Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 9:41:01 AM EDT
It is not illegal or immoral but I do need plausible deniability. Any way to send an e-mail and not have it easily traced back to me? Thanks . SS
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Set up an anonymous Yahoo! account?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
And use foreign anonymous proxy servers.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

From a public computer, not your own. Your IP address will appear in the mail headers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
gmail doesn't show your IP in the headers if you use the web interface and not smtp.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
https://vtunnel.com
Then the free webmail of your choice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
set up a google account on a public computer
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From a public computer, not your own. Your IP address will appear in the mail headers.

This.  Then you'll need to gain access to the surveillance video of this public area and destroy it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#8]
don't worry, they shut down [email protected]

or did they?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#9]
How anonymous do you want it to be?

Just so the recipient doesn't know?

Or so that NOBODY knows?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is not illegal or immoral but I do need plausible deniability. Any way to send an e-mail and not have it easily traced back to me? Thanks . SS

I find that statement hard to believe without a further explanation...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Drive around till you find an open wireless connection and do it all on your laptop.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#12]
So your going to tell some guy you've been plowing his wife?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
find obama loving co worker's unlocked computer while at lunch?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Drive around till you find an open wireless connection and do it all on your laptop.

then stick around and watch the governments party van show up...

to be really anonymous, use your computer at a public location on their wireless. but first! change your MAC address. download Tmac and change it. then set up, send email and don't ever visit it with anything but that internet connection with the spoofed MAC.  as soon as you are done you can revert your computer back to its original MAC address.  

A MAC address is like a hardware serial number that your network card broadcasts, like a name tag. each one is unique and contains identifying information like make of card, brand of computer or electronic device.  it is loosely regarded as a permanent number and not often though of as fake.

if you go into a public library you will be on video surveillance, and possibly have to sign in to the computer. now this may be problematic if you are worried that who you are sending this email to will have access to those records.

now if you do something illegal all of this magically stops working and reports you to the government so don't do illegal things, if you do, none of this will protect you, in fact it may help incriminate you, once they know who you are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to your public library. Use their computer to set up an email account. Send email. Easy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I just need the recipient not to know. I'll try the v-tunnel idea. I'm sure the police could figure it out if they wanted to but there will be no need to involve the athor-a-tays. I guess I could just send a letter with less hassle.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Then you'll need to gain access to the surveillance video of this public area and destroy it.

+1

And kill the librarian and all the patrons at the library.  This is getting complicated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go to your public library. Use their computer to set up an email account. Send email. Easy.

Ta da.

But make sure they don't have you log in with a library card or anything that can identify back to you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

And kill the librarian and all the patrons at the library.  This is getting complicated.

Don't forget about the surveillance cameras in all the street lights tracking you driving to the library.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Unnecessary.  He just needs to wear the appropriate ninja attire.

Afterward, he can dress as a pirate, so as to throw investigators off his trail.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just need the recipient not to know. I'll try the v-tunnel idea. I'm sure the police could figure it out if they wanted to but there will be no need to involve the athor-a-tays. I guess I could just send a letter with less hassle. Thanks

Keep your fingerprints off the paper.

Also, many printers will print the serial number of the printer on the paper and this could be tracked back to you.  From an old article:

On Nov. 22, 2004, PC World published an article stating that "several printer companies quietly encode the serial number and the manufacturing code of their color laser printers and color copiers on every document those machines produce. Governments, including the United States, already use the hidden markings to track counterfeiters." According to the article, the high fidelity of outputs from color machines to their original documents suggests that counterfeiters can potentially succeed in creating high-quality counterfeited currency and government documents using these machines. At the request of the United States Secret Service, manufacturers developed mechanisms that print in an encoded form the serial number and the manufacturer's name as indiscernible markings on color documents. The Secret Service and manufacturers would be able to decode these values from the markings and in the event a color machine was used to print a suspected counterfeited document, these values would be used with customer information to discover the identity of the machine's owner.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just need the recipient not to know. I'll try the v-tunnel idea. I'm sure the police could figure it out if they wanted to but there will be no need to involve the athor-a-tays. I guess I could just send a letter with less hassle.  Thanks

better yet email the letter to some one else like a team member with like a buck paypal and have them print and mail it :D

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
If you just want to send some hatemail to your boss just set up a generic account from a library computer and email away.

