Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2015 12:36:23 PM EDT
When I got my first AR (No too long ago 2008), I went all mod crazy... And (as a newbie) I replaced a lot of the factory parts for aftermarket "upgrades"

On the first one, I replaced the pistol grip with a Magpul MIAD, then switched to the LaRue A-PEG grip... The LaRue grip has been the go-to grip ever since... That is, until the other day!

I'm putting together an M4A1 SOPMOD Block 1.5/Phased Replacement "Clone"... So for a pic, I took the A-PEG grip off, and slapped an A2 grip on the lower, and I'll be damned... Sonofabitch just feels right!!!

I don't know what it is about it, but it's my new fav for a "fightin" rifle (I'll stick with the A-PEG on my recce, and other precision AR's)

To think that I'd get annoyed whenever I'd get a LPK, and the first thing I'd do was chuck the A2 grip in my gun parts drawer... I think I have about 12 of them! Guess I gotta build 12 more rifles now!

Maybe one of these days, I'll come around to the waffle stock as well... And save $95 a pop

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no part of the AR I hate more than the A2 grip and that stupid nub.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny you say that...

Before I removed the finger grooves, and stippled my glock... I practiced on one of the many A2 grips I had! I didn't finish stippling it, but felt confident enough to tackle my brand new glock frame

I might finish stippling it, and install it to see how it feels!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Ugh, no.  I had the A2 grip on mine for a while, and it always hurt after a while of carrying it in the woods. I use hogue overmolded on my guns now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The a2 pistol grip is a horrible angle. My wrist starts to hurt when carrying it at the low ready. One of those parts that the aftermarket is vastly superior.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I have about forty A2 grips I'll sell you for a dollar each.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

When I got my first AR (No too long ago 2008), I went all mod crazy... And (as a newbie) I replaced a lot of the factory parts for aftermarket "upgrades"

On the first one, I replaced the pistol grip with a Magpul MIAD, then switched to the LaRue A-PEG grip... The LaRue grip has been the go-to grip ever since... That is, until the other day!

I'm putting together an M4A1 SOPMOD Block 1.5/Phased Replacement "Clone"... So for a pic, I took the A-PEG grip off, and slapped an A2 grip on the lower, and I'll be damned... Sonofabitch just feels right!!!

I don't know what it is about it, but it's my new fav for a "fightin" rifle (I'll stick with the A-PEG on my recce, and other precision AR's)

To think that I'd get annoyed whenever I'd get a LPK, and the first thing I'd do was chuck the A2 grip in my gun parts drawer... I think I have about 12 of them! Guess I gotta build 12 more rifles now!

Maybe one of these days, I'll come around to the waffle stock as well... And save $95 a pop

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/20150430_130211_zpsx2abo2sg.jpg
View Quote
Barrel needs more free float.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ugh, no.  I had the A2 grip on mine for a while, and it always hurt after a while of carrying it in the woods. I use hogue overmolded on my guns now.
View Quote

You don't have a sling?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't even bother changing the factory grips anymore.  My preference is for the Tangodown BG16, but I prefer to spend the money on ammo anymore.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
A1 grip > A2 grip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't mind the A2 grip, but I don't care for the numb and its a bit too small for my hands.  I prefer a MIAD or MOE grip on my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm an MOE+ kinda guy myself, but I didn't really mind the A2 that came on my M&P Sport. However I prefer rubberized grips vs. their plain plastic counterparts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/20150430_130211_zpsx2abo2sg.jpg

Nope, this one is a blaster and only needs to be M.O.M. (Minute Of Man) out to 300 yds or so... Plus it's a SOPMOD Block 1.5 Phased Replacement style "clone"... If I wanted a free float rail, I'd just swap the DD RIS II from my Recce and have myself a Block II
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You don't have a sling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have a sling?

At the time, no, but with the hogue I can carry with or without a sling with no discomfort.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#14]
fuck the A2 pistol grip
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I always swapped mine out for an A1 grip.

The MIAD is good, but mine look like A1 grips.  I don't like the longer back piece on the MIAD.

I REALLY hate the new "gunfighter" style grips, the grip angle is weird after years of carrying A1 grips.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always liked the A2 grip the most, even compared to the Magpul, Hogue, etc.

Quoted:
OP, I have about forty A2 grips I'll sell you for a dollar each.
View Quote

If serious, I'll buy half!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried to like the A2 grip on the first AR I had I really did but there are so many better options out there. For light ARs I really like the umbrella corp 23. For heavier ARs I prefer the tango down grip. (Gawd I hate that name, sounds so childish.)

