Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:37 PM EDT
Is Fellowes a good brand? I know they make a huge variety of office crap that is crap but how are their shredders.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:12:05 PM EDT
I donno. Get one that cuts both ways.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:13:00 PM EDT
I've got a fellowes W11C - its crosscut (makes confetti and not strips) and i've had zero problems with it. use it all the time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
Fellowes will do the job,hell all you are doing is shredding paper.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
Get one that crosscuts the paper as opposed to one that just cuts it into strips. I have a 10 sheet model that is several years old. I would like a more heavy duty (commercial) model. I want to be able to sheard junk mail without opening it and mine cant quite do it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:26:25 PM EDT
Get one that cuts 12 sheets. The problem is that the rating counts all sheets cut at one time if you put in 2 sheets and it folds or creases while it is shredding it now could be counted as many as 6 sheets.

If that doesn’t work there is always Security Engineered Machinery. They have a real neat model that has a 40 hp motor that will shred telephone books in a fraction of a second.

http://www.semdirect.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/480
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
Make sure that the wastebasket you use is solid! The weight of the paper shredder will eventually cause low-grade wastebaskets to buckle and tip over.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 6:29:25 PM EDT by roboman]
Be sure it's cross-cut!

I found one at Wal-Mart for about $25. Does cross-cut and came with its own sturdy wastebasket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
Do you have a yard?

Just burn the shit.

Feeding it two or three pages at a time into one of those shitty cheap shredders takes too long.

The big powerful ones are too expensive.

Fire is your friend.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
I don't recall where I saw it, but someone recently did a test on some of the common paper shredders and found that, after the paper had been shredded, a high school kid with tape and glue could recover at least half of all the information on the paper -- 80 percent or so in some cases.

When I was on secret document burn detail, the way they would make sure the documents were secure was to shred them first -- much finer than most modern paper shredders, then burn the shreds, and then pump the ashes out under the sea about a mile out.

I would suggest shredding and then at least one other significant step, such as burning, if you really want the information to remain private.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:34:59 PM EDT
Get one that does the "Cross Cut" so it shredded them horizontalt & at an angle, realy tears up stuff for those late nights at Enron....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:35:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfman97:
I don't recall where I saw it, but someone recently did a test on some of the common paper shredders and found that, after the paper had been shredded, a high school kid with tape and glue could recover at least half of all the information on the paper -- 80 percent or so in some cases.

When I was on secret document burn detail, the way they would make sure the documents were secure was to shred them first -- much finer than most modern paper shredders, then burn the shreds, and then pump the ashes out under the sea about a mile out.

I would suggest shredding and then at least one other significant step, such as burning, if you really want the information to remain private.

why bother with anything other than burning

is there some secret way to retrieve information from paper that has been reduced to ash in a hot fire?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:37:03 PM EDT
You don't have a wood chipper or a burning barrel??? What kind of american are you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:41:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

why bother with anything other than burning

is there some secret way to retrieve information from paper that has been reduced to ash in a hot fire?

Yep. The FBI has had very simple methods of doing it for at least fifty years now. All it takes is letting the ashes settle gently and then reading what is on the page with ordinary light, UV, or something similar.

Try it yourself. The best example is any glossy magazine. As long as you handle the ashes reasonably carefully you can still read most of the magazine.

The best bet is shredding, then burning, then stirring up the ashes real well, best with water in the final mix. Anything less than that and I can raid your bank account in short order.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:42:44 PM EDT
Get a fine crosscut (confetti) shredder that will take paper clips and staples.
Look for one that will also shred credit cards.
If you want to go whole hog get one that will shred CD's and DVD's.

I have one of these I got from Office Max.
It was $179 with a $20 dollar rebate when I got it two years ago, now it's $199.

Fellowes PS80C-2 Cross-Cut Shredder
Shreds 10 sheets per pass and 50-100 shredding passes per day for about 800 total sheets per day
Increased security with the smaller 5/32" x 4/5" confetti cut particles
Exclusive Powershred Cutting System accepts staples, credit cards and small paper clips
Heavy-duty, quiet motor allows for extended shredding cycle and less down time
Easy to remove 7 gallon wastebasket allows waste to be emptied without lifting shredder head
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:43:58 PM EDT

Yep. The FBI has had very simple methods of doing it for at least fifty years now. All it takes is letting the ashes settle gently and then reading what is on the page with ordinary light, UV, or something similar.

Well, there ya go.

Burn it hot, stir up the ashes, piss out the fire, and oyu'll be fine.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:45:29 PM EDT
I could always burn the shreds in my mexican earthen portable fireplace
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:52:07 PM EDT
I have a cheap crosscut machine(Royal from Sam's about $25) When I clean the cat litterbox I empty the shredder. Wanna play paste together with confetti and cat shit? Go ahead.
Top Top