Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/22/2012 11:24:34 AM EST
Here is what I have; I will be headed overseas with work to where there are little "creature comforts". The folks over there are clamoring for some way to watch movies, other than on their toughbooks.

I can take a projector with me. It will probably only have RCA inputs. However, I will try to sucker the boss into springing for something to get morale up...

Internet is sporadic. I will need something that can operate without a reliable internet connection.

I need some sort of sound solution. No, I don't need 7.1, but, once again, they are tired of earbuds or toughbook speakers.

Can you guys recommend something? The Roku 2 XS looks like a good option, since it has a USB port. HOWEVER, I dont know if it requires internet to operate when just playing movies from a USB stick.

What options do I have?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:26:50 AM EST
I have the Roku and I am pretty sure it will play movies off the USB without an internet connection.

You can also get DVD players that have a USB port for playing content.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:32:06 AM EST
I picked up a digital picture frame at goodwill that plays usb/sd movies, there are led sd projectors on egay, boombox with 1/8" or rca for sound?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:34:12 AM EST
I have a Sony blu-ray player with a USB input, and I bought a Seagate Free Agent for my parents a few years ago. I've played video from USB on both of these with no internet connectivity. I remember for certain that the Free Agent had RCA outputs, don't remember for sure about my blu-ray player.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:39:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 11:43:46 AM EST by imonkeyman]
Usually there will be a couple of portable hard drives full of movies floating around the guys that are over.
I keep a portable 1tb with me.

eta. Also took a few RCA cables and a iPod hook up to USB
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:45:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By imonkeyman:
Usually there will be a couple of portable hard drives full of movies floating around the guys that are over.
I keep a portable 1tb with me.

I think this is why this piece of gear is being requested. Its worth a few bucks out of my pocket to keep them happy...

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:14:20 PM EST
I tried the Roku and ended up going with a WD Live instead. Better product, built in HD, great support for formats.
Top Top