Dont use your home PC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Don't forget about the surveillance cameras in all the street lights tracking you driving to the library.

Too much hassle.  Send your message from the library then EMP the area.  All evidence gone.  Problem solved.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.torproject.org/

It's good enough for Chinese and Iranian dissidents.

Of course, if you need something a lot less technical and aren't going to have the Chinese government looking for you to squash your pro-democracy dreams, just set up a dummy gmail account and rock on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I echo the guys above.  Do it from the library at a public computer or from a laptop, if you have one, through a public wireless connection.  Do we want to know any of the details?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://vtunnel.com
Then the free webmail of your choice.

I don't see an option for setting up an email account.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#29]
You planning on telling your neighbor that his Russian fiancee is a stripper?

Oops. Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Why not ask someone here to email it from a new gmail account at their public library or even another country?   With the aforementioned ninja and pirate costumes, of course.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why not ask someone  a troll here to email it from a new gmail account at their public library or even another country?   With the aforementioned ninja and pirate costumes, of course.

For opsec the OP is going to have to ice the guy who sends the email, so may as well get two birds with one stone....

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#32]
By all means use someone else's honeypot at a Starbucks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#33]
A one time use webmail account is probably plenty secure. If you are really worried about it, use TOR in conjunction with a web mail app and you're pretty much untraceable to anyone but the NSA, and then only if they really really wanted to know what you were doing and watched you like a hawk.

I would contend that using a publicly accessible wi-fi connection is a bad idea. Anything that could place you under a security camera or connected to an unknown server/router is a inherently insecure. TOR and other proxy services don't accomplish much if you can record the packets at the gateway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#34]
If you mail, mail it from another town's post office in the outside drop box.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Just goto the local ACORN office and ask to borrow their computer
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Or if, for example, you send it from the computers at a library where they keep records of who was on which computer when.  Then you need those records.  The days of walking in to a library and sitting at a free computer is going away fast.

You might try some kind of dummy account via a public wi-fi at starbucks??
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

if you can find a library that doesn't require a library card for their system.  The days of unlimited free computer access and time at libraries is drying up faster than their budgets.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Unnecessary.  He just needs to wear the appropriate ninja attire.

Afterward, he can dress as a pirate, so as to throw investigators off his trail.

Not at Ma Danby's library, she has stated that she intends to follow standard Arfcom advice and when somebody comes in wearing a disguise, she'll shoot first.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#39]
ABORT ABORT ABORT, MaDanby did not just see me in a Ninjarilla coustume. Please tell her to stop tasing me. I mean the Ninjarilla.
Someone here suggested using G-mail. I opened a Gmail account and sent myself a test back to hotmail. I opened it in Excell and saw no header info at all. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ABORT ABORT ABORT, MaDanby did not just see me in a Ninjarilla coustume. Please tell her to stop tasing me. I mean the Ninjarilla.
Someone here suggested using G-mail. I opened a Gmail account and sent myself a test back to hotmail. I opened it in Excell and saw no header info at all. Thanks guys

Did you look at the full header, or just the abridged one?  There is always header info.  Otherwise, e-mail couldn't function.  But there should be nothing that could ID you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#41]
You are correct! There was a long prime number and some other stuff but nothing that said Seastate@ hotmail or anything else that looked like it would mean anything to anyone but a pro.SS
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Buy a laptop with WiFi with cash from a store with no camera's.
Go to an open WiFi source with no camera's.
Connect to the internet, setup emailaccount with live.com/yahoo.com or whatever.
Send email.
Dispose of laptop.

This was told to me by a coughing man in a trenchcoat in an underground parkinglot...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This was told to me by a coughing man in a trenchcoat in an underground parkinglot...

Was he smoking a cigarette and wearing a fedora and leather gloves too?  I know that guy!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Cut each letter out of  magazines, without touching them. Use tweezers and a glue stick to affix letters to a piece of paper found in a wastebasket far from home. Mail it without touching the envelope found in a recycling bin far from home, or licking the stamp from a public mailbox in another state while wearing a Groucho nose & glasses. Then, speed on the way home and spill your guts during the interrogation while getting your ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top