Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:17 PM EDT
I love reading, but haven't gotten any new books recently. Non-religious books that is. So I figured it was time to treat myself. I was browsing the reading list on lightfighter, picked a few from there, and some that I had been wanting to read.

Militant Tricks: Battlefield Ruses of the Islamic Insurgent - H. John Poole
The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker  
Fear Less: Real Truth About Risk, Safety, and Security in a Time of Terrorism - Gavin de Becker  
Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected  - Rory Miller
Strong on Defense: Survival Rules to Protect you and your Family from Crime - Sanford Strong

Now, I'm not trying to be all tier one operator with my choices, but I love learning, especially about these topics. And my wife is former LE, soon to be going for her masters in psychology, so they're good books that she would find mutual interest in, given that they are obviously related to both topics.

So, given my obvious taste in books, what do you all think should be on my next order?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Rifleman Went To War.... Read it. GREAT book.

The Emma Gees seems similar. Probably on my next order. I greatly believe that the military keeps fucking up, by forgetting lessons learned by deeming them irrelevant. If you can learn ONE thing that translates into making yourself better at fighting in a modern age, from something 100 years ago, it is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]

How about.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You like to read and drink.....very good.

Dispatches: by Michael Herr.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Tigers in the Mud.  Classic reading.
Order in Chaos - Panzer General Herman Balck's memoirs.  He was commander of the 48th Panzer Corps in Russia.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I really enjoyed this book.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Op..try this one..its a great read about some great people and times, and you just might pick up some good info in the process....

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Tigers in the Mud.  Classic reading.

Order in Chaos - Panzer General Herman Balck's memoirs.  He was commander of the 48th Panzer Corps in Russia.
View Quote
I have a signed copy of Tiger im Schlamm.

Hadn't heard of Balck's book.

Off to Amazon!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You like to read and drink.....very good.

Dispatches: by Michael Herr.
View Quote

Hell yes! Best thing to do in the winter when the snow gets heavy. Some beer or a glass of Jameson and a book!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]

I read that when I was like. 12. (Yes I was a nerd) I don't remember it much, so I may pick it up again!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#13]
It is about Islam - Glenn Beck

Stupid black men - Larry Elder

Dear Leader - Jang Sing
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Lincoln's Bodyguard. An AF guy and old friend of mine wrote it. Alternative history of the lincoln assasination.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Gibbon - Decline and Fall (Abridged unless you're an insane history buff)
The Prince and The Art of War (Basics for dealing with people in day to day life)
Be Expert with Map and Compass (It's a classic for a reason)
Blood Meridian, Moby Dick, and The Old Testament (Keeps you warm)
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
early in thread no one posted the 55 gal of lube yet
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in the middle of reading No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan and Sixguns by Elmer Keith and they're pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Op..try this one..its a great read about some great people and times, and you just might pick up some good info in the process....

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0301_zpsghln6vyt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0301_zpsghln6vyt.jpg</a>
View Quote

IS THAT ON TOP OF YOUR HERBY CURBY???

I'll have to pick that up. Love a good Alaska read, originally from there...

Also, OP needs to learn how to multiqoute
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Just wanted to say that "Strong on Defense: Survival Rules to Protect you and your Family from Crime - Sanford Strong " is fucking legit.  

Reading those real horror stories and how to get your mindset on has definitely helped my own.

Good choice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The Scourage of the Swastika, Six Months in 1945(Knopf), Berlin at War (Moorhouse) and Voices from  Chernobyl (Alexievich). All pretty good books.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Favorite movie as a kid. On the list!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dear Leader - Jang Sing
View Quote

I think this is the most value I've gotten out of a targettarget post ever

Dear Leader looks like it may be a good insight to a potential future ground war enemy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Lights Out by David Crawford, he is an arfcommer.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Unbreakable A Navy seals way of life
http://www.amazon.com/Unbreakable-Navy-SEALs-Way-Life/dp/1940262372
View Quote

Is this actually worth reading?

TBH, I am getting fucking annoyed with every SEAL writing a book
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dear Leader looks like it may be a good insight to a potential future ground war enemy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear Leader - Jang Sing

The fuck you say?  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I greatly believe that the military keeps fucking up, by forgetting lessons learned by deeming them irrelevant. If you can learn ONE thing that translates into making yourself better at fighting in a modern age, from something 100 years ago, it is worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I greatly believe that the military keeps fucking up, by forgetting lessons learned by deeming them irrelevant. If you can learn ONE thing that translates into making yourself better at fighting in a modern age, from something 100 years ago, it is worth it.

In that case you would probably enjoy The Social History of the Machine Gun.

"Mr. Ellis has written a most unusual book. His thesis contends that the invention of the machine gun and the failure of the military to recognize it significance in the decades leading up to WWI, considering it useful only against tribesmen and other "primitives", led directly to the horrific slaughter of WWI and the static warefare of the trenches. He looks in depth at the military subculture of Victorian England and how it was incapable of recognizing the significance of the machine gun-and those who attempted to place the weapon into the British Army's scheme of things were sanctioned and gagged. When we finally get to the chapter on WWI it is akin to reading one of Shakespear's tragedies. The inevitability of the butchery is made all that more terrible by the knowledge that the deliberite myopia of the British and French higher command ensured that their troops used outmoded tactics against emplaced German forces and their Maxim guns.

More at the link...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Another good one that I'm just finishing is "Rise of The Warrior Cop" by Radley Balko.

It details how we went from a basically polite society to an overwhelming police state.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top