Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 9:59:03 PM EDT
Never would I have thought I would do such a thing.  Bought a XLR Carbon Chassis with their folding mechanism and a 5 round AICS mag for my Savage Hog Hunter.

7 week wait.  Motherfucker better be as good as everything I've read about it.

Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
For me $1200 better be a full rifle with scope, pod and some ammo Hope it works great for you.  Looks nice as hell that's for sure.

Eta. Why did it hot link that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Then you probably should be sitting down when he tells us about his scope and rings!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the element to avoid having the tube.

It's fantastic! Can't say enough good things about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then you probably should be sitting down when he tells us about his scope and rings!
View Quote

BSA Sweet 22?

Serious question:  Why something like that over a "traditional" stock like a McMillan A-series?  I'm guessing the rail lets you add NV/thermal?  EDIT: or an AICS for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had the money for it, and a Remington 700, I'd fo on that.

Be sure to give an AAR in a couple months when you get it!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I get that it might be the kitty's titties,

but for that kind of cash they look so... uh... unrefined. Congrats on the purchase nonetheless

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
No way.

Why not just go all the way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel your pain OP.  I spent a stupid amount of money on a stock/chassis also.  I can't say it was worth every penny, but it's pretty close.  It's like a whole new rifle, and my long(er) range accuracy and groups shrunk considerably.  More than I had expected.

Enjoy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like mine, but I got the lower priced one. Absolutely love it, and if I could go back in time, I'd order it again. My .30-06 build:

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22?

Serious question:  Why something like that over a "traditional" stock like a McMillan A-series?  I'm guessing the rail lets you add NV/thermal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22?

Serious question:  Why something like that over a "traditional" stock like a McMillan A-series?  I'm guessing the rail lets you add NV/thermal?

Ergos, personal preferences, ect? I just bought a fancyish Rem 700 in a HS Precision stock and ain't a fan of the way it feels. Great gun, great stock, but still not a huge fan. As soon as I ditch my AK, I'm ordering a foliage green "hunting" Eliseo chassis they're just smexy IMO but I'm not a fan of the XLR though..

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Your money your rules! I like it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I know how you feel, I dropped nearly $1k a few years back on an AICS 2.0.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been tossing back and forth between this and a the KRG HABU. The Habu is over the double price, but it is sexy as hell. However, due to the price I will probably end up with the XLR and a Carbon fiber barrel from Proof on my next 6.5mm Creedmoore build.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I won't ever know the feeling, post up a pic of the gun as it sits OP.   What distance do you shoot?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm using a McRees.  I liked the XLR, but could not justify the added $.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Tactical stocks have been going 'full retard' for a few years now.

~$1100 is now about the going rate.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I know your pain OP.  I just impulse purchased an AI AE MKIII Covert a couple weeks ago.      At least it came with a can and spare barrel :-)

Those chassis always interested me before though but damn chassis are $$$.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]
There are several companies making similar chassis, why did you settle on that one?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I feel your pain OP.  I spent a stupid amount of money on a stock/chassis also.  I can't say it was worth every penny, but it's pretty close.  It's like a whole new rifle, and my long(er) range accuracy and groups shrunk considerably.  More than I had expected.

Enjoy.

http://i.imgur.com/kGL3iaX.jpg

View Quote

I'd probably have looked at that one a lot more if it were available for Savage's.

Nice stick and that looks like a great place to shoot!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a used 1.5 years ago on a LTR.  Something about AICS's I just don't like.  Ended up selling it for a profit though, so that was nice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I won't ever know the feeling, post up a pic of the gun as it sits OP.   What distance do you shoot?
View Quote

Working my way back up to 1k.  The range I just joined has a 1250 berm.  If I wear the barrel out on this I'll rebarrel it for something .308 based that will reach 1250, maybe .260?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#24]
sweet maybe ill pick it up off you in the EE in about 6 months for 1/2 price
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are several companies making similar chassis, why did you settle on that one?
View Quote

Looks, reviews, weight, and features.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
sweet maybe ill pick it up off you in the EE in about 6 months for 1/2 price
View Quote

Do I know you in real life?  Because it sounds like you know my MO...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22?

Serious question:  Why something like that over a "traditional" stock like a McMillan A-series?  I'm guessing the rail lets you add NV/thermal?  EDIT: or an AICS for that matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22?

