Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2012 11:38:52 PM EDT
I just wrote a letter to an anti-gun electronics store. You should steal it and.... send it to your anti-gun company of choice. It would take a few small tweaks but you could send this letter out to any anti-gun establishment in your area and help further the cause.

Walked into this electronics store today to help my friend pick out a terabyte external hard drive. I was concealed carrying and he was open carrying. A store employee walks up and tells him to leave so we left and spent his money at a different store in the same plaza. Terabyte external hard drives aren't cheap they lost a lot of money off of that stupid decision so I sent them a quick email.

To whom it may concern.

Hello, I was asked to leave your
store in Phoenix, Arizona today because I was legally open carrying a
handgun. I'm not sure if this stores actions reflect your companies
policy on the lawful carry of a handgun or if the manager of this
particular store made this policy. Either way it needs to change and I
will tell you why.

The number one reason it needs to
change: You're losing money. I was in your store to buy Windows 7 software
and a terabyte external hard drive, you lost hundreds of dollars to a
rival business because you wouldn't let a potential customer into your
store. This store is located in Phoenix, Arizona the heart of a VERY
pro-gun state and I am just one customer think how many hundreds of
customers you lose due to this horrible policy.

The next reason and what I would
think would be the most obvious: When you remove all the law abiding
citizens who are legally carrying weapons from your store all you have
left are the criminals that carry guns....... If your company is naive
enough to think a no-gun sign is going to be enough to keep an armed
criminal out of your store you are dead wrong.

I was offended at how I was treated, and that I was not welcome simply
because I carry a firearm for self defense. I have never threatened
anyone with my weapon, and have no intention whatsoever to use it
unlawfully. It is strictly for the defense of myself and those I love.

I do not conceal my weapon
because I feel that having it in the open is a crime deterrent and that
is the most comfortable way for me to carry it. What is
unfortunate is that if I had concealed my weapon I would have been left
alone this would not have occurred which would have made your
establishment a safer place. If someone had entered
the store with the intent to rob it or harm the employees they would
have been severely dissuaded upon seeing an armed citizen and would most
likely leave to seek a softer target.

I have spread the story of how I was treated on many pro-gun websites
and asked them along with my friends and
family to not support Frys Electronics. I have also reported this
incident to the AZCDL (over 6000 members strong) and a few gun clubs I
belong to.

Personally I will not support a
business who is unwilling to support me. I have been a long time
customer with your company and I appreciate the selection and prices but
I will not return as long as your anti-gun policy is in place. I will
not become a
potential victim over an
unconstitutional policy that puts people at risk. I would much rather
just drive one block further and give my money to your competitor.

Frys Electronics is the only electronics store I have been told I could not
carry in. You should be aware (as I am sure you are) that it is your
right to deny service to anyone. However, denying service to someone for
simply carrying a gun which is completely lawful is offensive to me
and others.

If you reverse your
unconstitutional policy and let law abiding citizens who chose to have a
means of self protection spend their money at your store I will return
with the business of myself, my friends, and my family and I will put
the word out to the pro-gun organizations that I am connected to that
Fry's Electronics deserves our business. Until that happens your company
has been black walled.

Best Buy your rival store made a
couple hundred dollars today that I tried to spend at your store. I
wonder how often that happens.

Sincerely a concerned citizen.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Two things. Company's not companies. Black balled not black walled. Otherwise pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Two things. Company's not companies. Black balled not black walled. Otherwise pretty good.

Also "store's" not "stores."

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, their store, their rules. Private property and all that. You voted with your wallet. I couldnt care less what their policy is. Im there to buy electronics, not debate OC merit or my 2A rights.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cary Concealed.  To Hell with those little "no gun" signs.  I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  

I understand open carry - but I can't grasp the tactical advantage.  Why make yourself a target by hanging it all out there?  I don't want anyone to know I'm packing until they hear a pop or two.

That being said - screw that shop.  If they were worried about you robbing the place - the move to refuse you service and tell you to leave is probably a bad idea.

You, showing that you are packing, were probably the best anti-theft device the store has ever had.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice letter. Gets the point across clear and respectfully.
I would have written a "f*** you motherf*****s* letter and made things worse
Glad you're on ourside
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
For a more effective letter, include names, dates, locations, etc. And if you were treated rudely, make sure you provide details.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Terrabyte hard drives are expensive because of the flooding in south east asia...where they are almost all manufactured. Chances are...that shop did not lose THAT much money. The price is inflated...and there is likely VERY little margin on them in order to remain somewhat competitive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:05:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Who in the hell buys Windows in a retail store?  

