Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 7/5/2012 7:40:44 AM EDT
So I'm going to need some book recommendations.All I ever heard in school was that it was fought to free the slaves and there's a hell of a lot more to it than that.
Mainly, I'm looking for info on Sherman's march,Gettysburg,the guerilla war in the border states(Quantrill's Raiders etc),Reconstruction, and anything on the Souths perspective.Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:49:22 AM EDT
Google is your friend.

Google : "Sherman's march to the sea".

You learn that he invaded with 100,000.  Was done to 60,000.  His supply line was very long.  It was more expeditious to march in two columns to the sea, hoping to hook up with the Federal fleet. A mistaken belief by General Hood helped.  You learn that thousands of former slaves were following Sherman, but left to their fates as he blew up the bridges behind him.

What is described as a brilliant campaign could have turned into an outright disaster.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:51:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2012 7:52:41 AM EDT by Victor9er]
Wow, there's so much more to it than that (referring to the OP). And the war was not "fought to free the slaves" Yes slavery was an issue but it wasn't the driving force behind what started the war. Lincoln started up the "free the slaves" campaign after the war had already started, in part to generate support for his administration and the ongoing war effort. Many people in the North expected a quick end to the "silly rebellion" and as the war dragged out support began to wan. I'm not saying that slavery was right by any means and I'm not saying that it wasn't important, but it wasn't the single solitary reason for the whole war.

This was one of my favorite subjects when I was in school, I did several book reports on it as a kid. It's been a long time though since I've read up on any of it. I can't suggest any books for you right now but there's a good timeline of events with a few links to some more details here:
http://www.historyplace.com/civilwar/index.html#gettys

The battle of Bull Run (1st Manassas) and the Battle of Gettysburg are also very important events to read up on. There's a detailed description of the Gettysburg battle in the link I provided.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:55:47 AM EDT
I liked Crossroads of Freedom: Antietam by James McPherson.

He makes it pretty clear what a disaster Gen. McClellan was for the Union.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:56:00 AM EDT
In highschool and college I just took history courses because I had to.

In the last 10 years I've really enjoyed reading about American History from the French and Indian Wars, Revolutionary War, upto recent history.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2012 8:01:46 AM EDT by Victor9er]
Some people don't realize that General Lee was originally offered command of the Union army by Lincoln. Lee was actually in favor of preserving the Union but refused the position because he feared his home state (Virginia) would soon secede from the Union and join the Confederacy. They did just that two days later and Lee took his position with the CSA, refusing to march against his birth-state.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:02:09 AM EDT
The two trilogy series done by Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote are great reads.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:02:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Victor9er:
Wow, there's so much more to it than that (referring to the OP). And the war was not "fought to free the slaves" Yes slavery was an issue but it wasn't the driving force behind what started the war. Lincoln started up the "free the slaves" campaign after the war had already started, in part to generate support for his administration and the ongoing war effort. Many people in the North expected a quick end to the "silly rebellion" and as the war dragged out support began to wan. I'm not saying that slavery was right by any means and I'm not saying that it wasn't important, but it wasn't the single solitary reason for the whole war.

This was one of my favorite subjects when I was in school, I did several book reports on it as a kid. It's been a long time though since I've read up on any of it. I can't suggest any books for you right now but there's a good timeline of events with a few links to some more details here:

The battle of Bull Run (1st Manassas) and the Battle of Gettysburg are also very important events to read up on. There's a detailed description of the Gettysburg battle in the link I provided.

Thanks for the link.
I've known for a while that slavery was almost more of a side issue and used (cynically IMHO )as propaganda by the Union.The states rights and economic issues were glossed over in public school;these are the things I'm more curious about.I know a little and since a good Civil War thread on Arfcom is usually pretty informative I figured this was the place to go for more info.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:05:06 AM EDT
Gone for popcorn...waiting for the reconstructionists to come to roost...wishing ETH was here to set them straight.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:06:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FZK556:

So I'm going to need some book recommendations.All I ever heard in school was that it was fought to free the slaves and there's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

Mainly, I'm looking for info on Sherman's march,Gettysburg,the guerilla war in the border states(Quantrill's Raiders etc),Reconstruction, and anything on the Souths perspective.Thanks.

