Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:24:43 PM EDT
Rule #1. No laughing.
My new husband gave me an ar-15 for my birthday 3 years ago. Our first year out hunting together was so-so. The second year, I spotted 3 deer one day, but was unable to pull the trigger. He ended up getting all 3 of them. Last year we didn't have much luck. Our second year, after he dressed them and we were talking about it in the tent, he said, "Do you know why you didn't kill those deer?" Well, thinking I was going to get some enlightenment into the art of hunting, I said, "No, why, tell me." He said, "Cause you're a pussy."  Funny, ha ha.
So, here I am getting ready for a week in the woods for opening season, (this year its either sex every day, sweet), and I'm scared of disappointing him. I hear about something called gun shy or trigger shy, or something like that, maybe thats what it is. Do you have any pointers to give me, to help me overcome the first kill? I'm dead serious.
I sit here and tell him I'm going to get a deer this year, but inside I'm all doubt.
Any encouraging words would be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Your husband sounds like a sweet guy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't want/can't bring yourself to do it, don't do it. It's OK. I don'tquit making fun of Mrs gorilla for not eating deermeat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you're just not a hunter.

No shame in that for a woman.

Do you eat venison???

Do you have any problem cutting up chickens at home???

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, don't get me wrong, hes a great guy. When I saw those 3 deer, I had my scope right on them, I told him 3 times, "I have them in my scope, should I pull the trigger?" He told me yes 3 times, lol, till they smelled us and were taking off, he had no choice but to take over. He gave me every chance to kill them first, but I couldn't do it.
Yes, I eat venison, I make some kick ass jerky. I can cut up a chicken, no problem, even helped him clean one of the deer.

We kill for food.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your husband sounds like a sweet guy.

+1

Sounds like you're hunting for the wrong reasons. It also sounds like your husband is too.

That said, don't look at a deer as an animal, look at it as a target. You're simply engaging a moving target on a course of fire. Engage it and move through the rest of the course.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Why kill a deer if you can't or don't want to?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Just aim carefully for the soft brown eye, and squeeze the trigger. Think about trigger control and the rest will happen naturally.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave up hunting a while back. Just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger anymore.

Your husband is either:

1. young and dumb
2. just dumb

OR

You are a good sport.

He should be trying to help you not shame you into the kill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't even hunt at all.  Well, I shoot paper, empty bottles, propane tanks, and whatever else I happen to find.  

To each their own.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you don't want/can't bring yourself to do it, don't do it. It's OK. I don'tquit making fun of Mrs gorilla for not eating deermeat.

+1 i know men that won't do it either. i don't hunt for sport. i have no problem killing one for food but i don't consider it "fun".

for me, the killing isn't the fun part.  It's the hunting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Ideas to get used to killing for the table:

Can you hunt rabbits, squirrels, pheasants at this time?  

Or get a live chicken or turkey and butcher it?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 i know men that won't do it either. i don't hunt for sport. i have no problem killing one for food but i don't consider it "fun".

BIG +1

I also do not hunt for sport and I don't care for the taste of venison. I also don't care for field dressing an animal. On the other hand I know how to do it and if I needed to I could do it easily to survive. With that in mind , could you do it if you really NEEDED to?

Don't feel pressured and if your husband make you feel bad then just don't go with him next time. If I were him I would feel blessed you were even there.

Jake
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

for me, the killing isn't the fun part.  It's the hunting.

+1.  I have been thinking that maybe after this year I just get a camera with some sort of scope device.  I'll got"hunting" and get the deer in the crosshairs and "click"  gotcha.  I like walking in the woods more than the killing.  Although I do like the meat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you afraid to pull the trigger?

If so, is it because you're not sure you want to shoot the animal or you're afraid of making a mistake when shooting like either missing completely or not getting a clean kill?

Also, maybe you're hunting for the wrong reason. Could you only be going just to spend time with your husband instead of going because its something you want to try?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

I am a shooter, as opposed to being a hunter.

Although I DO go out during deer season, it's just generally for the exercise.

