Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2001 10:02:46 PM EDT
I don't have a job so I can't spend a lot of money. I also don't have a lot of room. I have 4 long guns right now and I believe they will easily fit in this safe.
[url]http://www.deansafe.com/s2210.html[/url]
Wally World has them for $296. I know this is probaly not a great safe but I would rather get something now then to chance losing all of my guns because I was saving for a bigger one. I know a couple of guys who would buy this safe from me when I got a bigger one anyway.
I plan on building some shelves for the other side to store ammo and magazines. Anybody have one of these? The way I see it, In my current situation, it's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a safe and am set, but I've looked at that safe at wal*mart and it really seems like a good safe. With the size I would definitely anchor it to the floor. For the price of it, and your peace of mind I don't see how you could go wrong buying it. And from experience, you never ever get one big enough anyway.
jackpot
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the speed of the key lock. I can't ever get a combo lock or safe to open. But I'm not sure how it would stand up to a drill attack. It looks like it has a steel piece over the soft brass innards of the lock mechanism.

Actually I forgot about the thickness of the door. That makes the inner depth only 12". I think it's going to be too tight a fit. I guess I'll have to spend a litle more.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Academy and Oshman's both have the Bridger fire safe for $699. My FFL said that is a very good deal considering the retail is $999.
[url]http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/safes/bridger_safes.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really like the speed of the key lock. I can't ever get a combo lock or safe to open. But I'm not sure how it would stand up to a drill attack. It looks like it has a steel piece over the soft brass innards of the lock mechanism.

Actually I forgot about the thickness of the door. That makes the inner depth only 12". I think it's going to be too tight a fit. I guess I'll have to spend a litle more.
View Quote

I just watched a locksmith open mine last night, and it took some serious effort to drill through the hardened steel plate that is placed in front of the lock.  It also shocked me how easy it is to get in one as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
bunghole,

Are you sure your not talking about a security cabinet in wal-mart.  I'v never seen a "gun safe" in wal-mart.  If it's a security cabinet it may keep young children from accessing your firearms, but wont last if a determined burglar wants in..  
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two of these safes except the ones I have are the next step up with the combination lock.

I got one at Wallyworld. It was a floor model so I got them to take the price down to $295 out the door.  I think it was dropped once because the corner looked slightly dented and there was a paint chip and the vertical weld in the door frame was broken.   Sounds much worse that it is.  Actually, just a little weld break that's invisible from the outside.

So I call up Sentry Safe and they send me a brand new one because of their customer satisfaction 100% guarantee.

So now, I have two.  The new one holds my long guns and pistol and wifes jewelry and is triple bolted to floor and wall stud on an upper level floor in my locked office and locked closet.  It's actually pretty roomy inside.

The old one holds my ammo.  That one has so much lead in it, you'd have to be the Incredible Hulk to move it.

Kids are safe.  Peace of mind.

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Might check out Bear Safes, I can't remember how much I gave for mine but it was'nt much more than $600 I think.  Not fire proof, and even though it weighs 800# empty I still have it bolted to the wall, at least the burglar won't tip it over trying to get in it.  Now the door that goes on my Dad's vault alone weighs 800#, not the easiest things in the world to hoss around.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I am going to go with the Bridger fire safe. There is a Cannon at Academy that is bigger for omnly $50 more but it weighs 200lbs more and it has the internal hinges. The weight is a factor because I'm not going to pay some guys $150 or more to deliver it for me. The Bridger door comes off so it shouldn't be too hard for me and my dad to handle. I don't like the idea of delivery because I don't want strangers to know that I have a safe and where it is and how it is secured, etc.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Academy and Oshman's both have the Bridger fire safe for $699. My FFL said that is a very good deal considering the retail is $999.
[url]http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/safes/bridger_safes.htm[/url]
View Quote

That's a good price, but Oshman's wants list price on their web site. What numbnuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top