As for the original waffle stock, I got one of those as a gift recently and I have been using it on my primary AR for the past couple of weeks. Its nicer than I remembered but since it doesn't have a provision for QD sling swivels it will be going in a parts box as soon as I get a decent replacement. I am thinking an MFI minimalist.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have A2 grips on all my ARs, except one. It works fine for me and I've never seen a need to replace them. The little nub helps give you leverage with one hand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
The A2 works for me, except for the nub. My medium hands won't sit high enough on the grip because the nub keeps pushing my ring finger down. I didn't feel like dropping coin on another grip so mod I did:

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A1 grip > A2 grip.
View Quote

For sure.

And while I'm at it, M-16A1 > M-16A2.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

At the time, no, but with the hogue I can carry with or without a sling with no discomfort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have a sling?

You're doing it wrong

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got guns with MOE, and A2, and actually prefer the A2.
Never had a problem with it at all- just fits my hand....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm perfectly fine with the A2 grip, too. It's one thing I just haven't felt compelled to change.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
IMHO the a2 grip only works well with people who have short fingers because it doesn't place the proper part of their finger on the trigger without them contorting their hand.  It also lacks any sort of thumb rest.

You appear to have normal fingers so my guess is either you don't know how to properly pull a trigger or you enjoy the discomfort of contorting your hand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Long live the nub!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate them with a passion. Give me an Ergo grip or give me death!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Hogue grip is best value out there.  I can't speak about its strength or durability, but I've shot pdogs for days with it and like it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
MIAD with large backstrap.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth. I actually run my middle finger and ring finger above the nub and onto the trigger guard, keeping the majority of the bottom of the grip exposed. Way more comfortable that way
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]
a2 grip goes straight in the trash.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Truth. I actually run my middle finger and ring finger above the nub and onto the trigger guard, keeping the majority of the bottom of the grip exposed. Way more comfortable that way
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could just buy another grip?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
The aftermarket is superior.

Between storage of rifle parts, to better angles, to better grip/feel.....this is something I always "fix."

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#33]
K2 > A2
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IMHO the a2 grip only works well with people who have short fingers because it doesn't place the proper part of their finger on the trigger without them contorting their hand.  It also lacks any sort of thumb rest.

You appear to have normal fingers so my guess is either you don't know how to properly pull a trigger or you enjoy the discomfort of contorting your hand.
View Quote

From my wrist to the the tip of my trigger finger is 7 and 3/4 inches... Not NBA baller material, but I've go some paws on me.

Theres no discomfort, and I've never had an issue with trigger play with an AR rifle in my life!

I just have a new found appreciation in weapon manipulation and maneuverability with that overlooked A2 grip!!!  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
fuck the A2 pistol grip
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck the A2 pistol grip

You're dead to me man... And I looked up to your rifles
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Solution
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amen. I won't even toss them into the parts box. They get flung into the recycling bin.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Amen. I won't even toss them into the parts box. They get flung into the recycling bin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By all means, feel free to ship them to me.  I will even provide the stamp.  :p

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I have no issue with the A2 grip. I have one on an AR and on my SCAR... the SCAR A2 feels slightly better than the AR A2, but look identical dimension wise. Maybe just the position of the grip.

I only have a MIAD Gen2 on my Mega Maten and a MOE on a pink furniture AR. I plan to replace the Maten grip with an A-PEG though, smooth or rough though?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't know the difference until I left active duty and went to the guard.  They still had a1s in 2005.  Now my highpower rifle sports a used gunshop a1 grip.  Just feels better especially in offhand an sitting
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I just give them to my dog, they make outstanding chew toys...last a long time with a dog that normaly destroys stuff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#45]
HATE the A2 grip.

OP, carry one for a decade or so and let us know how you feel about it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the point of the nub anyway?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#47]
I haven't seen a real A2 grip in this thread yet either.  The Colt ones are different than the after market.  They have a larger swell to them, and the material is stronger, not that I use them.

I like a more vertical angle because the traditional ones crank my wrist pretty bad.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a former USMC officer who is a member here that was part of the team that developed the M16A2.  He has responded extensively in threads asking that question in the retro forum and A2 forums on the site.  There's a lot of info here and people you normally would never get under the same roof.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There's a former USMC officer who is a member here that was part of the team that developed the M16A2.  He has responded extensively in threads asking that question in the retro forum and A2 forums on the site.  There's a lot of info here and people you normally would never get under the same roof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His name is coldblue IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#50]
i can't stand the nub, i actually have a2 grips on two guns but cut the nub off and then sand it down smooth
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top