Back to our regularly scheduled problem.
My advice, go hunting on an empty stomach.  Works wonders.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Another "SHOOTER" only here. Every year I think about hunting (want to get a moose with the old -06), but I just don't feel like going through with it. It's not just the killing part either, it's the gutting, packing-out, skinning, butchering, etc. It's a pain and I'm not sure that I think it'll be worth it. I grew-up hunting. Used to shoot a lot of cottontail rabbits and skin them and eat them every winter. But I just don't feel like doing it anymore. My dad's the same way. He's got BIG bucks mounted on the wall that he shot. But he doesn't have the heart for it any longer. Either of us would hunt in a second if we needed the meat. But since we don't, we choose not to. There's no shame in that, and if anyone thinks there is, they're playing the great-white-hunter-he-man tiny genital role.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Hunting is more than the kill. The kill is the end game.
Hunting is inserting yourself back into nature as the predator and getting away from the world for a while.

As for the husband,
He should be happy just to have you out there enjoying the woods and the experience only hunting can.
If you cannot pull the trigger don't worry about it! Be there to enjoy everything else around you. If he is only there to kill then he has lost the whole reason for hunting, at least in my mind.

Also, three deer at once? Isn't there a bag limit of one per hunter until checking the animal in? Sounds unethical and greedy to take 3 deer at the same time.

+1 for you even going out there in the first place!!!
He has a winner of a wife and doesn't even know it...

RW3
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Usually 'Buck Fever' goes away the second time. Almost always the first time a human is about to pull the trigger on an animal they just cant do it. (It means they have a heart) But usually the second time it has passed and they can concentrate and breathing and trigger control, then BAM.

Next time you will probably be able to pull the trigger, but if it happens again maybe hunting is just not for you, no biggie.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Some people don't bring home the meat.  Those people make the sammich's.  There is nothing wrong with that as long as the two types are teamed up well.

Personally, the point of hunting is being outdoors.  Taking a shot & getting a kill is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't want that on your conscience, don't do it.

If you dont mind, you just have a freezing problem...think of it as shooting. Focus on your breathing, your front sight or reticle, and your trigger control. Remove the animal from the equation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is my simple remedy without all the philosophy.

When you get the deer in your crosshairs and have a good shot.  Keep the crosshairs centered and slowly squeeze the trigger.  The shot should suprise you.  Think of it as gently squeezing a lemon.  The rifle will do it's part, no sweat.

If you stay focused on the crosshairs and not the deer, you will be fine.  Just squeeze.  

-White Horse
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah don't sweat it.  If you don't want to kill the deer, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  And your hubby should really examine why he hunts, too.  If he feels he has to guilt-trip you into shooting the deer, there is something wrong.  But what is it you're more afraid of?  Taking a life, or screwing up the shot?  In any case, tell your husband politely to get the fuck off your case.  It seems like he has to validate his own manliness by killing an animal but furthermore by belittling you about not being able to do the same.  Jerk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hunting is more than the kill. The kill is the end game.
Hunting is inserting yourself back into nature as the predator and getting away from the world for a while.

As for the husband,
He should be happy just to have you out there enjoying the woods and the experience only hunting can.
If you cannot pull the trigger don't worry about it! Be there to enjoy everything else around you. If he is only there to kill then he has lost the whole reason for hunting, at least in my mind.

Also, three deer at once? Isn't there a bag limit of one per hunter until checking the animal in? Sounds unethical and greedy to take 3 deer at the same time.

+1 for you even going out there in the first place!!!
He has a winner of a wife and doesn't even know it...

RW3

+ A WHOLE BUNCH - he's lucky to have a lady like you.  Don't worry about and try to enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#25]
After you end up hitting one or two with your car it becomes a little easier to kill them.

