BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2001 10:53:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]

A high percentage of the Gateways that I've run across over the years have CD roms that are crap. The video cards also go ape $hit if you run intense graphics through them.

Try running msconfig.exe and turn off memory resident programs to see if it helps speed up the beast.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the memory that low right after you restart your computer?

Also something I do is change the "File system" to Network Server from Desktop. This is a gaming solution.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a sweet system actually.. the slowness can all be attributed to installed software.  Computers these days come with loads of programs that run that you don't really see that just sit and eat resources.  There's probably a good number of icons down in the tray, on the bottom right.. If it were my computer I would format it and start over with just the OS.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Once you run msconfig you can go to the start up tab and see all the files that your machine goes through as it boots. Buy unchecking the boxes you can select what you want to start. The more things in this box the slower it is. Also the more things here the more likely you are to have conflicts. My experiance with buying already built systems is that the companies install everything they can find on them.
Good luck
Scratch
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a number of different things you can do to tweak some speed out of your system.

No. 1 hit ctl-alt-delete and see just what you've got running in the back round.  All you really need running to have the system operating ok is systray and explorer.  You can then use msconfig to keep unwanted programs from loading when you boot your system up.  There is also a program called End it All that will close any uneeded programs with one click when you really need to free up all the systems resourses when you need to.

A couple of other little tweaks that will gain you some speed are turn off your cursor animations and turn off any sound scheme you might have running in windows.  

Programs like systems restore used in window's ME use up resorces and anti virus programs can slow you down also.

And defrag your system regularly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
12 Icons?????  whoah Cowboy!

With my modem connected I have 3 on a like system.

Sound-Modem-Antivirus software.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I can fix your problem.

Press the start button, select run and type in msconfig

Let me know what items are ckecked.

You can pull the plug on about half of this crap.

Having it running in the background is sucking up your resources.

Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
sounds like you got too many programs-Uninsstall as much as you can/dont need anymore.  programs, when installed add a bunch of shit to your HD and registry.  if these programs add a lot, they will slow things down.  DO not just delete the folders-try to uninstall them in control panel-add/remove programs or sometimes, the program will have itws own uninstall program in its start menu.  This may not even help because some programs leave piles of shit on the HD and registry even after uninstall.  Then you are stuck saving all the important data (resumes',documents, turbotax data, etc)NOT GAMES to floppy/zip and reformat the drive and start over.  do not do this without someone that knows what they are doing as you could loose something you may need.  Start with the uninstall first.  
Note: some programs that use memmory in the background: realplayer, antivirus programs, just about any multimedia programs direct cd, etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Striker- use outlook express
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
he's right so right, I do tech support, do it man!!  Good to see a brother with a prob solved
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not sure if it will help but you might try running Defrag on the drive once a week. Windows 98 had a nasty thing about leaving stuff scattered all over the hard drive.
good luck
Ron
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy smokes thats alota shi$!!!!!I donna thinka you needa alla thosea!
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
[left]MoneyAgent[/left]lose it
[left]MSMSGS[/left]not sure, what it is
[left]MirabilisICQ[/left]lose it
[left]ScanRegistry[/left]keep it
[left]TaskMonitor[/left]keep it
[left]SourcePath[/left]not sure
[left]MultiFunctionKeyboard[/left]not sure
[left]CriticalUpdate[/left]
[left]gator[/left]
[left]LoadQM[/left]
[left]NAVDefAlert[/left]lose
[left]NVQuickTweak[/left]
[left]RealTray[/left]lose
[left]LoadPowerProfile[/left]keep
[left]NortonAutoProtect[/left]keep
[left]EnsoniqMixer[/left]
[left]Pointer[/left]
[left]GoBackPollingService[/left]keep
[left]TrueVector[/left]
[left]Minilog[/left]
[left]LoadPowerProfile[/left]keep
[left]ZoneAlarm[/left]
[left]SchedulingAgent[/left]keep
[left]DescriptionOfShortcut[/left]lose
[left]MicrosoftOfficeStartup[/left]lose
[left]MSNQuickView[/left]lose
[left]AOL6.0TrayIcon[/left]lose
[left]GoBackTrayIcon[/left]keep
(5 More in a few minutes)[/quote]

Ok I noted the ones you want to lose and keep the rest were left unnoted or not sure. Since you paid for Tech support with your system call them it is a free 800 number. Pull the plug on everything you don't want running all the time. You won't lose it or anything, you just won't be running it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#22]
You can also use the System Configutration Utility listed under System Tools in the Accessories menu, just uncheck anything that you think that you don't need and restart your PC. If you unchecked something that Windows needs all you have to do is go back in and recheck it.
Another thing you can do is in the Control panel menu, click on System, then click on performance and at the bottom click on file system, at the top it is going to say hard disc and just below that it will ask the typical role of this machine, it probably says Desktop computer-change this to Network Server as this is supposed to help speed things up. There is alot of information on tweaking windows if you do a web search for Windows tweaks. Good luck.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#24]
ok whens the last time you performed a disk scan & defraged your hard drive? do you regulary wipe clean temp file / temp internet file & also cookies.

if you want to delete a program first see if it has it's own uninstall wizard built in. if it doesn't your might have to delete parts of the program from different areas on your computer in order to rid it of all the files for that program

b.t.w. you have plenty of ram. the problem is to many programs are running in the background and putting a drain on your system. most programs you can adjust so they only need to use ram when thier opened for use.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OK guys I am back. The last five items listed in startup are:[left]IomegaStartupOptions[/left][left]IomegaWare[/left][left]IomegaDiskIcons[/left][left]QuickSync[/left][left]IomegaBackupSchedule[/left][left]That is it, I think 33 items in all, If it would help I want to eliminate anything that is not necessary for everyday usage[/left]...SteyrAUG What about removing some of these? I want to thank each of you personally for helping out a man who was about to use his computer for target practice. You may have saved my puter from certain doom! I will keep you informed of what happens... THANKS
View Quote

I'm not sure, the don't sound important, but seriously, when you bought your gateway it came with free tech support. You paid for that service, use it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
all you need is
systray and explorer running in the background
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a question maybe someone can answer.I have a problem with losing harddisk space.It seems I lose about 20-30 megabytes over 7-10 days time.I do empty my cookies,temporary internet and windows temp folders.But I still do not recover the space.This happens when i'm on the internet.Over the last couple of months i've lost about 100 or so megabytes.I remember that in older versions of windows there used to be a file that was hidden called something like index.dat that you had to delete in DOS mode.I suspect that that is where my space is going, but I have no idea where or what it may be called in windows ME.If anyone knows how to reclaim the lost space or where this file may be or knows anything else I can do please help.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
all you need is
systray and explorer running in the background
View Quote

I would leave the Norton Anti Virus and Go Back files up as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#30]
what steyr said sound good he know his stuff good
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Iomega

Are you using a zip drive?

Miribilis / ICQ - may need this [u]if[/u] you are using ICQ, but it may be posible to take it off your startup & just have a shortcut

Zone Alarm  - see [url]http://www.zonelabs.com/[/url]
Quick Sync  - Are you using a Palm Pilot?  Think this is for syncing the handheld and the desktop

[size=4][red]P.R.K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top