Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2005 6:57:28 AM EDT
Where in g-d's good name does dust come from?

I clean my place once or twice a week - complete job, all furniture, every surface etc.  (sm. apt.).

There is ALWAYS dust on the surfaces.  
ALWAYS.  

I wipe it off, fantastik and what not, and three or four days later, IT'S BACK!

How do you get rid of it?

Bit of a pissed off neat freak here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
you don't want to know....really
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Dead skin that has flaked off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The majority of the dust comes from...... YOU.

Stop shedding that skin and you can dust less
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]
BETTER TITLES GET BETTER RESPONESE.  HELP US HELP YOU!!!
Correct title:  Source of dust?   j/k

Isn't it also from dust mites crapping all over the place?
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Duct tape the knick-knack stuff in place and use the leaf blower.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How do you get rid of it?

One of the few benefits of marriage !
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Carpet, skin, furnace, you name it
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Get an airfilter for each room. You will be amazed at what it sucks in.  People say smoking is bad but I wonder what my lungs look like with all of the dust I have sucked in over the years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#9]
1.  Get a good air filter for your central AC/Heat and change it every 30 days.  I have a reuseable filter that is cleaned with water and a mild detergent every 30 days.

2.  Get a good filter on your vaccum cleaner.

3.  Dust with Pledge.

4.  Keep your windows and doors closed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The majority is dead skin flakes, but also fibers from tissue paper and carpet, and a tiny bit is stuff from outside, though the amount is very small - unless you live in a dry area with a lot of blown dust.

I heard somewhere that the average adult loses about 40 pounds of skin a year, though, of course, most of that is washed off in the shower.  Ever scrape the soles of your feet while taking a shower?  It's nasty.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Dust comes from dead people.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#12]
What do you think happens to all those socks that disappear?
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Popcorn farts mostly....
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#14]
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
-- Genesis 3: 17-19 (KJV)
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Here in the AZ dust bowl it is in the air.
Everything is so dry it eventually turns into dust.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Oric has an air purifier forgot it's name but on the infomercial it showed what the filter looked like after 30 days of use.

The filter uses some sort of electrolasis to attract the impurites in the air and after a number of days the filter was cleaned and the water was Dirt black.  
They said we inhale about 2 teaspoons of that dirty stuff every day.

It was a consistant report with other filters of similar design.

Get a good quality filter, remember replacement filters cost money so I would go with one that has uses that partical attraction thing on metal plates.  

Their a newer design and quite effective, from what I saw.

Remove dust by cleaning the air.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I had this problem at my old house.  It was way too much dust for a normal house especially since we lived on a loud main road and kept the windows closed alot.  When we replaced the carpet in the living/Dining/main hall, I realized the burlap backing on the cparet was deteriorating and turning into dut.  As soon as the new carpet was in, everything was much better.  This problem started well before that carpet needed to get replaced, BTW.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1.  Get a good air filter for your central AC/Heat and change it every 30 days.  I have a reuseable filter that is cleaned with water and a mild detergent every 30 days.

2.  Get a good filter on your vaccum cleaner.

3.  Dust with Pledge.

4.  Keep your windows and doors closed.

+1 but I vacuum my filter out daily.  I live on a ranch and a dirt road [with neighbors who go screaming by].  I dust with my used dryer sheets too.  Once a week I vacuum the sofa & chairs too as my kids will flop on them and the dust will go flying.

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top