Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 7:58:26 AM EDT
I have a 1997 dodge ram 4x4.  it get’s 15 mpg and I drive 60 miles in a day.
The tank holds 25 gal of gas for a range of 375 miles and I fill up once a week.
Cost to fill up is about $60.00.  or $3200 a year

I have been told by several people to sell the “gas guzzler” and buy an economy car for the drive.  so I would double the MPG and spend about $30.00 a week on gas.  That’s a saving of about $1600 a year they say.

Sounds like a lot right?  You would want to save $1600.  

Sure but the dodge is paid for morons!
So the brand new econobox would cost me $350 a month.  You want me to pay 4200 a year to save 1600?  That’s a loss of 1000 a year.  How is that saving money?

(does my math work)  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#2]
how do i do that?  drink more beer?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm with ya on the math, but you will undoubtedly hear:  "Sell the Dodge and cash out into an econobox, thus turning the savings into real numbers"

I don't know.  I've got plenty of "gas guzzlers" kicking around the yard, but it is nice to get into my Jeep Cherokee, which gets a whopping, {in my opinion} 20 mpg's.

By the way, Doublefeed;  I still like the Brokeback avatar.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It all works, until you point out that the Truck is PAID FOR .

To me, not having a payment really works out well.

edit:  I recently got a 1995 Toyota Corolla grocery getter.  $3k cash and 30+ miles to the gallon.

Although I am still looking for that good 96-98 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4x4 in Hunter Green (not Forest Green).  I had one as a lease vehicle and it was awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top