Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2011 5:57:17 AM EDT
I am a 42 year old male, 6'1", 205lb.  I work at a desk all day and with two small children I don't have much free time to work out.  I do have about an hour in the morning 0600 to 0700 and I have some time after they go to sleep 2000 to 2200 in the evenings. Basically, I just want to increase my level of fitness.  

1) I did PT 20-some years ago while in college.  Is there a better program for workouts with limited time?

2) I haven't been running for at least 10 years.  Any suggestions for a program to start running and avoid injury? Walk/run? Sprints?

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Strap on some 10lb leg waits to your arms while you are doing house work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Home or gym? If at home what do you have to work with as far as any equipment? Dumbbells, sandbags, sledgehammer and old tree stump? Same kinda goes for the gym in that need to know if it has any free weights and what types or mainly machines. Just need more info.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If your just looking to get fit you might checkout p90x or some of the other at home video workouts.

If an hour a day is to much just do what you can. 30 minutes 3-4 days a week is a lot better that what you are doing now.

Its addicting and you will soon find more time to workout.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Similar situation = kids, age, height and weight.

Started this year with my mini-circuit I kinda came up with cobbled together from general knowledge.

10 push ups (wide hands)

10 standard barbell curls (started with 20lbs, but quickly progressed to 25 and 30..arms grow strength pretty quick...)

10 dumbbell flys

10 standard squats

10 crunches

10 push ups (narrow hands - elbows close to ribs)

10 hammer dumbbell curls

10 dumbbell overhead military presses

10 lunges

10 leg lifts

Then repeat 3 times.

Took me about 20-25 minutes of constant moving, and only normal dumbbells I had on hand.

Did this Monday, Wednesday, Friday

I then started walking...FAST...not speed walking, but very brisk around 4 mph for 30 minutes five days a week M-F. My knees don't care for running...

Tried to cut down on the booze and eat less bad portions (pizza!) and a few more veggies and fruits.

Since January I am down 7-ish pounds (I was probably 18-20 lbs overweight), but I feel MUCH better, stronger and less tired. I wasn't a fatt-y to begin with, but wanted more strength.

I have since moved to more weight training at work with lots of weights and five days a week (chest one day, shoulders one day, legs one day, etc, etc...) but I have a job that allows me the flexibility to work-out on the clock so I am fortunate in that...

Bottom line for me is I'm in my 40s. I wanted to get into better basic condition. Training goes quicker than you think.

Each journey starts with a single step. I say just start doing SOMETHING!

Cheers,

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Home or gym? If at home what do you have to work with as far as any equipment? Dumbbells, sandbags, sledgehammer and old tree stump? Same kinda goes for the gym in that need to know if it has any free weights and what types or mainly machines. Just need more info.

I have a bike and a set of free weights (dumbbells, curl bar, straight bar) but no bench. I have some dumbbells in my office now. When I need a break I do some curls.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Similar situation = kids, age, height and weight.

Started this year with my mini-circuit I kinda came up with cobbled together from general knowledge.

10 push ups (wide hands)
10 standard barbell curls (started with 20lbs, but quickly progressed to 25 and 30..arms grow strength pretty quick...)
10 dumbbell flys
10 standard squats
10 crunches
10 push ups (narrow hands - elbows close to ribs)
10 hammer dumbbell curls
10 dumbbell overhead military presses
10 lunges
10 leg lifts

Then repeat 3 times.

Took me about 20-25 minutes of constant moving, and only normal dumbbells I had on hand.

Did this Monday, Wednesday, Friday

I then started walking...FAST...not speed walking, but very brisk around 4 mph for 30 minutes five days a week M-F. My knees don't care for running...

Tried to cut down on the booze and eat less bad portions (pizza!) and a few more veggies and fruits.

Since January I am down 7-ish pounds (I was probably 18-20 lbs overweight), but I feel MUCH better, stronger and less tired. I wasn't a fatt-y to begin with, but wanted more strength.

I have since moved to more weight training at work with lots of weights and five days a week (chest one day, shoulders one day, legs one day, etc, etc...) but I have a job that allows me the flexibility to work-out on the clock so I am fortunate in that...

Bottom line for me is I'm in my 40s. I wanted to get into better basic condition. Training goes quicker than you think.

Each journey starts with a single step. I say just start doing SOMETHING!

