Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2007 5:25:50 AM EDT
After a restart on my computer a few weeks ago the dell screen popped up and then the screen went black with just a flashing cursor in the top left corner. Keyboard doesn't work etc...

So on that day I turned the computer off, unplugged the power supply and it came back on like nothing was wrong, however the next morning the same thing happened but unplugging the power supply didn't fix it. I had to unplug the hard drive, then it came on like normal.

So I went and bought a hard drive, installed it and it did the exact same thing, installed a new RAM chip and nothings changed, drove to a buddies house last night (60 miles one way) and of course it booted up just fine for him, infact we restarted the computer 10 times and all 10 it came up just fine. Drove 60 miles home only to find a flashing cursor in the top left corner [reallymegamad]

i'm on my Mother in Laws laptop for today but she needs it back tonight, so any ideas as to what the problem is?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the room hot where this computer is at and/or are the fans working?

(0_o)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
This may sound stupid but plug it in to a different breaker circuit in the house.  I've seen problems because of some voltage on the neutral line.  

In general 80% of all problems are power related.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you swap RAM, or merely add to it?

Still could be a number of things...  Need to trouble shoot it.  Could be RAM, motherboard, or power supply.  

When you say you installed new HDD, did you replace old one?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Power issue.  Try taking the computer to a different outlet, or if using a surge strip plug directly into the wall, if the Voltage/amperage is off even alittle bit the system will not boot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Replaced the RAM, the power supply is 3 months old at most and we replaced the HD.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Power issue.  Try taking the computer to a different outlet, or if using a surge strip plug directly into the wall, if the Voltage/amperage is off even alittle bit the system will not boot.

I tried unplugging it from the power strip and plugging it directly into the wall and got the same thing, I'll run out to the garage and get an extension cord and try a diffrent outlet all together.

ETA: No change
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
BIOS battery replacement would be my next step.  It really sounds like a motherboard problem to me though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BIOS battery replacement would be my next step.  It really sounds like a motherboard problem to me though.

I thought mother board as well but why would it run perfect at my buddies house but not at mine? In the 90 minutest hat we were over there messing with it not once did it do what it's doing now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you own a digital multimeter? What I always do when I suspect power problems, is test the voltages on the power supply. The expected voltages are usually printed on the PS case, somewhere. If not, just google them. At any rate, with the power supply connected to the motherboard and all peripherals and the computer turned on, check the voltage on each wire. If the measured voltage is within +- 5%, you're good to go. Any more than that, and you've either got a bad power supply, or a problem with the power source itself.

I used to fix TONS of "wierd" problems checking power supply voltages this way, and using 5% as a reasonable tolerance. I also won't buy cheap power supplies any more, after replacing literally hundreds of various "bargain" power supplies for a school district during my days as a PC tech.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Still no answer. I will type slower this time.

IS YOUR COMPUTER OVERHEATING?

you get the same results when a motherboard gets too hot.

(0_o)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you own a digital multimeter? What I always do when I suspect power problems, is test the voltages on the power supply. The expected voltages are usually printed on the PS case, somewhere. If not, just google them. At any rate, with the power supply connected to the motherboard and all peripherals and the computer turned on, check the voltage on each wire. If the measured voltage is within +- 5%, you're good to go. Any more than that, and you've either got a bad power supply, or a problem with the power source itself.

I used to fix TONS of "wierd" problems checking power supply voltages this way, and using 5% as a reasonable tolerance. I also won't buy cheap power supplies any more, after replacing literally hundreds of various "bargain" power supplies for a school district during my days as a PC tech.

Don't own one and it's an Antec power supply, is that a cheapy?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Still no answer. I will type slower this time.

IS YOUR COMPUTER OVERHEATING?

you get the same results when a motherboard gets too hot.

(0_o)

When it ran we left it on all of the time so that may have happened but I'm pretty sure that it's not overheating since it only runs for a few seconds (enough time for the cursor to show up) before I turn it off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought mother board as well but why would it run perfect at my buddies house but not at mine? In the 90 minutest hat we were over there messing with it not once did it do what it's doing now.

Heat related problems can be really hard to troubleshoot.  Was it cool/cold on your trip to your buddies house?  It could be that it boots when everything is cool, but doesn't after it has warmed up.  Or it could be the opposite.  If the BIOS battery is gone, it may be producing enough power when it is warm but not when it is cold.

