Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 7:48:25 PM EDT
for a workshop.  The Podiatrist running it left it open (he's casual and no-one gives a damn as it is the last thing before we take our final in the Ortho rotation).

Ideally it has to do with medicine affecting the foot.

I need an idea and a link to some info that will let me Bullshi* my way through a 5 minute presentation without doing a lot of work.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
where's those latin fans when you need them?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Rotten.com is interesting, but I found a Pathology website a while back that had some real interesting forensic photos too.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
How about starting off, "I was cleaning my guns when one of them just went off by itself.  It hit me in the foot.  It weren't too bad, 'cause it were only a .38 special.  Then I cleaned the other un' and it went off too,  it were a .357 and that one hurt m'uther foot real bad."

An obvious segue into podiatry.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Ingrown toenails.
Plantar fasciitis.
Bunions.
Heel spurs.
Morton's neuroma.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Cpermd--thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, we have already covered those ad nauseatum.  The Podiatrist is an expert in Diabetic Ulcer care, so that kind of leaves that out also.

I may do it on Medicare changes and reforms that may be coming down the pipe.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Seperated heel.Sometimes hard to diagnois,may not show up on the x-ray.Hurts like hell at times.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Reflexology? Foot fungus? Diabetes and your feet? Take a look at a couple of the med books on:

www.refdesk.com
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The new HIPPA regs and how you can't discuss the patients problem in the hall way, call their name in the waiting room, put their chart outside the door, or have their name on a board near the procedure area, starting in 2003.

Or the new Stark II regs...you can give docs parking, computer access, and little crap (under $200) every year, and that is it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The new HIPPA regs and how you can't discuss the patients problem in the hall way, call their name in the waiting room, put their chart outside the door, or have their name on a board near the procedure area, starting in 2003.

Or the new Stark II regs...you can give docs parking, computer access, and little crap (under $200) every year, and that is it.
View Quote

Most of that(except name calling in waiting room) stuff you are not supposed to do anyway.  JCAHO frowns on the above and will ding you on their inspections if seen.

Medicine affecting feet.  How about effects of Levophed(Norepinephrine) or high dose Dopamine on circulation of feet.

Or how about covering congenital foot deformities

Or that new surgery that is supposed to stop sweaty feet
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]
JCAHO isn't long for this world anyway. CMS (the nazis formerly known as HCFA) have started to make noises about doing their own, and JCAHO has worn out their welcome with their "I'm on the team here, I will make up my own rules for this place" crap.
Plus, their new sentinal events and guidelines are as bad as having the feds inspect, on top of the freeform standards problem.
If they can't get the states to require cert as part of the state contracts I think we will see the end of them in the next 10 years. They  have done a little in this state as far as buying their way into contract requirements, but in the end the state unions would rather have union employees doing contract inspections.

edited---why the hell can't they just call it "big screw up"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
How about any new treatments for gout;  Still see some of that in the big toe.  Also could probably find some info on arthroscopic surgery
of the ankle and foot.  This has really cut down on recovery time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
How about Pes Planus.

Anyone know any good sites for info/pics of
flat feet?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Due to the weather, the Dr. who was to run the workshop couldn't make it.  The 9 students wound up giving the presentations to each other.  

I did it on Achilles Tendon Rupture.  Touched briefly on Achilles Tendonosis vs. Tendinitis nomenclature (inflammation of the paratenon vs. degeneration of the tendon itself).  The reason for medial rupture being more common, why the Os calis is the rupture site, etc.  Signs (Thompson's test, primarily) and symptoms of the rupture.  Since it was an  Ortho workshop, I didn't go into surgical repair, but into conservative management--8 wk. BK cast plantarflexed position, PT afterwards, with orthotic use to prevent excess pronation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

AFARR

PS--Most of the others also did a casual job.  One in particular stood out--the effect of COX 2 inhibitors on healing vs. NSAIDS.  If I recall properly, the NSAIDS increased collagen cross linking by 40+% over no NSAIDS, and the COX-2's DECREASED crosslinking by 30% in rat studies.  I need to get a copy of the article to get the particulars straight.  Sounds like the COX-2 "miracle" drugs don't quite cut it in some cases.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My bit of advice from the gynecological world is, if it smells bad dont eat it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top