Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 5:34:10 AM EST
I'm looking to buy my first PDA and I was hoping to get some feedback on what to get/what not to get. I really don't want to spend more than $300 unless someone can convince me that I really need to spend more. I did a little research on Palms and I saw that Dell came out with the Axium. Any experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I knew I could ask you guys and get honest, no B.S. reviews. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:59:00 AM EST
The new Dell's look pretty neat. Esp. if you get a wireless wifi card and surf from that thing. AND, the price is really good. I had a Visor Prism which went bad and sold it for parts on e bay. Bought a mono screen one to replace it because I bought too many periperals for that damn thing. (A GPS, MP3 player, add'l memory card and the eyemodule camera) I'm sure someone will chime in the the new Dells.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:16:40 AM EST
The Dell is THE hot deal right now, $250 for 400mhz,color anti-reflective screen! check here, its the ARFCOM for PPCs no PALM crap tho. [url]http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:16:30 AM EST
Here's an opinion: If you're not an organized person to begin with, don't get one. I got a PalmIII years ago when they were the rage and I've used it a handfull of times. I'm just not a 'busy' guy so there isn't much to keep track of.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:21:15 AM EST
I'm about this " close to buying one of the iPAQ H5455. I like that it has bluetooth (so does my phone, as well as having GPRS) and WiFi built in. I was looking at the new Sony Clie NZ90...but for that price, running PalmOS...it's not worth it to me. The screen is *beautiful* on the Clie, but it's also "non-standard"...lots of palm apps won't be able to take advantage of it. (Not to mention it's 16mb of RAM limit) The only reason I haven't yet...it's kinda expensive. I'll probably wind up buying it today, just need to figure out if CompUSA is cheaper than some of the fly-by-night places on PriceWatch.com..
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:22:50 AM EST
I have an iPAQ. They run about $300. I like the fact that it has MS Word and Excel on it, allowing me to switch docs between my PC and PDA. And the fact that it syncs with Outlook is great. I imagine other Pocket PCs will do the same.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:27:36 AM EST
I also have an Ipaq which I absolutely love! I can't say I use it to its full potential, but I still enjoy it. I've spent many long boring train rides playing games on it and I never miss an appointment! However, I'd probably lean towards the new Dells if i had to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:30:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:36:22 AM EST
I have had both a Palm and now have a HP Jornada (Pocket PC) hands down the Pocket PC is a better more powerful PDA. Palm has more software now (but that will change shortly) but Pocket is more powerful and now cheaper with similar features. The Dell Axim is the best Pocket PC buy right now. For $200 after rebate you get: Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Premium Intel® X-ScaleTM Processor at 300MHz 32MB SDRAM Memory 32MB Intel StrataFlashTM ROM memory CompactFlash Type II and Secure Digital/Multi Media Card Slots Removable/Rechargeable Battery For $300 after rebate you get: Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Premium Intel® X-ScaleTM Processor at 400MHz 64MB SDRAM Memory 48MB Intel StrataFlashTM ROM memory CompactFlash Type II and Secure Digital/Multi Media Card Slots Removable/Rechargeable Battery With that kind of storage and power you can use it as an MP3 player, E-Book reader, play video clips, with a GPS module as a GPS mapping system and on and on. To get features similar to the Dell units in a Palm OS you going to have to spent $500-$700 and you still will not have all the power of the Axim. If you just want an address book the cheap Palm OS units are fine if you want more get a Pocket PC machine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:41:44 AM EST
Just bought the Dell AXIM. All my other computers, both home and work, are Dell procuts. Great little computer. I have been using a Palm Vx for the past few years. Wanted the ability to have excel and word. The Dell uses Microsoft exclusively. Will use Outlook and Active Sync 3.5 for e:mail, appointments, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:17:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By BennyFranklin: Here's an opinion: If you're not an organized person to begin with, don't get one.
View Quote
OTOH - I am not an organized person. I got a scratch n dent m105 for a cheap display on a microcontroller project I was working on for all of $65. I found the address book extremely handy. I use the calendar for keeping track mostly of birthdays (got 15 nieces and nephews), though occasionally I put other stuff in it. Would I have bought one at $300? No. I'm glad I happened into it, because I do feel it's well worth the $65 I paid, even though it is only monochrome.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:38:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By ORM-D:
Originally Posted By BennyFranklin: Here's an opinion: If you're not an organized person to begin with, don't get one.
View Quote
OTOH - I am not an organized person. I got a scratch n dent m105 for a cheap display on a microcontroller project I was working on for all of $65. I found the address book extremely handy. I use the calendar for keeping track mostly of birthdays (got 15 nieces and nephews), though occasionally I put other stuff in it. Would I have bought one at $300? No. I'm glad I happened into it, because I do feel it's well worth the $65 I paid, even though it is only monochrome.
View Quote
Oh it's for certain that YMMV. I got mine thinking this would be a great way to get all my stuff together. Nope. Still have numbers in my cell phone, email and Palm that are all different and incomplete. I've used the appointment thing once and the notepad once. I'm just not busy enough to have a full blown schedule handler. My life is lived on post-its and the backs of checkout receipts. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:10:20 AM EST
I've got to tell you - I can't figure out what they are good for, or at least, what I would use one for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:17:14 AM EST
I got myself one of the Dell Axims. Sure, I work for Dell, but the lower price is what got me. Sure, the Axim doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth integrated, but it does have a SD card slot AND a CF card slot. Adding a WiFi or Bluetooth CF card is easy, and ain't too expensive. It's easy to use, comes with decent software already installed. The MP3 playing in Media Player would be nice if it had an EQ, tho. I mostly use it for my calendar, so I don't forget all the shit on the weekends I have going on (matches and tournaments and stuff). I also use it for making notes (like shopping lists, or lists of where I can get cool gun parts and shit!) and I got Pocket Money which interfaces with Money on my PC. So when I'm out and about, I can enter my expenditures, and it updates my Money on my PC automatically. Big benefit when you use an ATM and are prone to forget transactions! For the price, I think the Dell Axim is great. I'd recommend it even if I didn't work here [:)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:21:50 AM EST
I've got a Handspring Treo 90. Color screen and KEYBOARD! I can't stand that "Grafiti" nonsense. [img]http://www.handspring.com/products/treo90/images/treo90_overview_feature1.jpg[/img] More information [url=http://www.handspring.com/products/treo90/index.jhtml] here [/url]. If you're extra-techie, you can get the Treo 180, 270 or 300, which are phones, too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:27:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By BennyFranklin: Here's an opinion: If you're not an organized person to begin with, don't get one. I got a PalmIII years ago when they were the rage and I've used it a handfull of times. I'm just not a 'busy' guy so there isn't much to keep track of.
View Quote
same here
Top Top