs.

This!

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Malware  bytes, super anti spyware and microsoft security essentials is what i run on my laptop and it stays clean
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Malware  bytes, super anti spyware and microsoft security essentials is what i run on my laptop and it stays clean

MS Security Essentials and Malware bytes keep my computers clean.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been running Malwarebytes and AVG.  Over the weekend I deleted a lot of video and photos from my hard drive, copied them to an external hard drive.
Last time I did this, the external hard drive died later and I lost a lot of stuff.  Freed up enough space to run the Malware scan, and the AVG scan, neither found
anything.  Did a disc defrag, and things seem to be running better.  I still don't know why I was getting the low memory messages all the time, and the windows
security update messages.  My hard drive never showed that it was anywhere near full.  Oh well, its working.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Please post specs of computer and a screen shot of the messages you are receiving regarding this.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

MS Security Essentials and Malware bytes keep my computers clean.

This and installing the Linux distro of your choice as a "dual boot".

Ubuntu is very easy to install and use.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Nuke your hard drive then reinstall the OS using a real OS CD.  It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:30:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top