Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/21/2003 5:45:13 AM EDT
I never gave the Army a serious thought, but this girl I started dating has enlisted, and she convinced me to go talk to them, and I realized that I dunno what I was avoiding them for......maybe I should be an Army of One.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:09:10 AM EDT
Sounds good to me. Just do it for the right reasons.

Don't get any ideas of following her all over hell.

Pic, out
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:28:19 AM EDT
Join the Marine Corps, then you can get HER to follow YOU! Oh, and I hear the Marines is the easiest basic training...........
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:39:18 AM EDT
That's houw the cults get you, with chicks. Remember that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:01:02 AM EDT
she is just using you to get that promotion to PV2.

go talk think about it for a while and make sure you don't get 77f I think thats fueling or something like that they seem to be pushing it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:07:42 AM EDT
I dont think I would be doing it for her, but I think I can credit her for opening my eyes up to it. She used the usual female leverage to get me to come in and talk to a recruiter. Of course she wants me to join for her promotion, but she and I talked today and she understands that if I do it, its gonna be for me, not for her extra $125 a month or whatever it is. If I join, Ill be E3 PFC because of all my college credits and such I guess. As to what pic said, I realize that my relationship with her isnt going to have any effect on my assignment, UNLESS we get married, but I dont know about that right now. I was up all night thinking about it, and I really do need to think some more, but It might really be the best thing in my life right now.

BTW I scored 69 on the practice test or whatever it is, they said that based on that I might have some really good job choices (im not looking at combat).
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:09:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 10:13:22 AM EDT by QuietShootr]
69?!?!

reminds me of when I went back in last year. I'm sitting there in MEPS getting ready to get blood drawn when this kid bursts out of the room next to me waving his test over his head shouting with glee,"I got a 42!!! I PASSED!! And it only took me two tries!!"

A wiser man than I would have cut and run right there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:34:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
69?!?!

reminds me of when I went back in last year. I'm sitting there in MEPS getting ready to get blood drawn when this kid bursts out of the room next to me waving his test over his head shouting with glee,"I got a 42!!! I PASSED!! And it only took me two tries!!"

WOW

and they say MOST recruits score higher on the real test than the practice test....
So are you currently enlisted?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:41:44 AM EDT
This sounds like four years of heartbreak coming on…
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 1:26:30 AM EDT by rn45]
Join the Marine Corps. She may be your girlfriend, but she's using you to get ahead.
THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS ADVICE.
Besides, I heard from a reliable source that boot camp is much easier now and you get weekends and holidays off. Oh yeah, and that D.I.s can't raise their voice at you and if you tire out on a road march, they'll call a cab for you. I think it was a recruiter that told me that.
THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS SARCASM.

Make your own decisions. This is an important one that you alone should make. You will be stuck with the consequences.
THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS ADVICE.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:50:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 10:52:40 AM EDT by QuietShootr]

Originally Posted By Furner:

69?!?!

WOW

and they say MOST recruits score higher on the real test than the practice test....

Just got out. Did 1 more year in the Guard.

I scored a 92...and it's awfully frustrating to be surrounded by mid-50s. Word to the wise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:44:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rn45:
Besides, I heard from a reliable source that boot camp is much easier now and you get weekends and holidays off. Oh yeah, and that D.I.s can't raise their voice at you and if you tire out on a road march, they'll call a cab for you. I think it was a recruiter that told me that.

A friend of mine went through boot camp and heard all of those stories before hand, he came back with a different perspective. He said that wasn't the case at all.

One day while he was on leave we went in to visit his recuriter and listened to an older former marine talk about how pussified the corps was now and he looked my friend in the eye and said, "you're gonna have it easy." My friend laughed along with the recuriters. I dont know what it is about people who think everything they went through is harder the newer generations. I know boot camp isn't what it used to be but it is still harder than some think
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:59:11 AM EDT
Took the ASVAB 4 fucking times! 1st time in 1990 scored 92 or something. Then they made me retake in bootcamp because they suspected my recruiter had someone else take it for me, scored about the same IIRC. Then about 4 years ago was toying with reenlisting. Said I had to take it again, WTF? Score a 97. Then decided to go selres. Took again because MEPS or whoever lost my old scores, 98. USNR BTW, same test for all services I believe. 69 isn't bad. most fuck up in the math part. if you never took HS algebra it could kill your score. I went to boot with guys that were barely literate. I think 35 is the threshold so you are way above and not one of the less edumacated peoples.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:43:03 AM EDT
Go into the Air Force, they have airconditioning etc. The Air Force has the cutest women of any service.