On the other hand, I'll remember to not O/C in my local Fry's....... oh .......
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck. Fry's Electronics has been stupid since I started dealing with them in the early 1990's. You aren't going to change their mind and depending on location, they sometimes take the signs down, then they reappear. I've talked to the management and it falls on deaf ears. It's a corporate decision and that decision is driven from thier HQ in CA.

Best advice, fuck 'em and go somewhere else. I OC a lot, but since I'm LE, I will sometimes just put my badge on my belt and go about my business but I do keep a covering garment in the car just in case or my Maxpedition bag.

Ya can't fix stupid with logic. Either ignore the sign and conceal or shop elsewhere. They've lost thousands of dollars from me over the years and I only buy from them when I have no other option.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, their store, their rules. Private property and all that. You voted with your wallet. I couldnt care less what their policy is. Im there to buy electronics, not debate OC merit or my 2A rights.

+1

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cary Concealed.  To Hell with those little "no gun" signs.

Fuck that shit.

Ignoring the signs is fucking stupid.

Why in the hell would you want to financially support a company that puts up the signs?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:58:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just wrote a letter to an anti-gun electronics store. You should steal it and.... send it to your anti-gun company of choice. It would take a few small tweaks but you could send this letter out to any anti-gun establishment in your area and help further the cause.

Walked into this electronics store today to help my friend pick out a terabyte external hard drive. I was concealed carrying and he was open carrying. A store employee walks up and tells him to leave so we left and spent his money at a different store in the same plaza. Terabyte external hard drives aren't cheap they lost a lot of money off of that stupid decision so I sent them a quick email.

To whom it may concern.

Hello, I was asked to leave your store in Phoenix, Arizona today because I was legally open carrying a handgun. I'm not sure if this stores actions reflect your companies policy on the lawful carry of a handgun or if the manager of this particular store made this policy. Either way it needs to change and I will tell you why.

The number one reason it needs to change: You're losing money. I was in your store to buy Windows 7 software and a terabyte external hard drive, you lost hundreds of dollars to a rival business because you wouldn't let a potential customer into your store. This store is located in Phoenix, Arizona the heart of a VERY pro-gun state and I am just one customer think how many hundreds of customers you lose due to this horrible policy.

The next reason and what I would think would be the most obvious: When you remove all the law abiding citizens who are legally carrying weapons from your store all you have left are the criminals that carry guns....... If your company is naive enough to think a no-gun sign is going to be enough to keep an armed criminal out of your store you are dead wrong.

I was offended at how I was treated, and that I was not welcome simply because I carry a firearm for self defense. I have never threatened anyone with my weapon, and have no intention whatsoever to use it unlawfully. It is strictly for the defense of myself and those I love.

I do not conceal my weapon because I feel that having it in the open is a crime deterrent and that is the most comfortable way for me to carry it. What is unfortunate is that if I had concealed my weapon I would have been left alone this would not have occurred which would have made your establishment a safer place. If someone had entered the store with the intent to rob it or harm the employees they would have been severely dissuaded upon seeing an armed citizen and would most likely leave to seek a softer target.

I have spread the story of how I was treated on many pro-gun websites and asked them along with my friends and family to not support Frys Electronics. I have also reported this incident to the AZCDL (over 6000 members strong) and a few gun clubs I belong to.

Personally I will not support a business who is unwilling to support me. I have been a long time customer with your company and I appreciate the selection and prices but I will not return as long as your anti-gun policy is in place. I will not become a potential victim over an unconstitutional policy that puts people at risk. I would much rather just drive one block further and give my money to your competitor.

Frys Electronics is the only electronics store I have been told I could not carry in. You should be aware (as I am sure you are) that it is your right to deny service to anyone. However, denying service to someone for simply carrying a gun which is completely lawful is offensive to me and others.

If you reverse your unconstitutional policy and let law abiding citizens who chose to have a means of self protection spend their money at your store I will return with the business of myself, my friends, and my family and I will put the word out to the pro-gun organizations that I am connected to that Fry's Electronics deserves our business. Until that happens your company has been black walled.

Best Buy your rival store made a couple hundred dollars today that I tried to spend at your store. I wonder how often that happens.

Sincerely a concerned citizen.

they are $82 at radio shack right now
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

So you openly admit on a gun board no less, that you support anti-gun companies with your money.  how fawking stupid is that?

