Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/28/2006 5:20:16 PM EST
What method worked best for you to quit ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:22:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Homer Jay Simpson:
Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:23:01 PM EST
Stop buying cigarettes. Soon, your friends won't let you bum smokes from them anymore. You can't smoke 'em if you ain't go 'em.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:24:21 PM EST
I am still trying to quit, thread tagged for future answers to this one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:24:29 PM EST
I decided I needed to stop smoking and put the pack of cigs and my lighter on a shelf in the garage when I came home from work that day. I haven't smoked since.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:26:06 PM EST
deciding you want to quit. if you don't want to quit you won't. once you have made up your mind it is very easy. i quit almost 3 years ago after smoking for 10 years. i have not had one puff since the day i decided to quit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:26:56 PM EST
Zyban.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:30:35 PM EST
Quitting is easy, I've done it a hundred times.

Seriously, if you don't have it in you to quit cold turkey, try switching to cigars.

You'll feel better, your dosage of nicotine will be lower, you'll find it easier to cut down, you won't hack in the mornings, your lungs will clear, and you won't have to go through the "this is the last time I'll ever get to smoke" thing.

Cigarettes are too handy, you can step out or away and smoke one pretty much anywhere, anytime.

Try not to inhale.

How much do you smoke?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:31:07 PM EST
I don't know why everybody talks about how hard it is to quit smoking. Hell, I've quit like twenty times.

I'm on Skoal now, but down to like twice a day.
I've got to get off it as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:31:44 PM EST
Cold turkey.

It's rough the first couple of weeks, but when you want to quit bad enough, it's certainly doable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:33:07 PM EST
When I quit I just stopped buying/smoking cigarettes. Cold turkey.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:33:11 PM EST
Most smokers have a routine in the morning.

Put off having your first cig 15 minutes tomorrow morning. Then 30 minutes the second morning. Then 45 minutes the third morning.

You see a pattern developing here?

Pretty soon your first cig of the day will be when your ready to go to bed that night.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:36:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ninian:

Auricular Therapytinyurl.com/yjqffk worked great for me, did it on a whim was 2+ packs a day for 25 yrs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:37:51 PM EST
Joined the Army.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:39:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ninian:

Chantix and a support group will be your best bet.

Goto your doctor and ask for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:41:25 PM EST
Picked a day to quit. Quit that day cold turkey. I picked a day about a month ahead and was ready that day
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:41:57 PM EST
I used "The Patch"........and I am using it again because I fell off the wagon last week.

Accountant
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:42:02 PM EST
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2006/NEW01370.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:42:07 PM EST
Throw them out (cold turkey), change your routine and don't congregate with your smoking buddies at work when they want to go out and have a smoke. Chew on a straw or a coffee stirrer. It will give you something to do with your hands and mouth.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:47:29 PM EST
You missed the start of the great ARFCOM smokeout 'bout a month ago.

I've been cigarette free almost 30 days. And this is after trying and failing a LOT.

Three things are making this work out this time.

1. The Patch. Smoking is a combination of the physical addiction to nicotine and the "routine" and "mental" addition to the act of smoking. My grandfather smoked after WWII because he associated cigarettes with positive shit: The lines getting resupplied. They got food, ammo, and three cigarettes in with their C-Rations. That happens to us to: We smoke during "breaks", we smoke after meals, we smoke with a cuppa coffee, we smoke after sex. Bottom line, the patch takes away the "nicotine" monkey for a while so you can focus on the mental part.

2. Exercise. Run, jog, swim or do SOMETHING once a day that will make you suck air. It will seriously keep you motivated.

3. Get a Quitting Buddy. Have a wingman in the process. People are competitive. Do something with it. Put a reward out there. Compare notes, compare withdrawal symptoms. The first week or 10 days is utter hell. Your brain will be in a fog because of the withdrawal, and its good to have a friend you know is dealing with the same stuff. You can vent at each other instead of your coworkers, family, dog, cat, etc.

That's my experience so far, and it feels GREAT to not be sucking down those fucking coffin nails. Try it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:18:41 PM EST
You are going to also have to give up bars and drinking because people who do that also smoke and you will be around them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:24:21 PM EST
I smoked for 18 years and quit using NICODERM patches. The trick is to ignore the instructions and replace the patch with a new one as soon as you start getting urges.I stayed on the patches much longer than recomended and i reduced the milligrams when I felt comfortable. The patches work, give it a shot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:59:00 PM EST
I'm on the gum again. I quit almost 2 years ago. Over the summer I had work get stressfull and started having occassional cigars. After awhile it was constant cigars and I knew I was in trouble. I pitched them Sept. 3rd and figure I'll chew the gum until I feel good about the cravings again. I asked my Dr. about going too long on the gum and he said that it doesn't matter, it's just a drug delivery device without the carcinogens. Nicotine doesn't kill you, tobacco does. My doc said do the gum as long as you need it.

Keep it up, we'll all kick it eventually!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:14:58 PM EST
My method, I quit cold turkey WITH my wife. You basically hate each other for a week and then it starts to get better. After that it is much easier because of peer pressure because neither wants to be the one who"couldn't do it"

After a month or so we didn't even think about them anymore,

Good luck to you, it can be done.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:17:43 PM EST
Buy the nastious tasting cigs you can think of and dont smoke your regular brand,after awhile your brain will recognize the cigs as something you dont like. Keep switching brands so you wont become used to them. Smoking women's type cigs will do the trick not only do they taste like shit but you will look unmanly smoking them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:18:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2006 7:18:55 PM EST by DWFAN]
I decided to quit on Wednesday night and bought some generic Commit lozenges.

Haven't had a smoke since 7:45am Thursday, and I only REALLY craved one twice since then.

Good Luck everyone
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:24:36 PM EST
I moved to Wa state from TX. Smokes went from 2.35 a pack to 5.50 a pack. I smoked a pack and a half a day. 3000 dollars a year to kill myself early. Easy choice after that. I can buy a damn car or hell even a FA mac 11 after just one year. I have been smoke free for 3 years. Thats 9 grand man.

Add it up. then take that money and put it aside.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:30:36 PM EST
i saw this and now im seriously thinking of quiting.

smoker's body

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:34:01 PM EST
It's easy, all you gotta do is...

brb, smoke break. Ill finish when I get back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:00:25 PM EST
the patch worked great for me.
Top Top