Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 6:44:00 PM EDT
I keep seeing 28 Days later in the DVD section at the BX and wonder how it is.  I've always found movies like Night of the living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and stuff like that entertaining.  Is 28 Days later worth picking up?  

DG84
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was good enough to buy the DVD.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It sucks, I've seen it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It is the British version of the living dead! I watched it and thought it was cool. Wife had the creepy crawlies afterwards. I'd watch it again, BUT I would not own it! It worth it for a rainy night, put it that way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]

It was ok, not great. March 28th the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" comes to the theaters. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a decent movie.  A nice SHTF fantasy, where most of humanity is dead and the survivors have to fend for themselves against zombies. I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
not a bad zombie movie, i just wish it was citizens shooting up the zombies
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It is worth watching. A good hour and half (or whatever the running time is) of entertainment. I have to agree, I wouldn't buy it. It started out great. It had super potential. What it turned into was what has already been said, the English version of "Night of the Living Dead". Could have been much better IMHO.

Again, worth watching if you are absolutely bored to death and have seen everything else.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  That was what made the difference between an ok movie and what could have been a GREAT movie.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
get it.  not what I expected, but it's a good rental.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  That was what made the difference between an ok movie and what could have been a GREAT movie.
View Quote

So I take it there's no long bursts from our favorite weapons in the flick?  

I'd love to make an "Old School" Zombie flick this every imaginable automatic weapon in it..  Something where every take has rotting human flesh laying everywhere.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
There is some gunplay with military weapons, but it's Brit soldiers doing the shooting, with the shitty SA-80.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought It Sucked. It was a slow movie and I couldn't wait for it to end!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd rent it not buy it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Considering the budget it was made for it wasn't too bad.  

The alternative endings on the DVD were interesting.

Sure it had some story weaknesses but it was a zombie movie after all.

Worth a rental, not necessarily worth a purchase.

I must say that since I've been using Netflix I've saved a ton of money watching movies that I might have bought. I've also had the opportunity to watch a ton of movies.

At the cost of one purchase a month I can watch as many as I can.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a freakin Zombie movie...its not like its going to win an Academy Awards.

I liked it, but not enough to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's put it this way: for a zombie action movie, the critics liked it. So, beware.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Crappy movie, overall.

But the girl was pretty hot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The first 5 minutes of it is the best part, but it's an alright flick.

Now, if you want a movie that truly [b]SUCKS[/b], look no further than "Dreamcatcher". That movie sucks ohhhhhhhhhh, SO bad!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I think this is the movie that ETH has been trying to get me to watch... IIRC, he says its really good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Sucked ass, the UK and it's gun free society makes for a CRAPPY zombie movie...  Dawn of the Dead dances circles around it, that is clearly the greatest zombie movie ever.  Can't wait for the remake, hope they don't manage to screw it up...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I really liked it!

Problem was that I wish it was set in the States!  Can you imagine it?  EVERY redneck grabbin' thier shit and going out zombie hunting!  Fuck it, sign me up for that raod trip.  Screw hunting lions w/ bolt guns, let me drop a lightning link in my H-Bar and grab a few beta mags and lets go!

Actually, the PETA bitches wouldn't have gotten into that lab without being shot b/c our guards would have been armed!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmm....I guess I'm in the minority here but I really thought it was an interesting flick. In fact, I've watched it twice. I guess I'm easy to please....the gf and I have like 5-600 dvds...watching movies without having to put up with the crowds in theaters is one of our main hobbies...[lol]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Let us not forget that it also features automatic weapons in THX sound [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought it was a great movie. The music in it is great also, goes right along with the mood.

I'd buy it, shit I already did. Blockbuster has it on sale for 14 bucks....

Rob
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought it was pretty good. I would rent it. If England didn't have such restrictive gun laws things would never have gotten that far out of hand.:)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I really liked this movie. I think the fact that the Britts didn't have guns made it a bit more intense. But this movie really freaked me out when I was watching it. Makes you want to cuddle your AR nice and close.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I thought it was pretty good. Kind of a different angle. See, if you wanted to watch another remake of Dawn of the Dead, you could just watch the original Romero flick. The acting was OK, the set felt "stage-ish", sort of like a play with different setbacks in a theater. But the scary factor took it's effectiveness from a "Alien" sort of unseen horror. Most of the time you just catch a glimpse the freaks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#30]
No one else noted the anti-gun agenda? Everyone with a firearm is a villain. Even when the protagonist obtains a rifle he does not fire it, and soon discards it. Any sane person in that situation would have held onto the rifle methinks. English Gun=evil type thinking going on here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Always check with film reviewer RockyD first- most film reviewers suck....

[b]Politically Incorrect Movie Reviews - "28 Days Later"[/b]

[url]http://www.sierratimes.com/03/07/04/rockyd.htm[/url]
By RadioFree Rocky D

Here we have a gritty little B-movie that’s going to make Hollyweird’s limp-wristed feelm crit-teeks throw a blue snit. 28 Days Later has no amazing special effects, very little stunt work and no big name ahk-tors emoting It’s not even truly a film; it’s shot on DV (digital video). Yet, this gritty little British B-movie is smarter and more entertaining than almost anything coming out of Hollyweird (okay; the “smarter” part wasn’t all that difficult). George Romero (Night Of The Living Dead) would be proud. Much of the under-30 crowd will compare 28 Days Later to The Stand, but what they don’t know is that even The Stand owed a lot to the granddaddy of all the Virus-Created-Zombies flicks, The Omega Man. In fact, 28 Days Later is The Omega Man even down to the salt-n-pepper love story intertwined – the only difference is the totally gay-sounding British accents. And I have one burning question about zombies … why are there never any vegetarian zombies?
(snip)

The rest is at the URL above, and is utterly hilarious.[:D]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Considering the budget it was made for it wasn't too bad.  

The alternative endings on the DVD were interesting.

Sure it had some story weaknesses but it was a zombie movie after all.

Worth a rental, not necessarily worth a purchase.

I must say that since I've been using Netflix I've saved a ton of money watching movies that I might have bought. I've also had the opportunity to watch a ton of movies.

At the cost of one purchase a month I can watch as many as I can.
View Quote

Ditto on everything above re:netflix. It saves alot of money and effort with renting.

28 days was a good rental flick. Not worth buying but very interesting.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Just for the record, they were not zombies. They were infected living creatures.

edit: I thought the movie was pretty good but disappointed because I think they could have made the story a little better. The movie just did not seem to flow real well to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#34]
[url]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/28DaysLater-1123236/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top