Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2015 10:31:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:17:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:44:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:06:10 PM EST
You should be able to pick up some Cole-Haan shoes at DSW for well under $100. I think I paid about $50 for a pair of tassled loafers with the air sole, and about $75 for a pair of wingtips, also with the air sole. Very comfortable, both look great and are leather soled, so they can be resoled when needed. Since you appear to be new at the dress shoe game, try to get at least 2 pairs if you can afford it so you can rotate them, and buy cedar shoe trees to put in them at night; I cannot stress this enough. The shoe trees will absorb a lot of the moisture from the day's wear, and will keep the leather from staying creased too much so you don't look like a hobo. Buy a decent shoe polish and take care of your shoes, they will last a very long time if you do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:35:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:40:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2015 5:43:41 PM EST by LV1976]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Been wearing dress shoes daily for many years. Last few years I have been wearing Chaps shoes. They last about a year and then I get new ones. This most recent pair the sole came off after three months.

I've always used a shoe tree for my tux shoes, not for everyday shoes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LV1976:
You should be able to pick up some Cole-Haan shoes at DSW for well under $100. I think I paid about $50 for a pair of tassled loafers with the air sole, and about $75 for a pair of wingtips, also with the air sole. Very comfortable, both look great and are leather soled, so they can be resoled when needed. Since you appear to be new at the dress shoe game, try to get at least 2 pairs if you can afford it so you can rotate them, and buy cedar shoe trees to put in them at night; I cannot stress this enough. The shoe trees will absorb a lot of the moisture from the day's wear, and will keep the leather from staying creased too much so you don't look like a hobo. Buy a decent shoe polish and take care of your shoes, they will last a very long time if you do.

Been wearing dress shoes daily for many years. Last few years I have been wearing Chaps shoes. They last about a year and then I get new ones. This most recent pair the sole came off after three months.

I've always used a shoe tree for my tux shoes, not for everyday shoes.

If you're wearing them daily then I'd definitely recommend buying as many pairs as you can afford and rotating them, along with using the shoe trees. The leather soles will wear out, but they can be resoled by a cobbler or sent back to the manufacturer, and the uppers should most definitely last more than a few years if you care for them. I still say go for the Cole Haans at DSW (the Nike air soles are a godsend), but another good place to look is Burlington Coat Factory, I have often seen Allen Edmonds for sale there at very reasonable prices as well. Also, sorry for the assumption you were a novice, you just sounded like you didn't know where to go with shoes .

Use the shoe trees for your everyday shoes, they need them more than your tuxedo shoes. Shoe Trees
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:50:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2015 10:53:34 PM EST by medicmandan]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:07:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:45:24 AM EST
Cheapest pair of Cole Haan lace ups at DSW was $150 and they didn't have the Nike insoles. Much cheaper NIB on eBay, some as cheap as $50. Probably go that route.
View Quote

Ugh, was that in the clearance section?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:58:30 AM EST
Shop for JOHNSTON AND MURPHY
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:11:23 AM EST
It might take some shopping around to hit your desired price point, but I've found my Ecco dress shoes to be extremely comfortable. The pair I own are rubber soled and I believe that's true of most, if not all, of their shoes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:15:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2015 10:16:09 AM EST by medicmandan]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:18:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:19:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:27:35 AM EST
Red Wing 4070 Oxford is what I settled on after going through a similar battle. Link

Kept wearing previous shoes out in no time flat. These things look great after 6 months. Slightly outside your price range perhaps, but I'd still encourage you to go check a pair out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:47:59 PM EST
allen edmonds is all i buy, exp but you get what you pay for
Top Top