The army they transport you in BlackHawk helocopters.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:00:47 AM EDT
Doesn't matter which branch, just make sure you get attached to the most expensive equipment. None of them give a rat's ass about people, but they do care about the equipment. And the pay is the same if you are miserable or living well. Wanna bet the recruiter is banging her?

rk
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:25:18 AM EDT
I never realized the Army might be for me....

But will you be for the Army ? Hmmmm?

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:11:53 AM EDT

69?!?!

[TedKnight]The world needs ditch diggers too.[TedKnight]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:35:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sherm8404:

69?!?!

[TedKnight]The world needs ditch diggers too.[TedKnight]

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:44:32 AM EDT

Well, if you are not 'looking at combat' whatever the hell that means, then make sure you get into a position that will give you either lots of college credits, or one that will allow you to easily get a high paying job on the outside, i.e. go to WO school and become a helicopter pilot or such.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:00:51 AM EDT

69?!?!

WOW

Just got out. Did 1 more year in the Guard.

I scored a 92...and it's awfully frustrating to be surrounded by mid-50s. Word to the wise.

92? Do you have a GED or something?
Furner Asvab score isnt important, what is your GT score? Thats the one that follows you for your entire career.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:14:54 AM EDT
AvengeR15 beat me to it, but his comment was much nicer than mine would have been.

I like the advice to be a helo pilot, but you didn't go far enough; he needs to be an Apache or Blackhawk pilot!

Or tanks! Get paid to drive around in off road vehicles!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:20:10 AM EDT

I never gave the Army a serious thought, but this girl I started dating has enlisted, and she convinced me to go talk to them, and I realized that I dunno what I was avoiding them for......maybe I should be an Army of One.

Can anyone say "Starship Troopers"? (the movie, not the book)

This will end badly, with her dumping you and giant insects trying to eat you
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:29:38 AM EDT
I'm with DK-Prof.

Ask yourself why military service never occurred to you until she brought it up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:49:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 7:52:25 AM EDT by QCMGR]

Mentor cap on:

Lookie here son. Quit thinking like a boy and be a man. Finish college. If you are jonesing for the Army go into the MI NG.

I don’t think I would be doing it for her, but I think I can credit her for opening my eyes up to it.

Unless you are a virgin or she is a stripper, their is nothing an Army bound 19 year old woman is going to open your eyes to. I suggest you drive to the Birch Run gun show next week to receive a sound thrashing. Finish school, get a commission. Build a future that is yours.

Mentor cap off.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:10:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 8:14:14 AM EDT by Furner]

Originally Posted By QCMGR:

Mentor cap on:

Lookie here son. Quit thinking like a boy and be a man. Finish college. If you are jonesing for the Army go into the MI NG.

I don’t think I would be doing it for her, but I think I can credit her for opening my eyes up to it.

Unless you are a virgin or she is a stripper, their is nothing an Army bound 19 year old woman is going to open your eyes to. I suggest you drive to the Birch Run gun show next week to receive a sound thrashing. Finish school, get a commission. Build a future that is yours.

Mentor cap off.

Gee, its hard to argue with "The source of truth and reason"!

Figured my thread was dead, glad someone drug it back up.

As for school, I am almost done with my Assc. Degree, and I honestly dont know what I should do after that.

(Actually, she is an Army bound 25 year old), and maybe she did what someone needed to do for me, use the female magic to convince me to go talk to the Army. I dont think she honestly cares if I join or not, she cant find a second person that would join for her E3 promo.

As I said before, this is gonna require some serious thinking on my part, but I cant see myself doing anything more productive in the next 4-8 years. I just dont know right now, I have at least until May to think about it.

Originally Posted By Delta_3_63:
I'm with DK-Prof.

Ask yourself why military service never occurred to you until she brought it up.

Because no one ever got me to go talk to a recruiter, it could have been someone else that got me to do it, it didnt really matter who it was, Im just glad someone did.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:31:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 8:33:27 AM EDT by Hoplite]

Because no one ever got me to go talk to a recruiter, it could have been someone else that got me to do it, it didnt really matter who it was, Im just glad someone did.

How did you stay stealth to the recruiters? Those pains in the asses were calling me since i was 16! They still call every month and I have been in for 3 years!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:37:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplite:

How did you stay stealth to the recruiters? Those pains in the asses were calling me since i was 16! They still call every month and I have been in for 3 years!

Never got calls from them really......Just the Navy, and I really was turned off by my "assigned" recruiter. The recruiter I talked to with the Army last week was really awesome, it was his first week as a 79R, and almost the same age as me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:52:34 AM EDT

As I said before, this is gonna require some serious thinking on my part, but I cant see myself doing anything more productive in the next 4-8 years. I just dont know right now, I have at least until May to think about it.

