Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 8:13:26 PM EDT
I mow about 1.5 acres with about 20 trees plus various other obstacles.  I have several sloped areas/ditches, but nothing too major.  I would like to stay under 8k, really would like to find something around 5k.  I don't have a preference either tractor or ZTR.  I will buy used if I can find a mower that fits my needs.

I am currently considering the Kubota GR2100/2110 or Bad Boy ZT Series.  What else should I look at?  We have a dealer for nearly every brand within an hour or so.

Please don't recommend that I buy a POS re-badged MTD at Lowes or Home Depot.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I mow about 1.5 acres with about 20 trees plus various other obstacles.  I have several sloped areas/ditches, but nothing too major.  I would like to stay under 8k, really would like to find something around 5k.  I don't have a preference either tractor or ZTR.  I will buy used if I can find a mower that fits my needs.

I am currently considering the Kubota GR2100/2110 or Bad Boy ZT Series.  What else should I look at?  We have a dealer for nearly every brand within an hour or so.

Please don't recommend that I buy a POS re-badged MTD at Lowes or Home Depot.

I would like to say man up and use a push mower but it wears me out too every sunday. I have a self-propelled Toro that I mow my 1.5 acre yard with. I would say buy one of those but is blew a head gasket sunday and my buddy is fixing it right now. It lasted 3 years almost no maintainance. However, I would like a rider as well. My mother as well as every other house in my neighborhood have a John Deer rider. They are nice and cost well under 5k. I will go with one is my Toro isnt fixed this week or cannot be fixed.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Go the ZTR route for sure if you have a lot of obstacles. My mower broke down last week (50" deck Crapsman) & I borrowed my FIL's Swisher 60" ZTR....lets just say I'm ruined now. What takes me 3 hours with the tractor I got done in less than half the time with the ZTR. I usually hate to mow but the ZTR made it fun.

I'm just starting to research the ZTR mowers, but so far I'm liking this - http://www.badboymowers.com/view/60

Costs right at $5K

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would like to say man up and use a push mower but it wears me out too every sunday. I have a self-propelled Toro that I mow my 1.5 acre yard with. I would say buy one of those but is blew a head gasket sunday and my buddy is fixing it right now. It lasted 3 years almost no maintainance. However, I would like a rider as well. My mother as well as every other house in my neighborhood have a John Deer rider. They are nice and cost well under 5k. I will go with one is my Toro isnt fixed this week or cannot be fixed.

I'm on three acres and I actually mow about 1.5 acres of grass.  It takes me around two hours to mow/trim on a rider on a good day, sometimes closer to three.  How long does it take you to mow 1.5 acres with a push mower?  

If I wanted to man up I would use my 50 year old, 18" reel mower, not some sissy gas powered self propelled job.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Go the ZTR route for sure if you have a lot of obstacles. My mower broke down last week (50" deck Crapsman) & I borrowed my FIL's Swisher 60" ZTR....lets just say I'm ruined now. What takes me 3 hours with the tractor I got done in less than half the time with the ZTR. I usually hate to mow but the ZTR made it fun.

I'm just starting to research the ZTR mowers, but so far I'm liking this - http://www.badboymowers.com/view/60

Costs right at $5K

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/1/9/00000123619-BadBoy2600ZT36zeroturnmower-large.jpeg

I went to the local TSC and checked one out today.  Built like a TANK!  The 3k Cub Cadet ZTR sitting next to it looked like a toy.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you buy a zero turn mower, test it on a slope equal to the ones you have to mow.  Some zero turn designs do not like slopes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard good things about the Dixon ZTR and Gravely ZTR mowers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Kubota GR2110.

4wd, diesel, power steering, and turns on a 11" circle.  We sell these to guys who have land too steep for a zero turn, yet have lots of trees and other obstacles to mow around.

If diesel bothers you, they also make a GR2010 in gas.

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/gr.cfm
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Kubota GR2110.

4wd, diesel, power steering, and turns on a 11" circle.  We sell these to guys who have land too steep for a zero turn, yet have lots of trees and other obstacles to mow around.

Oh, it's not the diesel that bothers me, it's the 9k MSRP.  I would like a GR2110, but it's really at the upper limit of what I want to spend and they just aren't for sale used around here.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Kubota GR2110.

Oh, it's not the diesel that bothers me, it's the 9k MSRP.  I would like a GR2110, but it's really at the upper limit of what I want to spend and they just aren't for sale used around here.

Bro, never pay MSRP.  I wish I was located closer to you
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at Toro products. I worked at a mower shop, selling and repairing them years ago. Great machines very reliable, take a look at the 40 " walk behinds if you want the exercise.
+1 on the recycled mtd junk comment, they are total crap. Deere is just a name, overpriced for an average mower.
Toro has the best deck in the business, the airflow and discharge is patented, the cut is second only to a reel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]

The possibilities are endless.

AB
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm on three acres and I actually mow about 1.5 acres of grass.  It takes me around two hours to mow/trim on a rider on a good day, sometimes closer to three.  How long does it take you to mow 1.5 acres with a push mower?  

If I wanted to man up I would use my 50 year old, 18" reel mower, not some sissy gas powered self propelled job.  

Keep in mind my backyard has no trees or anything, just grass and mowing takes about an hour. I usually half ass the trimming in the back and focus my attention on the front yard which is about 1/4 acre. All together I would estimate 2-2 1/2 if I take my time and limit my water breaks. My neighbor has the same 1.5 acre backyard and he hauls ass on his rider in about 1 hour.....again just grass. My mothers house has  5 and some change and I swear it could use a small tractor with all the obsticles and little decline in her yard.

Its not like I have a farm or anything and I believe 1.5 acres is about maxed out for a push mower. Like I said, if my toro is not fixed by sunday when I need to cut grass I'm going to the John Deer or Kobota store and bringing something home with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top