Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/28/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
It ain't the best looking squat in history but I'd never had near that much on my back before, so I like it.

In case the video isn't working...  Here's the link

A little background-

40 Years old
Been lifting 11.5 months
15 months ago I was in a wheelchair after an autoimmune attack on my spinal cord caused me to lose function in my lower body.  I was in a wheelchair for about a week, then a walker for two, crutches for a while, cane for months, then walking like a drunk.  It was during the walking like a drunk stage that I started lifting, although I did regress a few times and end up taking a cane to the gym.  I directly attribute strength training to a lot of my recovery, but I think it's primarily because of the nutritional changes I made when I started eating for strength.

My starting and current weights are-

Squat- 3x5@185 to 405x1
Overhead press- 3x5@70 to 170x1
Bench 3x5@125 to 240ish for 1.  I haven't benched in months so I don't know what this is anymore
Dead 1x5@200 to 415 for 1

I've also done a 200lb clean- my goal is yet to get a 300lb clean and 200lb snatch.  I have only managed a 140lb snatch so far, but my technique is awful.

I've gained 30lbs, it looked like all fat for a while then I started losing fat and kept the weight, now I'm losing weight and still getting stronger.  I started at 195lbs and I'm now 225ish, actually 223 yesterday.  Peak weight was right about 230, far heavier than I'd ever been in my life.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I squated 700 something when I was playing JV football. Some guys were benching 400.

But there were also two brothers who strained to bench the bar....... All 35lbs of it

But thats just me being a dick about your achievements........

Seriously tho, sounds like you had some serious shit happen. Glad your on the road to recovery.
Keep at it. Lord knows my fat ass needs to hit the gym n start eating healthier.

Best of luck to you.

Edit: Couldn't watch vid on my phone..... I hope you don't have a pad on that bar. Pads were for reg gym kids.... Off limits to football players and wrestlers but we had special gym classes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did that, in high school. Lol
View Quote

You lost the use of your lower body and a year later squatted 405?  Well below parallel?

wow.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations man, that's awesome!
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You lost the use of your lower body and a year later squatted 405?  Well below parallel?

wow.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wow.

He can't help himself, he's the tallest Napoleon on the internet.

Good job OP.  I was going to say "in before the haters" but I see I'm too late.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's my last warm up set.  Front squatting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a good warm up
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Some people just like to shiat on achievements of others.

Congrats on the PR dude. Keep it up!
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Squatdog?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Thanks!
You gotta be pretty fast in GD to beat the haters and heroes.  But if you make a thread here, especially a brag thread, you'll draw all the retarded comments out.  It's almost like trolling, without even trying.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
impressive, keep up the good work
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
"Hey, SCW.  Can you help me lift this TV?"

"Sorry, bruh.  I'm too sore from weight lifting."

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I can squat the bar AND bench press the bar; without weights on them.

I have genetically skinny legs. Not my fault.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats OP, both on the recovery and on your PR.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Curious OP, what is for diet?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Great work, SCW! That is a great achievement and you should be proud of your hard work.

The highest I squatted was 365lb and I dare not go over 225 anymore. I'm age 42.5 and am trying my best to stay lean as I age.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Yeah.  No doubt this. EFF all the haters.

Good work man. Way to overcome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a hell of a recovery from where you were.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Well done!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Cheers brother, that's some mighty fine work!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to squat heavy but then started to get concerned about my knees.  Now I do more reps with less weight, example: 205lbs 5 sets of 10 reps.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Good job!

I was preparing for you to not go parallel, but you did not disappoint me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Great job!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the nice comments all, it's been an interesting year for sure.  A lot of fun too.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Everything.  When I started lifting I began by just keeping track of my existing diet to see what I was getting, it was an average of 1500-1800 calories per day with about half of that carbs.  I had to learn how to eat, it was really hard for me to work up to 3-4,000 calories every day, and keep the carbs to 200 or so (carbs are important for muscle building I learned).  Simply stated, I was nearly starving on my previous diet.  For the last 5 years or so every time I got the flu (every year) it would end up in an infection of my spinal cord, although the one last year was the worst one.  It's been a pretty tough few years, but the last one has been by far the best for health.

