Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2014 11:51:46 AM EDT
I know about GP11 ammo, and I know to look for a troop tag.

What else do I need to know about this rifle?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean the barrel before shooting it, who knows what is in there.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Privi Partisan sells the brass for reloading, if you get tired of the heavy recoil.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know to save your GP11 spent brass because even though it is Berdan-primed, it is worth the grief of getting set up to reload it?

Disclaimer- I don't reload for this caliber but a range buddy is a fanatic about 7.5 Swiss.

Oh, if you find an original sling, you also need the clip to attach it to the buttstock. These are often not sold together.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Privi Partisan sells the brass for reloading, if you get tired of the heavy recoil.
View Quote

Heavy recoil ? It is about the same as a .308 and is easy to shoot
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
7.5 Swiss is closer to 30-06 than .308 Win. Fortunately you can reload it with commercial .308 bullets, but the brass is another thing.

Not much else I can say about the K31. It's a great rifle, I enjoy shooting mine. My only complaint is that the buttstock shape doesn't match my shoulder very well. I have thought about purchasing a leather wrap-around recoil pad for it.

The bore on mine looks like it just came out of the factory yesterday. So shiny that it looks chrome-lined. I don't think I've ever heard of a K31 with a bad bore.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
They are accurate as hell, you can form brass from 284 Win brass, look under the butt plate, some times you can find a note of the person it was issued to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd get one of those slip over rubber butt pads if you plan on shooting it more than 10 rounds per range session. I find the recoil with the metal butt-plate to be somewhat painful for extended shooting sessions. Also the factory front blade sight will cause the gun to shoot about 10 inches high at 100 yards with the rear sight set to 100 yards. You can find aftermarket front blades in different heights. I ordered a tall one and filed it down until it hit point of aim at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd get one of those slip over rubber butt pads if you plan on shooting it more than 10 rounds per range session. I find the recoil with the metal butt-plate to be somewhat painful for extended shooting sessions. Also the factory front blade sight will cause the gun to shoot about 10 inches high at 100 yards with the rear sight set to 100 yards. You can find aftermarket front blades in different heights. I ordered a tall one and filed it down until it hit point of aim at 100 yards.
View Quote

Is the recoil any worse than a M44?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me the felt recoil of he k31 is little lighter, but still significant feel with the metal buttplate.

Love my k31s. Bought one to shoot, then got another to keep nice as my first one will get a lot of use.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Check under the buttplate and see if the paper ID tag is still there from the soldier who was issued that rifle.

ETA: missed it in the OP
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I am not a big guy and find the recoil the same as any other 308 rifle. It is
really un remakable.

Btw only neck size the brass if you reload the brass will last longer and better accuracy.
Also makes reloading easier and faster
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never fired an M44, but I imagine the recoil of the M44 would be a slight bit worse than the K31. I'm guessing the 7.62x54r is a little more powerful than 7.5mm Swiss.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Good Lord! What a bunch of pansies!

I shoot my K31, or more recently my M1911 long rifle, in vintage military matches. 40 rds on any IDPA (I believe) silhouette target at 100 yds. and another 20 rds at steel at various distances. I wear a t-shirt under a BDU blouse. Recoil is not that bad.

But then I love shooting my T53 because it's the lightest M44 I have. Again in a t-shirt and BDU blouse.

Have none of you ever shot anything bigger than an AR?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Some good stuff here:

http://www.swissproductsllc.com/

Neither of mine had a troop tag. My last name is Swiss so if the name on your troop tag is eight letters long and starts with a G, let me know.

An no, the recoil certainly isn't going to hurt you
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
While it is "possible' to reload Berdan primed brass, it is too much trouble and Berdan primers are very hard to find here.

Just buy and shoot GP-11 and don't try to reload that brass.  Buy some Boxer primed brass if you want to reload.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know to save your GP11 spent brass because even though it is Berdan-primed, it is worth the grief of getting set up to reload it?

Disclaimer- I don't reload for this caliber but a range buddy is a fanatic about 7.5 Swiss.

While it is "possible' to reload Berdan primed brass, it is too much trouble and Berdan primers are very hard to find here.

Just buy and shoot GP-11 and don't try to reload that brass.  Buy some Boxer primed brass if you want to reload.

Pretty easy to make 7.5 Swiss from .284 Win. brass, also. Just anneal the necks well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree, I just can't bring myself to scrap GP11 brass as it is the prettiest brass I have ever seen.

For reloading I use the Privi brass. Back in the day before that was available, I just made it from .284 Win brass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am not a big guy and find the recoil the same as any other 308 rifle. It is
really un remakable.

Btw only neck size the brass if you reload the brass will last longer and better accuracy.
Also makes reloading easier and faster
View Quote

If you neck size make sure your brass will allow the bolt to close easily.

The straight bolt design does not have the camming  force of a 98 bolt design

I shoot cast out of mine, for less recoil  you can use 100 grain bullets

The appear to have a short throat in the chamber that limits seating bullets out to far

enjoy

now get a 1911  from Widner's while you can
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Stock pile some GP11 while it is available and cheap!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stock pile some GP11 while it is available and cheap!
View Quote

I wouldn't say it's cheap, but I doubt it gets any cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to reload for the K-31, use Redding dies.   For the K-11 use RCBS dies.