Morons.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Good for you. Speak your mind. Use your 1st and 2nd amendments. Use them or lose them!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I dunno.............."black walled".................. is pretty good

GD
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#16]
So, your friend was open carrying, and he was buying the terabyte drive? Then why did you lie in your letter and say it was you?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Cary Concealed.  To Hell with those little "no gun" signs.  I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  

I understand open carry - but I can't grasp the tactical advantage.  Why make yourself a target by hanging it all out there?  I don't want anyone to know I'm packing until they hear a pop or two.

That being said - screw that shop.  If they were worried about you robbing the place - the move to refuse you service and tell you to leave is probably a bad idea.

You, showing that you are packing, were probably the best anti-theft device the store has ever had.

I don't understand open carry - I can't grasp the tactical advantage.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread will devolve into alot of name calling and bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#19]
stop trying to draw attention to yourself and you wont have those problems
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, Your enthusiam is appreciated.  You should avoid I statements as much as possible (especially your feelings) and make your points in half the words. Ultimately,it's still a quasi free country and your angle on loss of business is probably most compelling.  

Does anyone know of any businesses where there is an insurance incentive to implement anti-gun policies?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Check out my blog:

http://www.thingsididlastnight.com/
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Texas, Arizona's retarded brother. Keep your Texas ideology away from my beautiful state. Also please read. I was concealed.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you write good letters when you have good service or are you just a chronic complainer?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Best Buy?  You're complaining to Best Buy???

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Good luck with that.

No. Best Buy is not the store I wrote the letter to. The name of the store is mentioned multiple times in the OP

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Do you write good letters when you have good service or are you just a chronic complainer?

This review is from: A Large Doner and Chips (that little Kebab Van on the side of the A38)

Dear Emirhan,

Mate, last night that Doner 'n Chips was fucking ace. I was fucking chuffed with the fat portion of lamb doner, and those chips were well crispy. Sound as a fucking pound, fella.

The Pitta was the tits, too. Not soggy and shit, not too hard or nuffin, but just fukken right. The Garlic Mayo was gert fukken lush, went down a proper treat.

Spot on, son. Dead impressed, will be returning again. Nuff said.

Published on 06 July by Cromlech B Limey

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck with that.

No. Best Buy is not the store I wrote the letter to. The name of the store is mentioned multiple times in the OP

Frys –– same thing.    They're a horse apiece.  But good luck when you complain to Best Buy eventually about the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.

Frys –– same thing.    They're a horse apiece.  But good luck when you complain to Best Buy eventually about the same thing.
You can open carry in Best Buy's here in AZ. That is where we went when we left Fry's. That is also mentioned in the OP

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.............."black walled".................. is pretty good

GD

if thats anything like blue balled im against it
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck with that.

You can open carry in Best Buy's here in AZ. That is where we went when we left Fry's.

Then you're lucky because Best Buy has a reputation for being pricks.  Don't get me wrong, I hope you can continue to carry without hassle there, but it seems like Best Buy is nothing but a complaint factory these days.  I can just see that Best Buy will have an issue in the future.  If not, great, but just be prepared.  As for Frys, they were  good at first but they've gone down hill fast.   So much easier to just shop online nowadays for electronics.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas, Arizona's retarded brother. Keep your Texas ideology away from my beautiful state. Also please read. I was concealed.

In your OP you say you were open carrying, but here you say concealed.

So which is the truth?

NVM - I see you were carrying concealed and it was your friend OC'ing.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#32]
You'd letter says multiple times that what they did was unconstitutional.  There is nothing unconstitutional about a private business saying what can and can't be brought into their store.  I also do not support anti gun businesses, but your letter needs to be more factually based.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This thread will devolve into alot of name calling and bullshit.

The hell it will.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So which is the truth?

In the Op it says I was concealed carrying

"Walked into this electronics store today to help my friend pick out a
terabyte external hard drive. I was concealed carrying and he was open
carrying. A store employee walks up and tells him to leave so we left
and spent his money at a different store in the same plaza. Terabyte
external hard drives aren't cheap they lost a lot of money off of that
stupid decision so I sent them a quick email. "

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So which is the truth?

"Walked into this electronics store today to help my friend pick out a terabyte external hard drive. I was concealed carrying and he was open carrying. A store employee walks up and tells him to leave so we left and spent his money at a different store in the same plaza. Terabyte external hard drives aren't cheap they lost a lot of money off of that stupid decision so I sent them a quick email. "

And if you look at my post, you'll see I corrected myself.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You'd letter says multiple times that what they did was unconstitutional.  There is nothing unconstitutional about a private business saying what can and can't be brought into their store.  I also do not support anti gun businesses, but your letter needs to be more factually based.

