Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 1:24:09 PM EDT
So I'm a little near-sighted. I wear prescription glasses. I need some shooting glasses.

I'd like to get prescription sunglasses, but what should I get to have the protection needed for shooting?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to my eye doctor at grene vision and told him what I needed. So now my regular glasses are good everyday stuff and shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have prescription WileyX SG-1's from optics planet. They're my everyday sunglasses and have ballistic lenses.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Oakley makes prescription lenses for M frames.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

second
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking I'll get Oakley frames, but is there anything I need to look out for or ask for to make sure the lenses will be adequate for protection? Will all Oakley lenses provide the needed protection?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

second

Yup, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear regular Wiley X's with contacts underneath.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone on this forum said they had heard from Oakley that their perscription lenses do NOT meet the ballistic standards as their regular lenses.  I don't know how true that is, but perhaps you should call them first.  I just use a pair of their SI Ballistic M Frames.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]

I have two sets I just got used. I was sold when I saw the vid of them shooting the glasses with a shotty.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have two sets I just got used. I was sold when I saw the vid of them shooting the glasses with a shotty.

Another vote for the Revisions.  I have Sawflys with the prescription insert.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell your eye doctor, the ones I have supposedly will stop 12ga birdshot close-range.  They had a cool video and everything
  Tinting was an option but I don't like tint.

An eye doctor I met later said I overpaid like hell at $300 for the lenses (6 years ago?), said there were much cheaper options.  Most optometrists are worse than used car salesmen.

Another option might be to get the ballistic lenses and various clip-on tinted lenses so you can wear them every day.  Last time I looked (a long time ago), I liked the RayBan Caravan frames since there were several (5-6?) different non-dorky clip-on lenses available.  There are probably more styles by now.

Been using the same frame/lenses for all this time, probably way overdue for new ones so TAG.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The last time I had to get a new prescription for glasses, I had them make a pair of safety glasses, (ansi approved) with side shields.  That's what I use for shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top