You may have to punt and take it to a computer shop for troubleshooting and repairs.  They should be able to find a replacement motherboard that will fit your case and re-use your processor, power supply, memory and hard drive for around a hundred bucks if the motherboard has gone out.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you thrown a Knoppix CD into it to see if it's an OS issue?

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't own one and it's an Antec power supply, is that a cheapy?

Nope. Not a cheapie. Not a guarantee that it's good, either.

Since you don't have a meter, about the only two things I can suggest are making absolutely sure heat has nothing to do with it (all fans working, etc) and parts substitution.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat related problems can be really hard to troubleshoot.  Was it cool/cold on your trip to your buddies house?  It could be that it boots when everything is cool, but doesn't after it has warmed up.  Or it could be the opposite.  If the BIOS battery is gone, it may be producing enough power when it is warm but not when it is cold.

You may have to punt and take it to a computer shop for troubleshooting and repairs.  They should be able to find a replacement motherboard that will fit your case and re-use your processor, power supply, memory and hard drive for around a hundred bucks if the motherboard has gone out.  Good luck!

Yes it was cool the entire trip there, in his house, on the way home and where it sits in the computer room.

..and PCs have batteries?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I also won't buy cheap power supplies any more, after replacing literally hundreds of various "bargain" power supplies for a school district during my days as a PC tech.

Words of wisdom.  I've never even worked in an IT capacity and I've replaced more cheap power supplies than I care to remember.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Check the boot up sequence and make sure the HDD is first - also make sure there is not a CD/DVD in the machine when you boot.  I have seen systems fail to boot when having a DVD in the drive even though boot from HDD was the first choice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Might be the cause of your problem

(0_o)

I knew what it was when I saw that it was a youtube link
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Check the capacitors on the motherboard and see if they are bulged or leaking.  What model Dell is it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it was cool the entire trip there, in his house, on the way home and where it sits in the computer room.

There is a bios battery right on the motherboard.

(0_o)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Check the boot up sequence and make sure the HDD is first - also make sure there is not a CD/DVD in the machine when you boot.  I have seen systems fail to boot when having a DVD in the drive even though boot from HDD was the first choice.

No idea how to do that and the CD/DVD trays are empty.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Get diagnostics and run on the machine.  When you get a flashing cursor, it's usually unable to find something to boot to (your hard drive may be failing)  OR, it can find the device, but the boot sector is hinkey.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3v Lithium coin cell on your motherboard.  Bet you'll spot it now the next time you look
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Check the capacitors on the motherboard and see if they are bulged or leaking.  What model Dell is it?

Nothing leaking that any of us could see and it's a pentium 4 3 gig.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3v Lithium coin cell on your motherboard.  Bet you'll spot it now the next time you look

I see it!

Looks just like one that I can pickup at a local Walgreens/CVS?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Get diagnostics and run on the machine.  When you get a flashing cursor, it's usually unable to find something to boot to (your hard drive may be failing)  OR, it can find the device, but the boot sector is hinkey.  

Already replaced the HD and nothing changed, the original HD is in it now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Does this Dell have the back panel diagnostic lights?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing leaking that any of us could see and it's a pentium 4 3 gig.

Are they bulged at all?  The tops should be perfectly flat.

What model is the unit?  Dell had an issue with Caps on the Optiplex GX-270's and some other models.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it!

It looks like this:

Pop it out and take it with you when you go to buy the replacement.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The lighted ABCD lights?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it!

If they don't have one there they will definitely have one at a radio shack or any PC retail store.

I'll also suggest this since it is easy:  try removing that battery and leave it out for a good 5 minutes.  Put it back in and try booting your PC again.  The bios settings will revert back to default.  It may automatically go into your setup screen; if it does just hit the key command for "save and exit"(it should say at the bottom of your screen) and select yes.

It wouldn't hurt to try.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#34]
More on line issues - I've seen strangeness like this when the line volatage wasn't 60Hz like it's supposed to be (and I'm not an electrician, so this gets a phone call). You can't check it without a freq counter, but I thought I'd mentinon it.

What I used to do in the shop as a PC tech was parts substitution. Very few components in a PC can be directly tested with readily available tools. So the most expeditous way to find defective components was to replace them.