I didn't say it was illegal or unlawful I said unconstitutional. The constitution says you have the right to bear arms, Fry's Electronics says you don't.

That is the last time in this thread I help someone with a reading failure.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#37]
You need to work on your punctuation..... Other than that, it's pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Fun fact: Fry's was started in Silicon Valley with the business model of selling tech parts/supplies and PORN to electronics professionals.  The last time I was in a Fry's was about 5 years ago and they still had the porn.  I think they should embrace their heritage and add guns and liquor.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Who in the hell buys Windows in a retail store?  

On the other hand, I'll remember to not O/C in my local Fry's....... oh .......

Frys sells OEM Windows.

I believe in property rights.  They could put up a sign that said 'whites only' and I would support their freedom to do so.

This is why you carry concealed.

Complaint letters are fine, but short and sweet is more effective, otherwise it sounds petty.  Like a miffed gun owner that has nothing better to do than vent.

Dear Sir,

I love your store and always had a great experience.  The reason I'm writing you this letter is because of my last visit to your store was unpleasant.  An employee was exceptionally offensive in regards to lawful firearm laws.  I was compelled to leave your store and shop elsewhere without hassle.  I hope that my letter is helpful in making you aware of an issue that needs attention.

Thank you for your time,
John 'Accidental Discharge' Doe
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck with that.

You can open carry in Best Buy's here in AZ. That is where we went when we left Fry's. That is also mentioned in the OP

Twice owned

Eta OP I thought you're in college?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So, your friend was open carrying, and he was buying the terabyte drive? Then why did you lie in your letter and say it was you?

That's a good point.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good point.

First thought that crossed my mind as well.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So which is the truth?

"Walked into this electronics store today to help my friend pick out a terabyte external hard drive. I was concealed carrying and he was open carrying. A store employee walks up and tells him to leave so we left and spent his money at a different store in the same plaza. Terabyte external hard drives aren't cheap they lost a lot of money off of that stupid decision so I sent them a quick email. "

But in your letter you say it was YOU who was open carrying.

I'm not being nit-picky here, but if you're going to write a such a letter to a company, wouldn't it be better to tell the truth?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say it was illegal or unlawful I said unconstitutional. The constitution says you have the right to bear arms, Fry's Electronics says you don't.

That is the last time in this thread I help someone with a reading failure.

Surely, Arizona would agree with you.  Oh wait, they don't.

I entered a private business with my concealed handgun and CCW
permit.   The business did not have any signs posted prohibiting
weapons. Shortly   thereafter, an employee approached me and said they
do not allow firearms in   their business and I must take the gun off
the premises. Can they do   that?

Yes. Arizona law permits private business owners (or
their designates) to   prohibit weapons from being brought onto their
property, whether signs are   posted or not. Private businesses are
typically non-government operated   businesses such as grocery and
department stores, convenience stores,   laundromats, banks, office
complexes, etc. Failure to obey the request can   result in your arrest
for trespassing. (ARS 13-1502 / ARS 13-1503)                      

From here: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Questions/#30

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#45]
If you had carried concealed you wouldnt have had to go through all the trouble of writing that rather lengthy letter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Black balled not black walled.

He's going black balls to the wall.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Sorry OP, but if a letter like that came across my desk and I was in retail it'd just get photocopied a bunch, mocked, and distributed for others to mock.  The entire thing is painful to read, it feels like it was written by a C-level high school student.

Also, holy fuck lawl for thinking fry's gives even the tiniest shit about customer service.  The entire store is staffed by nothing but fresh off the boat African immigrants who barely speak English and don't even try to hide their contempt for you, and good fucking luck if you actually need help finding an item or technical advice. If your problem can't be solved by a $30 USB cable or $150 HDMI monster cable, it can't be solved, period, so you better just buy all new shit.

Fry's gets business because they're local and often have shit no one else does, and you need it now.  Otherwise it's newegg, Amazon, or monoprice.  

It's an electronics convenience store, you don't go there and expect service anymore than you do at 7-11 when you drop in for a snack and a drink.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

So you openly admit on a gun board no less, that you support anti-gun companies with your money.  how fawking stupid is that?

Morons.

Not quite what I said. What I will say is this; if you start down the slippery slope of - I wont shop at a store/ buy from a company that does X because I believe Y, you will soon find yourself with nowhere to shop and nothing to buy. It's the world we live in. I've accepted that and moved on to choose my battles. I dont have to question your intelligence to make the point that my thoughts differ from yours. Does that make me smarter  or you?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top