Cheers,

I have limited easily processed carbs (white rice, sugar, beer, soda, french fries) and that has been great.  I like your circuit idea.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can spare an hour, do P90X.  Stay on it, and it works wonders.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you can spare an hour, do P90X.  Stay on it, and it works wonders.

Or Insanity. Insanity workouts are about 40 minutes each, including stretching & warmup. I'm almost halfway through it now, it's intense.

I may try P90x after completing this and the 100 pushup program.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to lift weights.  Squats, deadlifts, bench presses and overhead presses.  

I suggest doing Wendler 5/3/1 with some high intensity metcon (sets of sprints or on a bicycle or rowing machine) tacked on at the end of the workout.  

You should be able to do that in one hour, 4 days a week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I do two days on, two days off.

First day:

2 sets, 20 reps weighted crunches

2 sets, 10 reps dumbbell squats

4 sets, 5 reps dumbbell stiff leg deadlifts

2 sets, 20 reps pushups

Second day:

2 sets, 10 reps overhead dumbbell press

2 sets, 10 reps bent-over rows

2 sets, 10 reps pull-ups

4 sets, 5 reps bench press

This is the only workout I do. I don't do cardio, I let diet take care of the rest.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Google "couch to 5k program".  

Go to a running store and have your stride analyzed.  Buy a pair for shoes for about $100 that they recommend and that you like.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Google "couch to 5k program".  

Go to a running store and have your stride analyzed.  Buy a pair for shoes for about $100 that they recommend and that you like.

Yep, I'm starting Week 4 today. That and the 100 push up program is what I'm currently doing. Cardio is more important to me than a lot of strength training.

Stats: 40 years old, 6'4 205 pounds. Low Carb diet. (well I did eat  some birthday cake Friday )

ETA: I downloaded a podcast to listen to while running, they offer ones with week by week C25K run/walk intervals. That helped me a lot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#13]
it really depends on what you want to accomplish:

get lean, "cut," and drop some weight?? as suggested earlier, p90x will do it, especially if you're already in decent shape (strong). a family member does it religiously and he's probably around 5-6% bodyfat and obviously very "cut." however he's about 6'2" 175# and if you ask him to pick up something heavy and move it you're both out of luck. p90x has done great things for a shitload of people, and i'm not knocking it at all, but if you're wanting size i'd look elsewhere.

get stronger, bigger, etc. ?? compound movements with heavy weights. squats, deadlifts, cleans, benchpress, etc. perhaps look into crossfit ($$).

"increase my level of fitness" anything is better than nothing, and we all started somewhere. a 20-30 minute jog with some pushups, situps, curls, and pullups a few times/week will put you head and shoulders above most folks. stick with it consistently and you'll have something. if you don't mind dropping a little coin, a kettlebell, a sledgehammer and a tractor trailer tire will wear you out every time.

you cannot outwork a shitty diet.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Kettlebells, been using them fo 20 minutes a day for 5 years now. I am the stongest 55 yo I know and my endurance is better than alot of 20yos. Kettlebells work evey muscle you have they are the super complex movement equipment. I am not talking about the little gay ass bells you see on TV.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you cannot outwork a shitty diet

Words to live by!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First day:
2 sets, 20 reps pushups

Second day:
2 sets, 10 reps pull-ups

This is the only workout I do. I don't do cardio, I let diet take care of the rest.

can you explain to me exactly how you do a set? what i mean is, when you saw 2 sets of this, 2 sets of that, 2 sets of this....would you do one set of 20, pause, the same set of 20, pause, then move on to the next thing in your list?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I do a barbell circut which is great for general fitness.

I use 100 lbs barbell.

8 curls
8 bent over rows
8 high pulls
8 front squat to military press
8 rear squat
8 dead lift

48 reps, 4800 ponds, I do 5 sets of the above, 24 thousand pounds in about 25 minutes. Do the above about twice a week on the other days, do push ups and pulls ups or run.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First day:

2 sets, 20 reps pushups

Second day:

2 sets, 10 reps pull-ups

can you explain to me exactly how you do a set? what i mean is, when you saw 2 sets of this, 2 sets of that, 2 sets of this....would you do one set of 20, pause, the same set of 20, pause, then move on to the next thing in your list?

Yep, I do a set of one exercise, rest, and do the second set. Then move on to the next exercise.

Some claim it's better to do sets in push/pull pairs. Like one set of pull ups, then one set of overhead presses, or one set of bench press followed by one set of rows.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top