Quoted:
Great work, SCW! That is a great achievement and you should be proud of your hard work.

The highest I squatted was 365lb and I dare not go over 225 anymore. I'm age 42.5 and am trying my best to stay lean as I age.

I was tipping over a lot when I started, 225 was pretty spooky for me because I'd lost balance on lower weights so many times.  That's not really much of an issue anymore, but at 40.5yrs old I don't think I'm going to really try to get much higher on my squat, it's just not worth it to me.  Hitting 405 in 12 months was the goal, but now I'm not really after 500lbs.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Yeah.  No doubt this. EFF all the haters.

Good work man. Way to overcome.

Thanks, it's GD.  If you don't have a thick skin here you shouldn't be posting.  Frankly I wish it was a little rougher sometimes, but that CoC keeps things pretty mild.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good job!

I was preparing for you to not go parallel, but you did not disappoint me.
View Quote

Almost got stuck though!  I have a hard time staying tight at the bottom, so I get stuck in the hole a lot.  I've been working on it, frequently my first rep gets stuck like that and the second pops right out, but I wasn't going to try another rep today!

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Do you even lift.... brah?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#30]
My only criticism is your deadlift should be more than 10lbs more than your squat.

Great job though!  I have a lot of trouble getting it through people's heads in my gym that strength training is important.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My only criticism is your deadlift should be more than 10lbs more than your squat.

Great job though!  I have a lot of trouble getting it through people's heads in my gym that strength training is important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't actually know my max deadlift, but that the most I've actually pulled some months ago.  I don't usually test my max, just get some reps below max and make sure I'm progressing.  I figure I don't have a lot to gain by being near max, only more risk.  

Also, I had a coach tell me on my cleans that I was back dominant, so rather than reinforcing that I decided to focus on the squats to sorta balance out my muscle utilization on the clean and snatch.

Quoted:
Awesome. Congratulations!!  

Thanks!  As I recall, you were making excuses last time we had a pointless brag thread like this...  

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
good deal, OP.

you posted about your medical issues, right? I seem to remember the attack and wheelchair story.

I've never been a big squatter for heavy weight. I used to do a 15 minute strength and conditioning squat workout that was brutal. It was a great complement to my cycling performance.

a buddy of mine in UT was a natural squat guy. He weighed around 220, and would hammer out 10-rep sets with 405. I saw him get 500 pounds for 3 solid reps once.
fucker.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to squat heavy but then started to get concerned about my knees.  Now I do more reps with less weight, example: 205lbs 5 sets of 10 reps.
View Quote

People are going to tell you otherwise shortly.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

I was going to post that it seems more like a bench goal than a squat goal.   But yeah if you were just in a wheelchair basically a year ago.   Props to you bud!!!    Nice work!!   Keep it up!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Well done, OP.

And bonus points for lifting despite a Blondie soundtrack.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you a girl?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Good lift man.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are you a girl?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a girl?

Thats neither heavy weight or high reps
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessarily. Some people are built different.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was going to post that it seems more like a bench goal than a squat goal.   But yeah if you were just in a wheelchair basically a year ago.   Props to you bud!!!    Nice work!!   Keep it up!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Post up your 4 plate bench...or your 4 plate squat
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Always has to be a douche in a thread like this.  Congratulations for your
accomplishment.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool man!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
That's awesome!  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#46]
That's awesome. Anything over 300 buries me at this point.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Damn good thing you didn't post that then, because it sounds ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Congrats bro. That takes some serious work. I've been lifting 2 years now and I still suck balls at squatting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I have never squatted that.  Too much for me.

Good on you op.  Keep up the good work and know when to back off and let things heal.  Squatting is serious lifting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i was in the same boat,  went to knee-oprene wraps and havnt looked back..   incredible difference in form and feel..  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top