Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 2:58:40 PM EDT
My friend and I (for all you grammar nazis) decided that we were bored.And we like making stuff homemade (fireworks for example).And he decides we should make arrows.Well,whatever I think.The first on we made was complete crap.Now the second one (has feathers,skinnier,arrow like) is awsome.It feel so good to make stuff yourself.And it works!We dont have points so our point is a nail super glued on the tip.Accurate too.We are just using a crappy training bow with it.Anyone else like expirementing with that kinda stuff?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
YA! I love doing that kinda stuff! This one time...

Oh... I gotta go, my mom is laying out my clothes for tomorrow and shes going to be really pissed if I'm not in my pajamas and in bed soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont get it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't swear to it, but I think you've been insulted.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
YA! I love doing that kinda stuff! This one time...

Oh... I gotta go, my mom is laying out my clothes for tomorrow and shes going to be really pissed if I'm not in my pajamas and in bed soon.

J
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can't swear to it, but I think you've been insulted.

Naa..Not trying to be mean, but I'm just pokin fun.. I did a bunch of stuff like that, most of it unsuccessful, when I was young. Coolest one was superglueing shotgun (might have been large pistol) primers to the tip of a wadcutter pellet, and shooting it out of the pellet gun with 1-2 pumps. Would make a little pop when it hit something.

Be careful with the bow, I have a bad memory of attempting to be Robin Hood with a dryed out piece of wood.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, now make a bow, just don't shoot your eye out, kid.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok just joking thats coo i guess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]

just a j/k
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
of the arrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to make a "switchblade" knife with a full length popsicle stick and three shorter pieces and two rubberbands. It was cool.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Could be doing a lot worse things with your time. When the step boys were in the shop or garage they weren't getting into too much trouble.

Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I cant even put up a pic cause I dont know how.I dont have a digital camera or a scanner so I guess I'm screwed.Its just a long slender peice of wood with a nail at the end (duct tape on it cause it broke a little) and a little V-notch so it goes on the string.But its cool.Just as accurate as a normal arrow.At less than half the cost.It was about $.75 to make (found the wood,the feathers were $.75,and the nail was also found).Come on I know some other people have expiremented in making stuff tell us the stories!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My friend and I (for all you grammar nazis)

Isn't it "my friend and me" ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought it was "me and my friend".
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont know.I dont pay attention in english class.I know how to speak friggin english.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
"hold my beer, watch this"
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought it was "me and my friend".

You may be right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Isn't that the last thing a redneck says before he dies?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thats what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you talking about the home made arrow or fireworks?Cause I didnt make a exploding arrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#21]
TGorsk08 - You've been taking some ribbing here. Don't worry about it.

Remember that there is a big market for well made, hand made arrows. As well as hand made bows.

If you enjoy it and your good at it, persue it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I dont get it.

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]
So i'm not the only one.....who doesnt get it that is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
TGorsk08 - You've been taking some ribbing here. Don't worry about it.

Remember that there is a big market for well made, hand made arrows. As well as hand made bows.

If you enjoy it and your good at it, persue it.

+1 dont take a little joke the wrong way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I used to make a "switchblade" knife with a full length popsicle stick and three shorter pieces and two rubberbands. It was cool.

my dad used to make those for me. would you happen to be able to tell me how to make those? I've been wondering about it for a while now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#26]
If you want authentic handmade arrows, look into flint knapping.  Just like the aboriginals of our great land.  Cedar works best.  

www.danswhetstone.com/flintknapping/Rawmaterial.html

have

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
This reminds me of one of my youthful adventures.  Three or four of us 12 year-old guys put all of our intelligence together one afternoon and decided that a flaming arrow would be so cool.  It doesn't take someone staying at Holiday Inn Express to conclude that mixing boys, pointy objects, flamable materials and an energy source is going to lead to some measure of trouble.

We gathered up our stuff, made the arrow, dipped it in gasoline, lit it and let it fly.  Wow, it was so much better than the movies.  You could feel the heat, smell the fumes, and hear it as it coursed unguided through the neighborhood....barely missing a passing motorist in her thirty foot long granny-mobile.

We scattered like quail.  I don't know about the other guys, but I was afraid.  My fear was not the police, the little blue-haired lady we scared, or even a vengeful God.  I feared my mom.

