Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:01:42 PM EDT
My JVC kd g300 started smoking on the way home.  Right in the middle of Slipknot's "Duality" I hear "Bzzt bzzt" and it quit on me.

Anyhow i need a mid priced mp3-cd player in the $150 range.  I have no clue as to what a good brand is or any of that crap.  I don't run an amp or have a booming system, I just like to blast my metal as I head down the Highway for hours on end.

What's a good stereo, and where is a good online place to get it from?  I have tried bestbuy before, but after the hassles I have had with them with my wife's puter etc, and the shitty service i get in the stores, I am trying not to buy from them at all.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer Alpines myself, but one with MP3 capability might run slightly more than $150...but at least it won't go up in smoke on you. Well at least my last 3 Alpines never quit working.

I'm running an Alpine CDA-9855, it's a great head unit, but way beyond your price limit.

This one list for $170. Personally I'd pick Alpine over Panasonic, but that's just me
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple years ago, my dad had a Pioneer CD stereo player installed in my mom's Aerostar(don't have it anymore) at Crap Buy.  It worked well-don't know if it can play MP3's but they might have some models that play MP3's.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Matsushita thats is the parent company that owns Panasonic, they also build the CD drives for Pioneer, Alps and Toshiba.

Matsushita-that's a funny name right there!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Any other input?

Bigscrun, I may take you up on the offer.   I have seen that model range from $140 - $200 on the net, but I have a feeling that the less expensive quotes are rebuilt or something.

I just can't figger out how/why my JVC got smoked (right after the warranty was up).

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just can't figger out how/why my JVC got smoked (right after the warranty was up).

I think it's engineered that way. That always happens to anything I own.

I got a Sony whatchamacallit CD player a couple years ago for $119 and it has been fine. It only skips as I'm doing donuts in the corn field

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top