Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 7:21:28 PM EDT
My little man was obviously in pain today, so I took him to the vet. He was diagnosed with intervertebral disk disease. They gave him methocarbamol, and deramax for pain - neither of which have touched his pain in the least. Also they gave him a steroid injection.

I have no more money to take him to the vet again to get a second opinion or more pain meds. He is in obvious agony and I can't stand to see him hurting. I called the emergency vet and paid the 25 to talk to him and he said that if he was in enough pain that we could give him tramadol, but he wouldn't mention a dosage without us bringing him in - which we can't afford. My fiancee has tramadol but we have no clue how much to give him, or even if we can give it to him along with these other meds. Can someone please help us? I can't stand to see Remy is this much pain and we feel helpless. If there are any vets on this board that would be willing to give me a call and suggest a dosage I would greatly appreciate it. Any help at all is greatly appreciated, actually. Thanks guys. If anyone CAN call and wants my number then PM me please. Here is a picture of the little guy:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.

I hope someone can help us.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a vet, but 1800 pet med says;

Pet   Dogs: (pain relief)
Weight   All weights
Dosage   The usual dose is 0.45-1.8mg per pound of pet’s body weight every 8-12 hours

Link

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you! I wonder if the dosage isn't exact if it's dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you! I wonder if the dosage isn't exact if it's dangerous.

Give them a call - they have vets on staff and can probably give you more specific dosage guidelines.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I know it doesn't help you right now, but since he has already been seen, your vet might be willing to change his meds over the phone in the morning. I'm not sure how it works in your area, but some canine pain meds, like tramadol, are the same as for humans. I've had a vet call in canine prescriptions to my human pharmacy for me. I use a real compounding pharmacy, not a chain, so they may actually be the supplier for vets in our area anyway, but I was surprised that it could be done that way.

FWIW, what was done for your boy appears to be a fairly standard treatment for that disorder, so if he's not responding well,  I'd fully expect your vet to work with you to fix the situation without requiring more fees except for meds themselves.

Hang in there
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank y'all for helping us. I'm going to give the vet a call as soon as they open. I know that he probably did what he thought was best but it's just not working.

Seeing remy in pain and unable to use his legs is one of the hardest things I've ever done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top