Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 8:51:47 PM EDT
It 's been about two years since lifting any kind of weights or hitting a bag .
The hardest thing is always sticking to it I know ,Any tips from the pros here
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Reduce calories, exercise... duh.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut down on the snacks.

I used to work at a fitness gym.. and the amount of people who would do a good work out, then eat some of the shittiest food amazed me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It has taken me 10 years to get into shape.

The only problem is that shape is really ROUND!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It has taken me 10 years to get into shape.

The only problem is that shape is really ROUND!

LOL
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
No heavy meals after 6 pm, lots o chicken!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hmmmm, fried chicken!   Buffalo wings, chicken strips!    No problem!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
i know whay you mean, i want to get back in to shape but i need to quit smoking first

in 92 i was 175 lbs, 7 % body fat 5'8" tall, and could run 5 miles with out being out of breath

06 i am still 5'8" i weigh 210 to 215 and could not run down the steps
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm, fried chicken!   Buffalo wings, chicken strips!    No problem!

McNuggets... mmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL i was thinking more of the grilled kind . Goerge forman grill and a bag o cutlets .
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a physical test for a possible job last saturday. Had to do pushups, situps, and a 1.5 mile run. Haven't done any kind of exercise in years. I passed the test, but realized how out of shape I have gotten. Time to start doing something!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I did a physical test for a possible job last saturday. Had to do pushups, situps, and a 1.5 mile run. Haven't done any kind of exercise in years. I passed the test, but realized how out of shape I have gotten. Time to start doing something!!

CO test?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
always taggin these threads..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems like everyone else has the same idea, my gym has exploded with people.....at least for the next 3 months.

Can't wait until all of these slackers realize it's too hard and quit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CO test?

Yep, How'd you guess? Was sore the entire next day I wouldn't have even broken a sweat 5 years ago, cause honestly the test was a joke. Makes me really feel like a turd for not being able to pass it easier
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CO test?

Yep, How'd you guess? Was sore the entire next day I wouldn't have even broken a sweat 5 years ago, cause honestly the test was a joke. Makes me really feel like a turd for not being able to pass it easier

I did that job for alot of years took a early retirement
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Start light. Don't overdue it. Like start with running and push-ups and sit-ups. Lift some light weights. Once you start feeling good about that stuff. Then move it up. Then start lifting heaver stuff. Just keep in mind you can't lift what you used to since you are out of shape. Eating right and staying hydrated and geting enough sleep helps a lot too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Start light. Don't overdue it. Like start with running and push-ups and sit-ups. Lift some light weights. Once you start feeling good about that stuff. Then move it up. Then start lifting heaver stuff. Just keep in mind you can't lift what you used to since you are out of shape. Eating right and staying hydrated and geting enough sleep helps a lot too.

Getting enough sleep is the hardest since find this site
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I work midnights so I guess i am screwed.

Here you want my Diet I last 12 pounds in one month on it.

I ate anything I wanted. Dinner at 5pm was salad Pasta and sauce, Snack at 8pm a couple of pbj sandwiches with milk , 11pm Chicken MAshed potatoes and veggies, 2am Yougort and fruit, 5 am protien shake. 7 am before bed 5 eggs and toast.

Oh one small thing you have to run 30-40 miles a week
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Try to keep it interesting, within reason. Its hard to keep a routine interesting.
I always look at my bike, jog and walk times as times out of the house listening to my discman.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have backed off on the amount of weight I use until I get around to learning proper form once again.

I have been out of practice for a long while and while I could move the weight my form sucked and I decided it is best to start from the beginning because I obviously can't start up where I left off.

One thing I did start doing is eating more meals and eating better.  I used to like to skip breakfast and eat a big lunch and a big dinner and that messed me up throughout the day.

Overall I am relearning some of the simplest stuff but it has already made me feel better during the day so I will accept I need to learn the basics and go forward from there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's my plan. Home gym setup: Power rack, bench(es), free weights. Right now I've got only an Ivanko Easy Curl bar and some weights. But with just that I can do curls, rows and dead lifts of all sorts. I'm starting again after several years off, so taking it easy now with BIG PLANS for the future. Here's some sites I like for equipment, when I think I'm gonna really do this. My current favorites are Legend, Maxicam, and Deltech equipment, along with Ivanko, Cemco and York weights and bars. But I also like IronMind a lot, and have a few of their Captains of Crush Grippers.

GL

---

Power Racks at Mercantila

Weight Benches at Mercantila

Iron Company

Deltech Fitness

Home Gym Central

IronMind

Ivanko Barbell

Ivanko Representative

Legend Fitness

Maximus Fitness

Muscle Dynamics (Maxicam)

Nautilus

New York Barbells

Parabody

PFC Fitness

Strength Training Think Tank

York Barbell

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top