Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/1/2001 6:50:48 AM EDT
I'm tired of scraping buy with my el-cheapo spotter that can BARELY pick up a .30 hole at 200 yds. And forget about .223 holes. I/m willing to spend $400-500 on the scope, with another $100 or so on a stand. Any suggestions????
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2001 7:12:51 AM EDT by Halfcocked]
Kowa 821 with 45 degree eyepeice is what I have. I got the zoom and I wish I would have got the fixed power eye piece. 60 power quality isn't there. It works good up to about 40 and they make a 35 power fixed I think. I got mine through Creedmore. Don't get their stand. I can't get the mount over the joints with out loosening them first. Also not the most stable. I seen some at Camp Perry that look like they're made out of 1 1/2 inch aluminum tube that must be a heluva lot more stable. I'm going to get one this year. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:00:26 AM EDT
If size isn't a problem, get a Meade ETX90. Originally intended to be a small astronomical scope, it has become very popular as a spotter. Under ideal conditions, you'll see .223 holes at 1000 yards. For smaller and more portable sizes, try a Kowa 50mm compact with a 20x eyepiece. I haven't got the hang of html yet so I can't make an active link here, but go to Camera Corner at www.camcor.com; they offer plenty of scope options at good prices. Rule of thumb for optics: the human eye (should) discern at a resolution of 1 minute of angle. At 200 yards, this is 2 inches. A .223 hole is roughly 1/10 that, so a minimum 10x is required in this case; 20X will give you better resolution in bad conditions. Too much above 24X results in increased mirage, image wobble, and small field of view. Larger objectives give a brighter image but increase the size of the scope. Like you found out, el cheapo optics can ruin viewing even if you have enough magnification.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:09:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:20:15 AM EDT
You guys are going to laugh at me for suggesting this but do a find on "birding watching." Apparently those people use spotting scopes for watching birds, and there are quite a few out there such as Fujinons, Nikons, Pentaxes, etc, and of course the high-end $1,000+ Leitz, Sworskis(?) & Steiners. My buddy has a Kowa 82mm flourite front objective and a variable 20-60X eyepiece. I think it set him back something like $1,000. But Kowa has some less expensive models.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:24:00 AM EDT
KOWA [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:58:50 AM EDT
Garandman: I just took the plunge... Kowa 821M w/27X long eye relief eyepiece. It's a new model (improved -821), introduced in February. You WANT that 45-degree angled eyepiece. Jim Owens' current price for the scope beats all other offers I've seen. His price includes shipping, cordura cover, 27X eyepiece and screw-on protector for the eyepiece. Most other retailers will nickel & dime you on those accessories. Jim's a Highpower Rifle competitor and good guy. Glad I got mine from him. [url]http://www.jarheadtop.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:18:28 AM EDT
I have the Bausch & Lomb Discoverer. It's 15x to 60x. Downside is that it's large and will wobble in a wind. Mirage problems set in at around 25x. But I can read tail numbers on airplanes 10 miles away on the runway. It works for birds, and spotting. .223 holes are easier to see if you're shooting at a target with a lot of white and not much black. I shoot at a 1" white circle in a 1" black square. I have 1" grid lines around this target and a 1" black spot below it. I can see the shots with my 14x scope most of the time. I can't see the target with my 6x scope.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:03:06 AM EDT
There used to be an outfit in Eugene Oregon called OK Weber. They mail order a lot of highpower shooting supplies like jackets, Kowa scopes, high grade sights and the like. Someone on this board knows a lot more about them I bet. They used to sell a pretty handy shooting tripod with some screw-in extensions so you could shoot prone, sitting or standing and check out the results via the scope. Helps to stick a weight on the bottom of the tripod in windy conditions. The information number for Eugene would be 541-555-1212
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:06:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:33:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2001 9:34:01 AM EDT by Sixtus]
I would check out the Bushnell Spacemaster, I have the 60 MM with the 20X60 long eye relief zoom eyepiece, Model #78-2318 this number is for scope only, they have other models that include a tripod and case, it does fine. I have stuck with Bushnell & Bausch&Lomb products for over 40 years, and they have not let me down yet. I would think they have been around long enough to know how to do it right. Watch your money, do not get caught up in hype.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:43:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2001 9:42:39 AM EDT by warlord]
Originally Posted By Ustulina: They used to sell a pretty handy shooting tripod with some screw-in extensions so you could shoot prone, sitting or standing and check out the results via the scope. Helps to stick a weight on the bottom of the tripod in windy conditions.
View Quote
I didn't deal with Eugene, but I just got my Champion's Choice Inc. catalogue, and they list a scope stand on page 66 that has stand, head, and 3 22-inch 5/8" dia. extensions for $120. They also have a 3/4" dia extensions for $10 extra. There website is www.champchoice.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:17:23 PM EDT
I have the same setup as Waldo with both eyepieces he mentioned. Great at dusk.
Top Top