Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 12:21:29 PM EDT
I just found out that my checking account is over drawn, and my car is going to cost over $600 to fix. I have nothing in savings (hub has only been out of the military for a short time). I have no credit cards to put the repairs on, and we have no family to borrow from. This is our only car so it has to be fixed. My hub works too far away to go without a car. The car will be paid off in February, but until then we are just plain screwed. To top it off our daughter's birthday is coming up. We normally do fine, and an unexpected $200 we could have handled, but $600 - $700 is more than we can take right now. I know everyone has been in a position like this at least once before, but I had to rant a little.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
paypal sent!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm right there with you.  Why does Amsouth charge $30 PER ITEM that hits your account while overdrawn?  I think it's time to move banks...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, over the past year I've spent about the blue book value on repairs to my car (stupid crank angle sensor was 450 freakin dollars!) and I'm not exactly in a position to be spending that kindof money.

Luckily I was "stupid" and bought a motorcycle when I was 20, so I was able to drive that back and forth from work and left my car in the garage till I could afford the repairs both times.

We've all been there and the stress really isn't something you need.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
most car repair shops are out to rip you off, go get a second opinion on the repair
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just found out that my checking account is over drawn, and my car is going to cost over $600 to fix. I have nothing in savings (hub has only been out of the military for a short time). I have no credit cards to put the repairs on, and we have no family to borrow from. This is our only car so it has to be fixed. My hub works too far away to go without a car. The car will be paid off in February, but until then we are just plain screwed. To top it off our daughter's birthday is coming up. We normally do fine, and an unexpected $200 we could have handled, but $600 - $700 is more than we can take right now. I know everyone has been in a position like this at least once before, but I had to rant a little.

That is why god created PAWNSHOPS. You have a computer (other wise you wouldnt be here) Im sure you got Playstatins, game boys, DVDs, TV, Stereos, Jewerly. etc. etc. This is a gun site, so im sure there are guns. Where there is a means there is a solution. Cash advance on jobs, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ebay!!!

Seriously, you know you have closets full of crap you've been meaning to clean out. Gather all the crap up and put it on Ebay. Start your bids at $1 so the ad only costs 35 cents. You'll be in good shape in no time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Try a different repair shop or DIY (do it yourself --if you can).  You'd be surprised at how easy most auto repair can be.  Find out what needs to be repaired ot replaced, get some advice on how to change the part (a repair manual can be a great help), then go buy the part (or parts) at an auto parts store--you'll save big bucks on parts you buy yourself at a discount auto parts place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I know what you mean.  All the hospital bills for the birth of little Ms. Wedge are coming in and Mrs. Wedge has not gone back to work yet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that the great State of Alaska just gave me and 600,000 other Alaskans $919 today for just living here
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm right there with you.  Why does Amsouth charge $30 PER ITEM that hits your account while overdrawn?  I think it's time to move banks...

new fed regulations permit banks real time processing of checks now. NO MORE LAG TIME BETWEEN WRITTING A CHECK AND IT HITTING YOUR BANK!!!!

This is going to cause some folks some MAJOR banks fees in the near future. If you live by floating checks you need to change your habits ASAP!!!

mike

Yeah, but the "Check 22" system isn't implemented for another couple of days, right?

My woes are due to Columbus Day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for reading my rant. I know my husband and I will work something out, and yes I did take it to the place that can fix it for the least amount of money. Not looking for sympathy, but needed to whine a little. This may keep me from chewing someone's head off (like a telemarketer) later today.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Whats wrong with the car.

Anything is fixable

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whats wrong with the car.

Anything is fixable

Just wondering.

Timing belt, rotators, and water pump.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
paypal sent!

LOL, smart-a*s!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why god created PAWNSHOPS. You have a computer (other wise you wouldnt be here) Im sure you got Playstatins, game boys, DVDs, TV, Stereos, Jewerly. etc. etc. This is a gun site, so im sure there are guns. Where there is a means there is a solution. Cash advance on jobs, etc.

Ditto - Cut the cable or dish, no more internet at home, cancel magazine subscriptions, no more manicures, eating out, movies, sell the stuff you don't need, turn the lights off and the heat down, don't buy brandname groceries...

I know it sounds harsh, but we are going through the same situation right now.  Good luck, and perhaps there is a way for you to make money in your spare time?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
paypal sent!

Dude, thats wrong.

wifeofgunnut,
Pawn shops and cash advance places charge so much interest that you end up worse off...be very careful with them.  Maybe the local united way or a crisis ministries type of outfit could offer your some assistance.   I'd pony up 5 bucks by paypal to help out but don't have your email address.  Not really sure how you could get your email address out without posting it.  I'm serious about this.  How about it, anyone else up for helping out?  100 people x 5 dollars almost gets the car fixed, and 5 dollars ain't all that much if you think about it.  

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top