Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:51:43 PM EDT
I've got a home on 1/2 acre with a 5 acre pasture behind me.  Neighbors on each side about 20 yards each way, but no neighbors behind me, just on the other side of the pasture, about 250 yards.  I live 5 houses down from KC in a burb called Raytown.

I've been thinking about getting a .177 pellet gun that would run 800-1000 fps with a scope, in the 300 range.  I thought this cause my 10/22 with a 16 inch VQ carbon barrel spit out the CB's way too loud..

I dug around in the closet and found my grandpas Marlin 81-DL.  20+ inch barrel and bolt action.  Holds about 15 CB longs and more than 20 CB shorts.  Only sound heard is the firing pin.  It sounds like my 10/22 with a supressor shooting the CB rounds.  Currently there is no rear sight on the gun, but I think I'm going to take it to a gunsmith and get it drilled and tapped for a scope.  I plan on having a big garden next year and there are plenty of rabbits and squirrels that need popped.  In the meantime  I'll set out some dog food and a feeder and pop some starlings and sparrows.  I despise both those breeds.  

Any idea on a scope?  I have a Simmons ATV 4.5x14x40mm on my 10/22.  I'm thinking possibly a 3x9xsomething  I'm not sure if I need the 14x power in the backyard and don't think the Marilin will have the accuracy to shoot out for those needs,  especially with the CB's.

Does anyone know the FPS for the CB's and how accurate are they out of your .22's?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think I would put a lot of money in a scope; the CBs I have shot don’t group tight enough to warrant an expensive scope.

I also suspect the 20+ inch barrel due to it length and the fact there is no propellant burning for virtually that whole length is eating quite a bit of muzzle velocity vurses a 16 inch.

ETA: I don’t think it is wise or humane to be shooting at game with CBs at much more that 25 yards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don’t think I would put a lot of money in a scope; the CBs I have shot don’t group tight enough to warrant an expensive scope.

I also suspect the 20+ inch barrel due to it length and the fact there is no propellant burning for virtually that whole length is eating quite a bit of muzzle velocity vurses a 16 inch.

I'll keep the scope under 50 if I can.  The gun itself probably isn't worth 120.. It's more of a sentimental piece though.  I know the CB's group like sh!t out of my 10/22.  Maybe a silver dollar at 25 yards, whereas wolf match can one hole it with ease.  A 4x20mm scope would probably be sufficient, and I have one leftover from another .22 that I might fit on there.  I have a crossman .177 and it claims 500fps but I think the CB's are coming out much faster,  maybe 700.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
what's it cost to tap and mount a scope rail on a bolt action gun?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
around the $20 range if you know someone good.

a big +1 on cb's.    I've got my dad's old remington, 20' barrel, bolt action.   Just like you said, you hear the firing pin drop.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#5]
CB's are GREAT.  When I lived in FL, I took about 60 squirrels with CB's.  Body shots were no damned good (it would kill em - tomorrow) but one to the head would shut 'em down right there.  A iron sighted browning BL22 was all I needed for head shots on tree rats out to about 20 yards...

One word of caution:  I use a ton of CB's when shooting with my little girl.  The low noise means no need for hearing protection.  The CB's seem to burn a bit dirty.  Fire a lot of  the CB shorts and you'll end up with a little crud ring in the chamber of your rifle.  Start using Long or Long Rifle after a lot of CB shorts, and sometimes extraction can be rough.  

The solution is simple:  Use CB longs, or simply run a brush through teh chamber after an extended CB short session.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, this is an old gun so I'll probably just run the wire brush every few hundred rounds through it.  The bolt action is quite a lot easier to clean the dirty ammo than with the 10/22.  Since CB shorts and longs run the same price I'll probably stick with the longs anyhow.  But it is nice to load about 25 or so shorts in there and blast away.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Remington Subsonics in my 10/22...  With the suppressor attached, it's dead silent. All you hear is the bullet impact and bolt cycling.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I use CB's in my MArlin .22, for rabitts and squirrels in the garden, byut never tried to shoot over 20yds or so.  But up close it works great.  I shoot from my bathroom window, ti the trees and gardens below, and across my lawn.  No one seems to here it, and its killed 'em pretty good.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If you like the CBs, you should try some of the Aguila Colibri 22s. I use them in my model 17 S&W with a 6 inch barrel. Very quiet. Use them for the feral cats and the Blue Jays. 6 rounds real quick on a running cat is a trip. May not hit it, but it doesn't come back.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]

My remington 551 semi actually cycles fine with CB shorts.  Can fit like 25 or so in there!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]

The Marlin 81 DL was set up for a aperature sight on the left side of the receiver.

I see them once in awhile on ebay, pretty cheap.

You might want to go that route instead of scoping it.

Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top