But if you really want to be able to shoot them I would suggest getting a full size deer paper target and practice shooting that.  You'll get used to seeing the deer and pulling the trigger...which seems to be your sticking point.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I hunted every year for many years when I was younger.  I loved the time away from the city, work and responsibility.  I enjoyed the time with my buddies and I enjoyed being in the wild enviroment.  I hunted rifle, pistol and bow.  The only thing I didn't like was the actual kill.  I'm big and people tend to think I'm mean, but I love animals of all kinds and just hated killing them.  I found that despite being one of the best shots and outdoorsmen in my group I was getting fewer and fewer kills.  Finally in my early 30's I stopped hunting entirely.  Don't get me wrong, I think there's nothing wrong with hunting for meat, but I didn't need the meat and I didn't think it was fun.   I've gone on a few hunting trips since then but with no intention of killing, but instead going for the sheer enjoyment of the trip, the comraderie and the stalk.  When I get to the kill point I'll either take a picture or stand up and say BOO!  I feel this keeps the skills intact, if I ever needed meat it wouldn't be hard to pull a trigger instead of a shutter release.

If you're like me maybe you need to take a camera instead of a hunting rifle.  Take a weapon for protection, but trip a shutter instead of a trigger.  Keep the skills intact and enjoy the trip, but save the game for the day when you really need it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I had my gun for months before I could actually fire it, but he helped me overcome that. I was afraid of kick, but quite happy there isn't any.
My love taught me how to make bullets, something I was afraid of doing, (messing with gunpowder).
He taught me how to clean my gun and dress a deer.
He tried to teach me to use a bow, but I'm not strong enough to use one, at least I can't use his.
I am not afraid to kill a deer or turkey or anything else we happen upon, (thats legal and in season), I guess I'm afraid of doing it wrong. Trust me, when I finally kill one, he is going to be happier than I will be.
We both love the outdoors, and if we don't kill any deer, just being in the woods for a week will be rewarding enough.
I will let you all know how I do after opening week. Thanks to all of you for your input, its greatly appreciated.
BTW, limit is 12 a season, 2 of which can be buck. No more tags here, just a card we fill out.
We can use the meat, freezer is looking pretty empty.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had my gun for months before I could actually fire it, but he helped me overcome that. I was afraid of kick, but quite happy there isn't any.
My love taught me how to make bullets, something I was afraid of doing, (messing with gunpowder).
He taught me how to clean my gun and dress a deer.
He tried to teach me to use a bow, but I'm not strong enough to use one, at least I can't use his.
I am not afraid to kill a deer or turkey or anything else we happen upon, (thats legal and in season), I guess I'm afraid of doing it wrong. Trust me, when I finally kill one, he is going to be happier than I will be.
We both love the outdoors, and if we don't kill any deer, just being in the woods for a week will be rewarding enough.
I will let you all know how I do after opening week. Thanks to all of you for your input, its greatly appreciated.
BTW, limit is 12 a season, 2 of which can be buck. No more tags here, just a card we fill out.
We can use the meat, freezer is looking pretty empty.

Oh.  Well in that case, your rifle-fu is weak and needs work, so that you have the confidence to hit the game in the appropriate area.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Tarebay try not to look at this as if you have a problem.  Buck Fever happens for a lot of reason to almost everyone.  I have yet to talk to a hunter who hasn't experienced it in one form or another.

My husband has shot almost more deer in his life than I have seen yet last season was useless due to buck fever.  Together we joke about it as that's about all you can do, shurg it off and go on.

If you set yourself up with a lot of pressure than you have a higher chance of failing.  I guide for a lot of men for Elk and Deer and know first hand that there's more to hunting then being able to pull the trigger.  If you get to the point that you just do not think you can do it, then set yourself out to be the best support person around.  Drive pick up, play scout, help in the camp, run errands.

One thing you should try doing though before you throw in the towel completely is buy a bunch of silouettes of deer.  Put them up and litterally put a 1000 rounds in the kill zone.  Make yourself automatic about it.  Then when you're in a hunting situation zero in on the kill zone and focus on gently pulling the trigger.

I have to do this myself when I'm shooting big game [Elk, Bear] as I get so darn excited I can't hardly stand it.

Lastly have your husband send me an IM.  I'd like to chew his butt a little for the pressure he has you under!

Best of luck, Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top