Here is an option:

Go in the MI NG. From their if you like it you can go to a school like WMU that has an ROTC program and get a reserve commission. It has been a few years, but I still think MI has an SF unit. Their is also the Aviation unit out of Grand Ledge, MP units, Mec. Inf. etc. Or you could look at the Air NG. If you still feel the need to go active and want to be in an infantry unit I would make sure it is in your contract or go into the USMC.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 9:12:54 AM EDT by Furner]
Im not really interested in Infantry, my dream would be 74B or 74C (Info Systems).
I could always go for something in Signal too, I hear they are paying a little bonus for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:19:04 AM EDT
MI has the best reserve component Combat Weather unit in the country.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:22:56 AM EDT
What is involved in signing on with a NG unit? Do i attend some form of basic?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:35:04 AM EDT

What is involved in signing on with a NG unit? Do i attend some form of basic?

The combat weather is an Air Nat Guard unit.
Anyway you go call the unit and speak to the in house recruiter there or have them recommend a recruiter close to you. Have the recruiter come to you and you can talk business. After you get your unit picked out you will go to MEPS (military entry processing station?) where they run a physical exam and a brief background check on you. If all is well you will get to sign your contract at the end of the day at Meps and will be sworn in. From then on you report to "drill" with your unit until you ship out for Initial active duty training. Then you come back from IADT and go to training when the schedule calls for it (usually one weekend a month. Sometimes a bit more depending on the unit)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:52:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:56:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 12:01:25 PM EDT by Furner]

www.michigan.gov/dmva/0%2C1607%2C7-126-2364---%2C00.html

www.michigan.gov/dmva/0,1607,7-126-2364_3110-12139--,00.html

www.michigan.gov/dmva/0,1607,7-126-2364_3109-15192--,00.html

Do you meet the following requirements?

17 to 35 years old (prior service may be older and keep your rank in most cases)
In good physical condition
No serious law violations
Have or will have a High School diploma or GED
Ready for a challenge
Prior Service from any DOD component??

Does that mean I need to have Prior Military experience?

Somewhat related, what if I serve 4 years Army Active duty, can I finish my 8 year requirment in a NG unit?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:06:58 PM EDT

17 to 35 years old (prior service may be older and keep your rank in most cases)
Ready for a challenge

Somewhat related, what if I serve 4 years Army Active duty, can I finish my 8 year requirment in a NG unit?

no you do not need to be PS. some of the more high speed units like an LRS unit or something under SOCOM might require it. Combat weather may not and is a good field with tons of schooling oppurtunities. IF i was to go AirForce that is what i would do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:10:46 PM EDT

Ready for a challenge

Those are general requirements. I.e., if you meet most of them you are eligible. The prior service condition relates to an AF of Navy veteran wanting to join the Guard.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 12:16:26 PM EDT by QCMGR]
www.michguard.com/faq/default.asp

Do I have to go to Basic Training?
If you have never served in any branch of the military, you will have to attend the Army's eight week basic training. In addition, you will have to attend a period of Advanced Individual Training (AIT) which teaches your specific Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). The length of AIT varies widely with MOS. Normally new soldiers will attend AIT immediately after Basic Training, however, if you are a student who is only available for training during the summer you have the option of going to Basic Training one summer and AIT the next.

What jobs are available in the National Guard?
The Michigan Army National Guard offers a large selection of specialties (MOS's) ranging from infantry to band member. Different MOS's have different qualifications and your recruiter can help you determine which MOS would be best suited for you.

What are the qualifications I must meet to join the National Guard?
The National Guard has physical, academic, and legal qualifications. You must be in good health and have no major physical handicaps. The minimum age to join the National Guard is 17. Persons under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian. You must be either currently in High School or have a High School Diploma or GED. You must also obtain a minimum qualifying score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery exam (ASVAB). Soon after you contact a recruiter, they will take you to where this test is administered to see if you are qualified. Your ASVAB score will also determine which MOS's you are qualified for. Finally, you must have no major criminal convictions. This information is only a basic outline of the qualifications. Before enlisting you will be receive a detailed medical examination and background check. Your recruiter will provide you with more exact information and make recommendations regarding your qualification status.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:24:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M15A2:

Originally Posted By rn45:

A friend of mine went through boot camp and heard all of those stories before hand, he came back with a different perspective. He said that wasn't the case at all.