There are slight dimensional differences between the two chambers and the two different die makers based their dies on slightly different dimensions.

Norma makes lovely 7.5x55mm brass.

My favorite load is 49 grains of H4831 together with the 150 grain Nosler ballistic tip.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Oh, if you find an original sling, you also need the clip to attach it to the buttstock. These are often not sold together.
View Quote

My rifle comes with a sling.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm guessing PPU is the best deal in commercial ammo?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go to Aim surplus
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Go to Aim surplus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to Aim surplus

My rifle is still at the FFL, and I've got a case of GP11 waiting for me at home.

Now I've just got to get back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Stockpile GP11 while it's available. Don't bother with any other ammo unless you want to hunt.

Yours looks like a nice one. Post pics when you get it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Most accurate milsurp I own.  Straight pull is slick.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#31]
That they suck and are pieces of crap.  You can send it to me.  Ill be happy to take it off your hands so you don't have to suffer.

JK.

They are awesome and accurate!  That ring on the back of the bolt can be used to cock the rifle.  Sort of an old school second strike feature I guess.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
"Look at all the cool pics!" Said no one in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Stick ammo in from the top..crank back and forth on the handle between shots
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#35]
If you pull the bolt back with just the right amount of force the spent shell casing goes almost straight up with just a little movement to the rear. Just reach behind you and catch it.

If you really crank on the bolt the shell casing makes the most satisfying whiz zing sound and it spins about ten feet above and behind.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

I haven't even seen it yet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#37]
this thread is relevant to my intrests
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I shoot both.  M-44 kicks more, but neither is too bad.

Buy a PAST Magnum Recoil Shield for shooting steel butt plated rifles and it won't matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never fired an M44, but I imagine the recoil of the M44 would be a slight bit worse than the K31. I'm guessing the 7.62x54r is a little more powerful than 7.5mm Swiss.

I shoot both.  M-44 kicks more, but neither is too bad.

Buy a PAST Magnum Recoil Shield for shooting steel butt plated rifles and it won't matter.

+1 on the PAST although I use the normal one it goes with me every time the mil surp rifles go to the range.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Wolf Gold is another one you can try if you don't have much GP11 and want to save it. The recoil is lighter than GP11.

I'm curious about what's supposed to be there.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That used to be the case.  Now not so much.  Berdan primers HERE....

Also HERE...

The Swiss brass is apparently excellent stuff.

The iron sights are excellent--and the rifles scope quite nicely as well.

NO-Drill SCOPE MOUNT...
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was the exact rifle OP bought. Simpsons takes the page down when the firearm ships. It's a nice K31 in a walnut stock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I just pulled a K31 out of my grandfather's safe last week. Never seen one before and it seemed really neat.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Make sure you have a pretty tight fitting collar around the back of your neck while shooting.
Hot brass inside your shirt behind your neck stings pretty bad.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#44]
St. Marie scope mount FTW.  The clamp on does not harm the rifle and will hold a zero. Use my scoped rifle for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Most bang for the buck of any gun I own.  Got it for all of $85 when they first came out.  Prvi is great ammo in the K31, IME.  Got a St. Maries scope mount on sale, put a cheapo Bushnell on it.  Have shot into a .43" group of five at one hundred yards, and I'm no great shot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you pull the bolt back with just the right amount of force the spent shell casing goes almost straight up with just a little movement to the rear. Just reach behind you and catch it.

If you really crank on the bolt the shell casing makes the most satisfying whiz zing sound and it spins about ten feet above and behind.
View Quote

this...wear a ball cap  backwards  when shooting...it beats getting burned by a hot shell  going down the collar of your shirt..
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Make sure you have a pretty tight fitting collar around the back of your neck while shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

this...wear a ball cap  backwards  when shooting...it beats getting burned by a hot shell  going down the collar of your shirt..

You guys just need to work the action more smartly.

When I'm doing the prone rapid fire stage I'll feel one or two hit me in the small of my back. But I wear a BDU blouse over a teeshirt so no worries there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

St. Marie scope mount FTW.  The clamp on does not harm the rifle and will hold a zero. Use my scoped rifle for hunting.
View Quote

I like the diopter sights at that link.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Most bang for the buck of any gun I own.  Got it for all of $85 when they first came out.  Prvi is great ammo in the K31, IME.  Got a St. Maries scope mount on sale, put a cheapo Bushnell on it.  Have shot into a .43" group of five at one hundred yards, and I'm no great shot.
View Quote

Amen.  The metalwork on K31s is nearly beyond compare for a .mil rifle.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:59:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

That mount strikes me as really weird.

The first part I find odd is the 3/8" rail. I don't think I've ever seen that used on anything centerfire.

The other thing is the right side offset. How does that work for a right-handed shooter? Are you forced to shoot off the left, or do you lean a little further over the rifle?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top