When a customer brought in a computer that wouldn't POST (like yours), we'd go at it comething like this:

1. Measure PS voltages.
2. Remove EVERY component off the motherboard, except for memory and video.
2a. If it came up, we'd start adding components one by one until it failed. Now you know which component is bad.
2b. If it didn't come up, we'd replace the RAM with known good pieces.
2c. If it didn't come up, we'd replace the video card (if present - many are integrated) with a known good one.
3. If it still didn't come up, then we'd replace the motherboard.

Get the idea?

It's hard for even guys like me to test this stuff at home, because most of us (me included) don't have known good parts laying around for testing. It means multiple (and expensive) trips to the store.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lighted ABCD lights?

Yes, are they all green?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it!

If they don't have one there they will definitely have one at a radio shack or any PC retail store.

I'll also suggest this since it is easy:  try removing that battery and leave it out for a good 5 minutes.  Put it back in and try booting your PC again.  The bios settings will revert back to default.  It may automatically go into your setup screen; if it does just hit the key command for "save and exit"(it should say at the bottom of your screen) and select yes.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

It's removed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#37]
My last Dell laptop did this exact same thing.  Turned out to be a defective HD.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lighted ABCD lights?

Yes, are they all green?

This is where you're going to hate me.

I'm partially color blind when it comes to certain reds and greens, but it looked like the A & B were red where as the C & D where green. Once I put the BIOs battery back in I'll take a pic and post it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
More on line issues - I've seen strangeness like this when the line volatage wasn't 60Hz like it's supposed to be (and I'm not an electrician, so this gets a phone call). You can't check it without a freq counter, but I thought I'd mentinon it.

What I used to do in the shop as a PC tech was parts substitution. Very few components in a PC can be directly tested with readily available tools. So the most expeditous way to find defective components was to replace them.

When a customer brought in a computer that wouldn't POST (like yours), we'd go at it comething like this:

1. Measure PS voltages.
2. Remove EVERY component off the motherboard, except for memory and video.
2a. If it came up, we'd start adding components one by one until it failed. Now you know which component is bad.
2b. If it didn't come up, we'd replace the RAM with known good pieces.
2c. If it didn't come up, we'd replace the video card (if present - many are integrated) with a known good one.
3. If it still didn't come up, then we'd replace the motherboard.

Get the idea?

It's hard for even guys like me to test this stuff at home, because most of us (me included) don't have known good parts laying around for testing. It means multiple (and expensive) trips to the store.

I'm not that computer lit
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it!

It wouldn't hurt to try.

It's removed.

IT SAYS PLEASE RUN SETUP PROGRAM, WTF DOES THAT MEAN?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Take the USB thumb drive out
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lighted ABCD lights?

Yes, are they all green?

I'm partially color blind when it comes to certain reds and greens, but it looked like the A & B were red where as the C & D where green. Once I put the BIOs battery back in I'll take a pic and post it.

They should be Amber or Green, AB Amber and CD Green is showing = Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

What model Dell is this?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lighted ABCD lights?

Yes, are they all green?

They should be Amber or Green, AB Amber and CD Green is showing = Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

What model Dell is this?

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#44]
IT'S UP!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Thumb drive do it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Thumb drive do it?

I removed everything from the USBs , restarted it and it said something about low voltage, hit F1 and it botted just fine. I'm restarting it now.

It says DISKETTE DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE

What's that mean, if I click F1 then it boots up normally.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

When you first turn your pc on and the Dell screen shows up, it should tell you what button to push to enter setup.  You also have to push it in that brief moment the Dell screen is still up on your display.

Most PC's I've seen use the delete key.

Once you're in I would just try doing 'save and exit setup'.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thumb drive do it?

I removed everything from the USBs , restarted it and it said something about low voltage, hit F1 and it botted just fine. I'm restarting it now.

It says DISKETTE DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE

What's that mean, if I click F1 then it boots up normally.

Low voltage could have been referring to that battery.  I would replace it, they can't cost much more than a dollar.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you first turn your pc on and the Dell screen shows up, it should tell you what button to push to enter setup.  You also have to push it in that brief moment the Dell screen is still up on your display.

Please read the post above yours, what's the diskette thing?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read the post above yours, what's the diskette thing?

By removing the BIOS/CMOS battery you have reset the bios to defaults.  It sounds like it is looking for a 3.5" diskette drive that your computer doesn't have.  You will have to go into the BIOS settings and look at the boot sequence to set the diskette line to "N" if it persists.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top