One day while he was on leave we went in to visit his recuriter and listened to an older former marine talk about how pussified the corps was now and he looked my friend in the eye and said, "you're gonna have it easy." My friend laughed along with the recuriters. I dont know what it is about people who think everything they went through is harder the newer generations. I know boot camp isn't what it used to be but it is still harder than some think

Sorry dude, been there and done that. I did basic in '83. In '93 I went back to do an MOS change and saw what kind of pussified crap they had going then. I can't say for sure what is happening now, but when I see an honorable officer getting court martialed for an interrogation of an EPW where he discharged his fire arm into a weapons clearing barrel and being accused of assault, I know that the freakin liberal pansies are taking over the military and am glad that I don't have to put up with it any more.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:48:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PsyWarrior:
..... but when I see an honorable officer getting court martialed for an interrogation of an EPW where he discharged his fire arm into a weapons clearing barrel and being accused of assault, I know that the freakin liberal pansies are taking over the military and am glad that I don't have to put up with it any more.

Sadly, I have to agree.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 8:23:22 PM EDT by TRW]
Actually, they give you a "time-out" card that you can flash the drill instructor if you start to get upset because he is yelling at you and calling you a clown. If the DIs get too many time-out cards pulled on them in an 8 week period they get sent to sensitivity training.

J/K

Go for it! My 18 year old son joined last January as a 12B. He graduated AIT in April and went to Iraq in May. He is now doing raids with the 588th Engineers in Baqubah and loves it.

He and his team leader got into a bit of a sticky situation a few weeks ago but survived (scratch one Iraqi).

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:38:01 PM EDT

Im not really interested in Infantry, my dream would be 74B or 74C (Info Systems).
I could always go for something in Signal too, I hear they are paying a little bonus for it.

I'm sorry, but why bother?

If you are not going Combat Arms, you might as well join the...(shudder)..Air Force.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:39:46 PM EDT
figure out why you want to join and what you want to get out of it and get back to us.

there seem to be tons of vetrans on this board and we'll all (almost all, watch that hoplite fella') try to help you out.

you mention that you want to be a 74-somethig or other. that isn't a bad gig. if that is what you want to do. but you won't be in the army blowing shit up or doing any typical army shit... might be a let down for you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:56:10 PM EDT

...(im not looking at combat).

This statement really, really bothers me, but instead of losing my temper and saying mean things, I'll remain civilized and simply ask that you remember combat is a very real possibility if you join the military. Please don't forget that, as it seems so many in Iraq have.

Funny thing about recruiter: I scored a 99 for my AFQT on the ASVAB and I can't get a flippin' recruiter to give me a face to face, scratch the Marine recruiter at my school, and I don't wanna join the damn Marines! I set up a meeting with an Army recruiter and the sumbitch didn't show. I had a Navy recruiter that was supposed to call me back to set up some face time and he never did, and surprisingly, the Air Force hasn't even sent me a brochure let alone call me (which doesn't really matter because I wouldn't join the AF, but it's an interesting point).

Another note:
of four friends that took the ASVAB with me, only one actually scored high enough to even be accepted by the military. One kid at my school had an AFQT score of 9. Shit, when I get in the Navy I'm going to have to find a specialized unit just to distance myself from the cannon fodder! In a way I think everyone 18 or older and of proper mental and physical capacity should be required to serve at least a year or two in a branch of the military, but then I see scores like those at my school, and I think, "would I really want to trust my life to people like these?" The answer is most definately no. As it is, I think the necessary AFQT score is far too low. The test is too easy to just accept people who score 35 and up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:16:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
Funny thing about recruiter: I scored a 99 for my AFQT on the ASVAB and I can't get a flippin' recruiter to give me a face to face, scratch the Marine recruiter at my school, and I don't wanna join the damn Marines! I set up a meeting with an Army recruiter and the sumbitch didn't show. I had a Navy recruiter that was supposed to call me back to set up some face time and he never did, and surprisingly, the Air Force hasn't even sent me a brochure let alone call me (which doesn't really matter because I wouldn't join the AF, but it's an interesting point).

I take it you took the ASVAB in school. Those that took the ASVAB in school and had an AFQT of 50 or above are the FIRST to get at least called by all branches.

As a prior Army Recruiter, I would only conduct a face-to-face with someone who looks to be qualified to enlist.

Medical/legal problems, overweight, etc. were common reasons not to pursue an individual with a high AFQT score.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:01:50 AM EDT
the higher your GT score the better.....110 or above is what you want.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:21:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By reconBYfire:
the higher your GT score the better.....110 or above is what you want.

To clarify .... the AFQT is a score used ONLY for initial enlistment qualifying, and ranges from 0-99, with 50+ being what recruiters are looking for.

Once you go active, the AFQT is no longer used, and your GT score with its higher range is then the standard, as noted above.

Chris
Top Top