The rifle in my avatar had a McMillan A5 with their "Sniper Fill" and adjustable cheek piece.  I had it inlet for a Badger M5 DBM and it was bedded for that action.  I had over $1000 in it and I had to wait 6 months for the stock.  It weighed 2 pounds more than the XLR and wasn't anywhere near as ergonomic as the XLR is supposed to be.

I like the McM A-series stuff, but there are more modern options now that have more features built into them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Ya'll got some shit that is way above my paygrade...

Please keep the pics coming
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a used 1.5 years ago on a LTR. Something about AICS's I just don't like. Ended up selling it for a profit though, so that was nice.
View Quote

I love mine, although I will admit I don't use the folding feature very much.  In fact, I would probably have been fine with a non-folder.  The AICS fits me perfect, though, but I do like the XLR and similar chassis systems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like mine, but I got the lower priced one. Absolutely love it, and if I could go back in time, I'd order it again. My .30-06 build:

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/RocketmanOU/IMG_20150613_090218760-2%20-%20Copy_zpsw3amwfot.jpg
View Quote

I'm waiting on mine as well.  Just out of curiosity what height rings are you using?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm waiting on mine as well.  Just out of curiosity what height rings are you using?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/RocketmanOU/IMG_20150613_090218760-2%20-%20Copy_zpsw3amwfot.jpg

Valdada mediums
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#32]
rem 700 .308
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice! Those are good stocks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22?

They're A LOT lighter than either of those.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#36]
that would feed me for six months....  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I have one on my savage that I shot in the PRS my first year.  Its a good chassis.  Still some things I miss about it.  I really miss the long forearm and the way it allowed me to shoot barricades.  Been thinking about getting a new one to replace the McMillon A5 on my current match rifle.

Mine was the first lefty savage that he ever made.  Might still be the only one.

eta:  there is an adjustable butt pad that they sell at cabellas that will replace the one that comes with it.  I hated that soft foam rubber one that it came with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Nice looking sticks.  Especially like the XLR of course.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That I could see doing, not for the other stuff that's being mentioned in here. I'm not a fan of the cheap, flimsy looking stuff. AICS is the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I could see doing, not for the other stuff that's being mentioned in here. I'm not a fan of the cheap, flimsy looking stuff. AICS is the way to go.

Honest question here:  what about the XLR chassis in the OP, which is made from aluminum billet and carbon fiber, seems cheap or flimsy compared to the plastic of the AICS?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have one on my savage that I shot in the PRS my first year.  Its a good chassis.  Still some things I miss about it.  I really miss the long forearm and the way it allowed me to shoot barricades.  Been thinking about getting a new one to replace the McMillon A5 on my current match rifle.

Mine was the first lefty savage that he ever made.  Might still be the only one.

eta:  there is an adjustable butt pad that they sell at cabellas that will replace the one that comes with it.  I hated that soft foam rubber one that it came with.
View Quote

Why'd you get rid of the XLR?  What, specifically, do you miss about it and what don't you miss about it?

Have a link to that butt pad?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Honest question here:  what about the XLR chassis in the OP, which is made from aluminum billet and carbon fiber, seems cheap or flimsy compared to the plastic of the AICS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak to the AICS, but I like the XLR that I have, specifically because it is a very stout design, and was adjustable enough to make me (6', 230 lbs) very comfortable on it. It is most certainly more stout than a standard AR assembly, and I don't see me banging around with my bolt gun more roughly than I do my ARs, but I'm not parachuting into Baghdad anytime soon, either.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I want one pretty bad but just cannot justify the cost over my bedded B&C medalist. 250$+ some epoxy, foam, duct tape and I have a perfectly fitted nail driver. My rifle doesn't look very tacticool though  Now If I had NV or a need for a monopod than maybe I could talk myself into one.  I'm a cheap bastard
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I want one pretty bad but just cannot justify the cost over my bedded B&C medalist. 250$+ some epoxy, foam, duct tape and I have a perfectly fitted nail driver. My rifle doesn't look very tacticool though  Now If I had NV or a need for a monopod than maybe I could talk myself into one.  I'm a cheap bastard
View Quote

Still have my Savage 12FV in a B&C Medalist. Very comfortable rifle to shoot, for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top