Mom was rather diminutive.  She was almost 5' 1" tall.  She had grown up during the Great Depression, traveled the world as an Army wife, bore four kids (including three lively boys), made machine gun bullets and bombers during the war, and could shoot a .22 quite well.

Mom was not a mild person.  Mom was the Original SWAT Team.  When she worked up a head a steam, Nazi's quaked in fear, let alone red-headed sons who did things without thinking.

As a good Catholic boy I knew nothing about the Rapture.  Nontheless, I prayed for Divine Intervention.  I would take my chances with God if he wanted me.  God was the power; Mom was the fury.

I guess my prayers worked.  Mom never found out and I never shot another flaming arrow into the air.  Then there was the AD in the kitchen with my .45.  Startled me, but by then Mom had joined Dad in heaven.  If she had been there.......
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
You are now ready to make your own broadheads.  Find some reasonably thick scrap steel sheet, trace the shape of the arrowhead you  want, cut it out with a hack saw, file to final shape, and sharpen.  Lash onto the arrow shafts you have already made with about any strong twine and coat with finger nail polish or 5 minute epoxy.  You and your buddy can make a unique broadhead design for each of you.

Don't put your eye out.

By the way, what you have made now is a fishing arrow!  To add a barb, drill a hole through the shaft at an angle, then slip in a finish nail and that's all there is to it.  I made several of these when I was a kid.  Find a coffee can to attach to the bow for a reel.

It's "My buddy and I made an arrow".  Here's a test to determine if it's correct - "I made an arrow." is correct, "Me made an arrow" is fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was young I "lived" in my dads garage, I made everything that I
wanted but couldn't afford to buy. Pops was a pack rat so I always had
plenty of materials to work with.

When my children were young I always made sure they had plenty of scrap wood, nails
screws,duct tape and whatever around for them to use.

Plastic toy crap was for the unimaginative. Now I have my grandkids to do it all over
with again.

TGorsk08, keep up the good work and try making a bow next.

I made several bows but they all snapped in two. I wish I would have had the internet back then,
the information that is availiable now is amazing and so are you.

GM

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Just in case your wondering this isnt a plan for the future.We were just bored.But you think we should go further with the projects?That would be cool I guess.Maybe super arrows that fly forever.....or not.I'll try broadheads.Thanks for the tips.Any more stories?They are usually cool.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, since this was back in the 60's, I guess the statute of limitations has expired.

My brother and I weren't "old enough yet" to have guns, but bow and arrows were just fine.
The arrows were wood with sheetmetal points. We would remove the points, drill an 1/8 inch diameter hole about 3" down the middle of the shaft.  Also,drill a slightly smaller hole in the point. We would take the powder from firecrackers (do you see where this is going?) and collect enough to fill the cavity on several arrows.

Next, we stuck a firecracker fuse thru the jole in the metal arrow point, and re-affix it to the "loaded" shaft.   For max effect, we figured we would shoot these into the air in a big field at night, fully expecting aerial detonation.

Actually, what happened, was the powder moved away from the fuse on launch, and the fuse remained in the nose cap becoming a point detonating fuse.  Really cool! Light fuse, launch, and many seconds later a flash bang in  the night.

Was using a 35 - 40 lb bow, and those suckers had a long hang time.  Had to be real careful about direction of launch, wind drift, and such.  Woulda been real hard to explain an arrow in the noggin.

Damn good thing we were too young to drink then, "hold ma beer and watch this" coulda been real interesting.

BTW, do not even think of doing this, it is real dangerous, quite illegal, and considered a destructive device by the BATF. Besides, what moron would go out on a dark night and fire arrows straight up into the air?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I quess making mortars out of tubes and aluminum cans would be bad here. I would not do it again but sure was fun the first time, ignoring the effect on my buds car that is. Never fire toward where you parked is a valuable lesson learned.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just in case your wondering this isnt a plan for the future.We were just bored.But you think we should go further with the projects?That would be cool I guess.Maybe super arrows that fly forever.....or not.I'll try broadheads.Thanks for the tips.Any more stories?They are usually cool.

Well sonny,have you ever been to a Turkish bath??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top