Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:03 PM EST
Here is what I have; I will be headed overseas with work to where there are little "creature comforts". The folks over there are clamoring for some way to watch movies, other than on their toughbooks.

I can take a projector with me. It will probably only have RCA inputs. However, I will try to sucker the boss into springing for something to get morale up...

Internet is sporadic. I will need something that can operate without a reliable internet connection.

I need some sort of sound solution. No, I don't need 7.1, but, once again, they are tired of earbuds or toughbook speakers.

Can you guys recommend something? The Roku 2 XS looks like a good option, since it has a USB port. HOWEVER, I dont know if it requires internet to operate when just playing movies from a USB stick.

What options do I have?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:38:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 7:41:20 PM EST by 501st]
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:
Here is what I have; I will be headed overseas with work to where there are little "creature comforts". The folks over there are clamoring for some way to watch movies, other than on their toughbooks.

I can take a projector with me. It will probably only have RCA inputs. However, I will try to sucker the boss into springing for something to get morale up...

Internet is sporadic. I will need something that can operate without a reliable internet connection.

I need some sort of sound solution. No, I don't need 7.1, but, once again, they are tired of earbuds or toughbook speakers.

Can you guys recommend something? The Roku 2 XS looks like a good option, since it has a USB port. HOWEVER, I dont know if it requires internet to operate when just playing movies from a USB stick.

What options do I have?

Why not buy a cheap small form factor desktop, or laptop to do the job?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230600&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=4328635&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230772

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883255240&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=4328635&SID=

As for speakers, something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116035
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:17:07 AM EST
Check these out...http://dx.com/c/consumer-electronics-199/hd-media-players-103/android-hd-players-191

As far as the projector, pretty much every projector that I know of uses either a VGA, DVI, or HDMI input. This would be very easy to hook to your toughbook. I no longer have my toughbook to look at but I am fairly certain they have VGA outs. If not there are a number of USB to VGA/ DVI/ HDMI adapters on the market. The toughbook speakers suck but if you all are watching on a projector in a small room you could probably still hear if need be.

I personally spent 18 months away from home on a deployment. While on base in the states, in Kuwait, and then back in the states I used only my laptop to watch DVDs. I got quite use to watching movies on my laptop. However, once I was in country in Iraq they had us up in 2 person shipping containers fasioned into rooms. We were all in a line platoon but wasted no time in banding together to do a few things.

1) we setup a ethernet network. Wireless would have been possible but not a good idea for opsec reasons even though we were not keeping sensative info on our systems. Ethernet is better anyway.

2) almost everyone purchased either headphones of cheap aftermarket sound systems from the on base "hadgi shops."

3) we all banded together and purchased a linkstar internet dish with about 1.5mb down and 700k up. Ended up being about $200 a year for 30 people. The contract included setup and service for a year. We had to move halfway through and the contractor said it was no longer safe to go onto US bases and shafted us. I quickly learned how to use a spectrum analizer to realign the dish. We sold the setup to another unit when we left and we almost all recouped our $200.

This setup was a little more work on our off time but was worth it. It kind of brought the guys together running cable. In a weird way it was also fun to be standing on top of the shipping container with 5 people huddled around a spectrum analizer and turning the dish. Especially, considering we would have all had to dove off the roof in the case of a mortar attack. We also all began playing computer games on a LAN... we all played the original Unreal Tournament into the odd hours of the night on many occassions. The internet was not much but it was good enough for aim / icq / yahoo or whatever chat function with family back home. They also had video features working in when we left which were actually decent even with 30 people on the thing. A few of us even played a few MMORPGs namely Asheron's Call and The Realm which ran fine without hogging bandwidth.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:45 AM EST
Is there a briefing room with a flat panel in it? Just get a cheap laptop with an HDMI output for video. You can play DVDs on it or movies from files or even Youtube (if you are connected at the time).

Projectors are a pain, delicate, expensive, need frequent bulb changes, noisy and run hot.
Top Top