Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/24/2004 6:22:06 PM EST
Lil' guy, 3, had a bad fall at the playground and cut his forhead open, to the skull. Four hours later at the E-room, stitches. My Son is VERY powerful, it took a "papoose" strap-in and 5 nurses in addition to the doctor to keep him from a-wigglin'. At any rate, to watch him in this pain, this agony, I tasted it. We all rhetorically state that we would kill or die to save our children form pain, and tonight, very seriously, while watching this unfold, I tasted the rage. Not at the doctor or nurses, of course, they were GREAT. But RAGE at seeing my Son go through this. If there were any way, anything at all, that I could have done to remove this for him, I would have. And as for someone hurting him on PURPOSE, I tasted, and it does have a TASTE, that I COULD have done ANYTHING for my Son. This was stitches, no big deal. But it was the first time that I have had to watch my Son in a confused, scared, white-hot terror. And I did NOT like it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:26:45 PM EST
Ack! I watched mt 2 y/o get stitches, it's not real fun. Whats worse is an IV. Make sure that you get someone who knows WTF they are doing, otherwise they get to try it 2 or 3 times all the while your son/daughter is screaming.

And what sucks is they don't fully understand why they have to go through this....and there isn't shit you can do. :(
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:27:25 PM EST
My sympathies. So far I have been lucky but I know just how you feel. That sick, powerless feeling in your stomach. Glad he is ok.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:29:51 PM EST
I understand what your feeling, I really do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:31:23 PM EST
He looks just like you Paul only with hair. Kids are great! I hope the little fellow recovers quickly. No concussion with a lick to the noggin hard enough to bust the skin to the bone? That's one tough little guy. I'da been crying like a little girl.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:42:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:49:46 PM EST
Threads like this make me feel for my father.

Roughest job he ever had was raising me.

I was a handful.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:53:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By piccolo:

I was a handful.

But I bet ya he would say it was worth every minute.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:53:25 PM EST
Cute lil guy!!!!

Takes after his mom?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:54:35 PM EST

I know what you went through. When my son was 1 years old they needed to draw blood from him.
His arms were to small to try. So we had to get the blood from a veiv in his head. So I held him still while the nures drew blood from his head. And No not his penis.

What was funny, was my exwife. Which is a medical assistant. Couldn't handle it, she left the room before we started.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:57:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Carbine10:

I know what you went through. When my son was 1 years old they needed to draw blood from him.
His arms were to small to try. So we had to get the blood from a veiv in his head. So I held him still while the nures drew blood from his head. And No not his penis.

What was funny, was my exwife. Which is a medical assistant. Couldn't handle it, she left the room before we started.

I've had to watch my son get an IV twice now:

Once when he had the flu and was dehydrated, his poor little veins were not in the best of shape for getting one because of the dehydration and the nurse had to try three times. She blew out a vein and that was it for me, I made her get the senior nurse...people..(not sure the term) that had lots of experience, they finally got it.

Second time was recently and thankfully they only had to try twice (still bad, but better). They're veins (usually) are pretty tough to get into.

Just sucks cause it is the END OF THE WORLD for them, they have no idea why you are putting them through this pain, and even if oyu are there holding their hand they still can't understand why you are letting people hurt them. It sucks
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:03:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 7:04:23 PM EST by 3-7INFANTRY]
Looks like you have a fine looking son there.

Sorry that you had to go through that.

Have another Pabst on me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:20:30 PM EST
I had my son stitched up twice.

No IV thankfully. My "trick" was to stay with him the whole time. I had him look me in the eyes and squeeze my hand hard if things started to hurt.