Grey Ghost's of the Confederacy.

War on the Western Border

The Devil knows how to Ride

Three years with Quantrill

Black Flag

I have more recommendations if you eventually get into the Trans-Miss theater and Shelby etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:06:16 AM EDT
Seriously - start with Wikipedia.

If you insist on reading a book, read one written by an established Civil War historian.

There are no end to books about the war, and some of the most popular are the least scholarly.  Most people don't buy books to learn, they buy them to be told that what they already "know" is correct.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:08:07 AM EDT

The civil war was a interesting time in the Country's history. I read a lot of the history when I lived in NJ. I had tons of books and references.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:08:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2012 8:10:19 AM EDT by Bohr_Adam]

Thanks for the link.
I've known for a while that slavery was almost more of a side issue and used (cynically IMHO )as propaganda by the Union.The states rights and economic issues were glossed over in public school;these are the things I'm more curious about.I know a little and since a good Civil War thread on Arfcom is usually pretty informative I figured this was the place to go for more info.

The idea that Lincoln wanted to free the slaves was the propaganda of the secessionists. That was specifically why he himself kept insisting his priority was maintaining the Union - which, ironically, in turn has become what neo-Confederate types use as proof the war was not about Slavery.

You will find plenty of books to make you happy, from the looks of it.  That's where the market is.  On with the circle jerk.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:12:56 AM EDT

If you're interested in border warfare, free state settlers fighting slave state settlers in Kansas, look up John Brown and the 1856 Pottawatomie Massacre and the subsequent Battle of Blackjack. Also the 1858 Marais Des Cygnes Massacre. SHTF 1856 style. Very interesting topics for me although it could be because I live in the area where it all happened.

Another good local Kansas story to look up is Quantrill and Bullet Hole Ellis.

JB

Pottawatomie Massacre

Affidavits on the Pottawatomie Massacre

Battle of Blackjack

Marais Des Cygnes Massacre

Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence, KS.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:27:04 AM EDT
For economic origins, look for Charles Beard and Thomas Woods.  Both have been accused of being biased revisionists, (but on this topic, who hasn't been accused of bias?), but since the stated objective is to get the Southern perspective...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:29:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ED_P:
In highschool and college I just took history courses because I had to.

In the last 10 years I've really enjoyed reading about American History from the French and Indian Wars, Revolutionary War, upto recent history.

Yeah i've got the Patriots Guide to the History of the USA.

need to read it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:29:43 AM EDT
I enjoy reading about Civil War history as much as the next American History buff, but I've found that driving around Gettysburg and stopping at all those memorials is mind numbingly boring

Last time I tried it, I left halfway through and drove to Hershey to watch animitronic cows and buy 1/2 pound Reese Cups

Speed

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:34:25 AM EDT
I am 45 and have always been crazy for anything WWI or WWII related,never had much interest in the Civil War even though this area has a lot of that history around.Hell even the house next door was General Grant's headquarters for a short while and Shiloh is 50 miles away.I even have some artifacts but just don't get into it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:35:22 AM EDT

It was ALWAYS about the slavery issue. Not the only cause to be sure. But it was the central issue from which other questions are raised. It was always an issue that would surface and subside since the Declaration of Independence. Read the Confederacy's Constitution Read the "Cornerstone Speach" and then get back to me. There's been a LOT of Southern revisionist history since the twenties & thirties.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:40:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WindKnot1-1:

It was ALWAYS about the slavery issue. Not the only cause to be sure. But it was the central issue from which other questions are raised. It was always an issue that would surface and subside since the Declaration of Independence. Read the Confederacy's Constitution Read the "Cornerstone Speach" and then get back to me. There's been a LOT of Southern revisionist history since the twenties & thirties.

