Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 6:25:46 AM EDT
Sending my Macbook in for service (a trusted (and Apple Approved) local guy), and they tell me it's going to be a one week long wait, so I grabbed the file server from the office and stuck it under my desk. It's running Ubuntu 7.10 and dude, I forgot how much arse Linux kicks on the desktop.

Once the ghey white laptop returns from the dungeon of the repair-man, it's getting the ubuntu treatment.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Sending my Macbook in for service (a trusted (and Apple Approved) local guy), and they tell me it's going to be a one week long wait, so I grabbed the file server from the office and stuck it under my desk. It's running Ubuntu 7.10 and dude, I forgot how much arse Linux kicks on the desktop.

Once the ghey white laptop returns from the dungeon of the repair-man, it's getting the ubuntu treatment.  

Good man...but I don't know what you were thinking leaving in the first place.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a Linux noob.  Currently, I am downloading a copy of Ubuntu for one of my desktops at home.  How difficult will it be to get up and working?  Will I have any trouble connecting it into my windows home network?

What would I do about using windows based programs on the system?

Vaca
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#3]
firstly, stick with the previous version - from the 7.x series. the 8.x series kind of totally sucks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am a Linux noob.  Currently, I am downloading a copy of Ubuntu for one of my desktops at home.  How difficult will it be to get up and working?  Will I have any trouble connecting it into my windows home network?

What would I do about using windows based programs on the system?

Vaca

It's pretty easy - even more so if your willing to wipe out the windows install currently on there. Just stick the CD in, reboot, and follow the prompts.

I have no trouble connect to our windows network, or indeed printing through a printer attached to a windows machine on the network.

For running windows programs you have three choices:

i. Use Linux equivilents (Open Office, Firefox etc)
ii. Install windows in a virtual machine
iii. Use WINE, which emulates the windows API layer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I downloaded ubuntu 8.xxx and am running it of the boot CD.  It connected to my windows network without a hitch.  So far, I like what I am seeing.  I will have to give it a little time but I think I may switch, at least on this machine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Ubuntu is good, but I still like straight up Debian.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at LinuxMint.

After you look at LinuxMint, you'll probably look at Ubuntu the same way that you're now looking at your MacBook.  

I tried other distros, including Ubuntu, when I first started looking at going Linux this winter.  Once I found LinuxMint, I haven't looked back since.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running kubuntu and really like it. Only problem I have had is that ALSA doesn't have drivers for my sound card, so I have no sound (I have a creative xfi-xtrememusic), which sucks. I tried installing the linux drivers from creative, but it didn't work .

I do really like linux though, and will be keeping linux as my main operating system and will setup a virtual machine of XP later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Look at LinuxMint.

After you look at LinuxMint, you'll probably look at Ubuntu the same way that you're now looking at your MacBook.  

I tried other distros, including Ubuntu, when I first started looking at going Linux this winter.  Once I found LinuxMint, I haven't looked back since.

big +1

I've tried lots of distro's and still own XP, Vista, and Mac OS X, but I now use Linux Mint pretty much exclusively and the rest of the family uses the others.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top