He still remarks to this day on how well it worked. (He's now 27 with a future "stitchee" of his own)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:42:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:44:46 PM EST
Sorry to hear about the stitches. Hope he recovers quickly. I worked in the ER for four years, doing the stitching and IVing. One thing I've noticed, is that if the parents get upset and emotional, so do the kids.(Sometimes they get worked up all on their own though) Sometimes the parents are harder to take care of than the little ones. A lot of times we ask them to leave the room if they get to be too much trouble. Most of the pain you were seeing was emotional fear. Which can be VERY real by the way(I'm not down playing it). The actual physical pain from most minor stitches aren't too bad. I've had a few myself. For example, why is a diabetic able to give themselves an injection with a needle that isn't that much different from a needle used to draw blood, that caused another person to pass out? They probably aren't any tougher, they just don't have the emotional fear. They're used to it.
Sorry to ramble, but don't be too upset. I have a child myself. Kids cry and are emotional, and I know it can tear your heart out to see it. Just be glad you could provide the care he needed. You sticking by him through it all is pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:13:58 PM EST
Good luck (to both of you!)

Had to open an infected cut on my 13 month old daughter's foot. Switched into "duty" mode to deal with it.

Neither her or Mama were any too happy to understand what "debridement" really is.

Glad when she finally cuddled back up..... toe looks much better today, BTW...

Hope he heals up quick.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:21:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 9:22:58 PM EST by Synister1]
Bummer. I'm suprised they didn't just glue it. Just tell him it's his battle scar. Were's the battle scar pics.

My skin's been ripped, torn, sliced, goughed and road burnt.

I have yet to ever get stitches or go see a doc for any of thos incidents. Last time I choped my finder to the bone working on a machine. Took about 10 minutes to get it to stop bleeding.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:54:06 PM EST
When my daughter was about 4, she fell on the sidewalk in San Diego (a clown scared her and she tripped running back to mom & dad) The minute she went down I knew something was wrong - she broke her elbo.

We walked her over to the ER tent (It was a "fair" thing) and they got the ambulance and took her to the hospital - mom riding with her.

When I showed up, they had her in a room, and started asking mom and dad a lot of questions. All the while she's in pain.

After about 3 or 4 hours, they started in on us with the same questions they asked about 5 times before - I knew what they were trying to do, but even though I was ready to bite the head off of the next person wanting to know what happened. They finally got around to fixing her up. but I was Pizzed.

Hope your son is feeling better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:00:19 PM EST
A shot of Ketamine really helps.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:09:27 PM EST
I like working with kids when they come into the ER. We don't have a Ped unit so we don't get many, esp. by ambulance, but it would probably kill me to see the kinds of injuries that kids require an ambulance.

Best of luck to your son.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:25:27 PM EST
I have seen the look on my dads face. Not pretty at all. God forbid one of his children is ever harmed, I don't know what he would do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:38:21 PM EST
I remember the feeling of watching my Son get his first round of stitches .......

But if it's any consolation He's a Boy , and this line is true :

Wounds heal , pain subsides and chicks dig scars
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:12:10 PM EST
When I was 5 yrs old I fell on a rock while playing and got a deep cut on my chin.
My father came and picked me up and took a look and said I would need some stiches.
He took out his black leather bag and gave me a shot to numb my chin area and then stiched me up in few minutes. You see, my father was a vet.
Oh yeah, he also delivered my brother and my sister at home.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:06:22 AM EST
Sorry you both had to go through it. Kids rebound very very quickly though, little guy will be fine by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:36:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By sae057:

I was a handful.

But I bet ya he would say it was worth every minute.

Piccolo?? Betcha he wouldn't.

If he pulls thing like the seeing eye cat as an adult what do you think he was doing when he was younger, immature and had no self-control and no respect for the niceties of a polite society. ? OK let's just say younger then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:49:23 PM EST
Looks like you have a fine looking son there.

Sorry that you had to go through that.

Have another Pabst on me.

+1

Take care Dad.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:48:19 AM EST
You're a good dad when you feel that kind of pain for your children. You stand there helpless, wishing you could take the hurt onto yourself instead. The next time he makes you mad (and the little ones have a way of doing that sometimes), remember this and remember how much you love him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:05:48 AM EST

I was a handful.

My father was a coward and was never, ever around. I would not know him if he walked into this room right now.

THANK YOU! for being a father. God bless you.

I was also a handful and my mother took the brunt of it all. I know from first hand experience that it's better to have a Father and a Mother in the home.
Top Top