I read and I'm on my phone now so hard to post refrence but it was about a tax being imposed for each slave owned that started the whole thing
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:42:44 AM EDT

Who needs to read the actual words of the people from the era, when you can buy a book written 30 years ago that tells you what you want to hear?

The actual documents of secession have been poster here hundreds of times, as has Stephens's speech.  

The remarkable thing about all of this to me is the war was so recent that the amount of primary source material is mind boggling.  Nearly ever speech, letter, debate, etc. is documented fully, and in our own language.  It takes a special kind of denial to play the revisionist hand.  It even involves ignoring the history before the war - from the resistance to Jefferson's Declaration (where he was made to remove the anti-slavery bit), to the Constitutional convention, on all the way to "bleeding Kansas."
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:01:51 AM EDT
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
Army of the Potomac Trilogy by Bruce Catton (Mr. Lincoln's Army, The Glory Road, A Stillness at Appomattox)
One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry by John Worsham (great for a webfoot's view of the war)
All For the Union by Elisha Hunt Rhodes (great for a Yankee's view of the war)
Wyman White's Civil War Diary by White (best sharpshooter diary of the war)

Also look for any Civil War Round Tables in your area.  These are meeting groups that have a discussion or a speaker on some Civil War topic.  It saved me a lot of reading by attending these talks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:37:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rearwardassists:

I read and I'm on my phone now so hard to post refrence but it was about a tax being imposed for each slave owned that started the whole thing

I'm sure this "Federal Slave Tax" is well documented, and referenced in many contemporary writings as the final straw that led to violently resisting federal authority.

Interestingly, the Virginia debates about state level Taxation of slaves are pretty fascinating - with some of the same people who would later support secession fearing that an honest appraisal of slave value (slave prices had been on the rise in the mid 19th century, but the Virginia Constitution placed an appraisal ceiling on them) might *gasp* make the institution of slavery unprofitable and cause ti to die out in Virginia.  Such would be intolerable.

Funny, too, how this argument exists side by side with those who make such big deals about how few Southerners owned slaves.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:38:48 AM EDT
Catch EdSr on a lucid day, and he can give you first hand accounts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:41:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Gone for popcorn...waiting for the reconstructionists to come to roost...wishing ETH was here to set them straight.

+1
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:42:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By substandard:

Thought his specialty was the Revolutionary War, back when site staff could buy a bucket of musket balls for $1.75.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:48:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By callahan318:
Originally Posted By substandard:

Thought his specialty was the Revolutionary War, back when site staff could buy a bucket of musket balls for $1.75.

As a young child, Ed. Sr was on the same wagon as Daniel Morgan during Braddock's Expedition to capture Fort Duquense (1755).  Braddock got whipped and Morgan skedaddled with the rest of the retreating column.  I wonder if we can get EdSr to tell us about the great skedaddle.  He must have seen Washington there too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:29:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead08:

Grey Ghost's of the Confederacy.    

War on the Western Border

The Devil knows how to Ride

Three years with Quantrill

Black Flag

I have more recommendations if you eventually get into the Trans-Miss theater and Shelby etc.

I'm going to start with these,but thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:07:09 PM EDT

Start with Shelby Foote's excellent trilogy.  It covers just about everything and is pleasingly neutral in it's presentation.   Mr. Foote was a novelist who decided to write a book on the Civil War.  In the end it took him a few decades and just about wore him out.  As a novelist he knows how to write and it never gets tedious.  You want to turn to the next page to see what happens next.  He has no footnotes as his trilogy was written for he general reader and not the historian.  

Mr Foote was from the south and had ancestors who fought in the war.  He states in one of his prefaces that he hopes that if he has shown any bias at all it is most likely that bias that we as Americans seem to have for the underdog.  

I you want to see what the war was like form the soldiers point of view, "Company Aytch" by Sam Watkins is a fascinating read.  

Remember that since the South lost, their perspective is not important.
Top Top