Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 10:12:09 AM EDT
I am in need of a code scanner for my cars. I own cars with the old OBD I system and the new OBD II system, so I need a scanner to do both. I have been looking for a scanner in the $300 to $400 range. I have found one on the web made by AutoXray call E Z Scan 5000, but can't find any feed back on the product. If anyone has any feedback on one of these, or any other brand name.....lets hear it.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
obdII.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently bought a Ford Excursion, it requires an obdii scanner with the can protocol. I wanted to be able to read the codes it throws and use it on my 3 other vehicles. I got the AutoXray 6000, cost was $550 I think. I split that with a friend of mine that shares similar interests to me. So far I've reset one of his cars engine light 2 times because of a bad oxygen sensor.. :)

I'm very happy with it so far. Though it wasn't cheap paying only half of it helped.. :) I think you can't go wrong with anything from AutoXray, and you'll be quite happy with the 5000, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen some inexpensive ones from Equus, less than 100 bucks, but I have no experience with them.
www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?3993
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Just go to Auto Zone and they will scan it for free. They also sell that type scanner there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
My local GI joes ad has a scanner with what looks like 4 adapters for 159.99 this week. You don't have a OBD 1 ford do you? I happen to have a auto xray for ford.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Not intending to hijack this thread but do the new OBd 2 scanner tell you in detail what the code means and what is wrong. my old one just gave me a code and I have to look it up in my manual.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The 6000 will give you a text readout for many of the codes. Not just the fact that code XXX has been thrown. It will also give you live data as you're driving and can capture it as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You don't have a OBD 1 ford do you? I happen to have a auto xray for ford.

No....I don't have any Fords. I have GMs two OBD I and one OBD II.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not intending to hijack this thread but do the new OBd 2 scanner tell you in detail what the code means and what is wrong. my old one just gave me a code and I have to look it up in my manual.

The way I understand it. A code scanner give you complete info on the code, but a code reader give you only a code number.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top