Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/16/2008 5:25:46 AM EST
Sending my Macbook in for service (a trusted (and Apple Approved) local guy), and they tell me it's going to be a one week long wait, so I grabbed the file server from the office and stuck it under my desk. It's running Ubuntu 7.10 and dude, I forgot how much arse Linux kicks on the desktop.

Once the ghey white laptop returns from the dungeon of the repair-man, it's getting the ubuntu treatment.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:02:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lancair:
Sending my Macbook in for service (a trusted (and Apple Approved) local guy), and they tell me it's going to be a one week long wait, so I grabbed the file server from the office and stuck it under my desk. It's running Ubuntu 7.10 and dude, I forgot how much arse Linux kicks on the desktop.

Once the ghey white laptop returns from the dungeon of the repair-man, it's getting the ubuntu treatment.

Good man...but I don't know what you were thinking leaving in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:25:17 AM EST
I am a Linux noob. Currently, I am downloading a copy of Ubuntu for one of my desktops at home. How difficult will it be to get up and working? Will I have any trouble connecting it into my windows home network?

What would I do about using windows based programs on the system?

Vaca
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:51:13 AM EST
firstly, stick with the previous version - from the 7.x series. the 8.x series kind of totally sucks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:59:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
I am a Linux noob. Currently, I am downloading a copy of Ubuntu for one of my desktops at home. How difficult will it be to get up and working? Will I have any trouble connecting it into my windows home network?

What would I do about using windows based programs on the system?

Vaca

It's pretty easy - even more so if your willing to wipe out the windows install currently on there. Just stick the CD in, reboot, and follow the prompts.

I have no trouble connect to our windows network, or indeed printing through a printer attached to a windows machine on the network.

For running windows programs you have three choices:

i. Use Linux equivilents (Open Office, Firefox etc)
ii. Install windows in a virtual machine
iii. Use WINE, which emulates the windows API layer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:10:03 PM EST
Well, I downloaded ubuntu 8.xxx and am running it of the boot CD. It connected to my windows network without a hitch. So far, I like what I am seeing. I will have to give it a little time but I think I may switch, at least on this machine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:57:36 PM EST
Ubuntu is good, but I still like straight up Debian.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:26:57 AM EST
Look at LinuxMint.

After you look at LinuxMint, you'll probably look at Ubuntu the same way that you're now looking at your MacBook.

I tried other distros, including Ubuntu, when I first started looking at going Linux this winter. Once I found LinuxMint, I haven't looked back since.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:35:28 AM EST
I'm running kubuntu and really like it. Only problem I have had is that ALSA doesn't have drivers for my sound card, so I have no sound (I have a creative xfi-xtrememusic), which sucks. I tried installing the linux drivers from creative, but it didn't work .

I do really like linux though, and will be keeping linux as my main operating system and will setup a virtual machine of XP later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By MissileCop:
Look at LinuxMint.

After you look at LinuxMint, you'll probably look at Ubuntu the same way that you're now looking at your MacBook.

I tried other distros, including Ubuntu, when I first started looking at going Linux this winter. Once I found LinuxMint, I haven't looked back since.

big +1

I've tried lots of distro's and still own XP, Vista, and Mac OS X, but I now use Linux Mint pretty much exclusively and the rest of the family uses the others.
Top Top