Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/20/2004 3:16:20 PM EST
And they dont know why. I have some fairly sharp abdominal pain, for no reason it seems. CT scans, X-rays and ultrasounds all show normal... The biggest problem is that I still hurt. Shitty month for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:19:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:20:59 PM EST
that sucks. I hope you feel better soon...before you get the $12K hospital bill
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:24:21 PM EST
Damn, I hope you feel better and they find out what's wrong.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:27:01 PM EST
I just went thru 5 days of pain in my upper mid section and dont know what it was. I thought it was food related but eating or not had no effect on the pain. It was a sharp pain a few times an hour. It went away today and now I feel fine.

Hope you get better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:29:42 PM EST
Watch for Alien heads exploding out of your abdomen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:32:54 PM EST
Good luck, and I mean it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:36:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:41:02 PM EST
I had a woman in yesterday at the hospital who had similar problems. She's been having them for a long time now. Endoscope, CT, x-rays, small bowel series, etc. have shown nothing. So we did a Barium Enema (yummy!) and it showed some definite diverticula in the large intestine. Probably the cause of her discomfort.

They may have you coming back in soon for the Barium Enema - always fun
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:48:03 PM EST
You ate at the Chinese BUffet again didn't you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:00:41 PM EST
Damn, that sucks. Hope everything works ouit for you.

OTOH:

Grab a newspaper, and head to the Ferguson!

Be like Al.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:12:23 PM EST
Had something similar not long ago. Had an upper GI series with all the Ba+ swallowing shit and standing on your head to get it to flow through. Complained to the MD about lower intestinal burning and he ordered an upper GI series. Was prepared for the big "Down scope, Ugguh! Ugguh! dive dive!" order but he ordered an upper GI series for lower GI series complaints.

Been there, done that, didn't even get the T-shirt for it.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:35:02 PM EST
Yeah had the small bowel series done as well as the colonoscopy. That barium tastes like shit... They also pumped my stomach and when they tried to put the tube down (up?) my nose it wouldnt go, so they tried to force it. THEN they asked me if I have ever had a broken nose, GRRRRR. I about punched the nurse out it hurt so bad. They pulled about 7 inches of tube out of my nose and it was coated with blood. I was blowing huge blood clots out of my nose for hours.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:36:45 PM EST
Jesus, Black Dog - that was so unprofessional. I hate it when I see shit like that at the Hospital.

I wish general practitioners would LISTEN to their patients.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:43:16 PM EST
I had some intense pain in my abdomen last year. My looking around the internet had me convinced that I had a gallbladder malady. Then I read the particulars on the VIOXX that I had been taking everyday for a few weeks. Yup! It was causing sever abdominal pain. So bad that I had to leave work twice in two weeks. No more VIOXX=no more pain. Get a good checkup and tell your doctor EVERYTHING!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:45:27 PM EST
Damn!

I feel for you brother.

You will be in my prayers.

SGStar15
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:11:26 PM EST
This spring I had a stone stuck in my bile duct. If you have ever had gall bladder disease, the pain is in the same, identical location [even with the top of your stomach, biased from just right of center over to the liver]. My internist didn't have a clue and wouldn't listen to my proposal that maybe this was the problem [my gall bladder was removed in 1995]. My symptoms were fairly mild and intermittent at first, but I was jaundiced, chilled, and had a couple of other symptoms that I will spare you when I went into the hospital.

I had 2 CT scans, 3 ultrasounds, and 2 or 3 conventional xrays that didn't show the blockage, partly because the inflamation obscured the images. The stone and its location were positively identified when the interventional radiologists got involved and installed a catheter that extended through the top of my liver, through the bile duct and blockage, and into the small intestine. With dye injected, the liver, bile duct, common bile duct, and entrance to the small intestine could be nicely imaged with x-ray.

The rest of the story - the first hospital attemped to remove the stone with an endoscope; the doc got the wire into the pancreatic duct, causing a grand case of pancreatitis. This put Hospital 1 in over their heads and they transferred me to another during my 3rd day. Ended up in the hospital for 10 days (no food for the first wek), 3 more weeks with a 2 way drain tube poking out of my side (my "Borg" period, excellent for grossing the kids out!), and 5 more days with a one way drain. Most of May, all of June, and the first part of July were total loss and I'm still catching up.

What I learned from this is that ice can be your friend and tastes pretty darn good when that is all you can get. Morphine is also your friend, but not for long enough periods. Percoset is not my friend, it makes me hallucinate. This is also the first time a doctor truly shook me up with his litany of the bad things that could happen if they didn't get my liver and pancreas sorted out, quickly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:58:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By BlackDog714:
Yeah had the small bowel series done as well as the colonoscopy. That barium tastes like shit... They also pumped my stomach and when they tried to put the tube down (up?) my nose it wouldnt go, so they tried to force it. THEN they asked me if I have ever had a broken nose, GRRRRR. I about punched the nurse out it hurt so bad. They pulled about 7 inches of tube out of my nose and it was coated with blood. I was blowing huge blood clots out of my nose for hours.

I would have came up swinging!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:28:17 PM EST
I have been having some of the same pains, (Probably not as bad as yours) But it makes my BP shoot up high. My Dr. said I have Irritable Bowel Syn drum!
It all stems form stress, and acid reflux.

Sure hurts like a contraband pumpkin.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:24:30 PM EST
Well, I'll be out of work for another week (at least) doped up on Oxicontin (sp?). All in all, I'd rather be at work feeling fine. The Doc's say I'm an enigma. Gee, great. Oh yeah, they say it might be Crohn's Disease.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:38:07 PM EST

Well, I'll be out of work for another week (at least) doped up on Oxicontin (sp?). All in all, I'd rather be at work feeling fine. The Doc's say I'm an enigma. Gee, great. Oh yeah, they say it might be Crohn's Disease.

Sorry to hear about this. I know how it is when doctors don't listen. I've been fighting them for years to help with my health problems.

Oh, I'll be the first to say, be careful with the OxyContins. Just like any opioid, you'll get hooked real fast if not careful.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:39:09 PM EST

And they dont know why. I have some fairly sharp abdominal pain, for no reason it seems. CT scans, X-rays and ultrasounds all show normal... The biggest problem is that I still hurt. Shitty month for me.

I had pancreatitis four years ago. It started with a sharp abdominal pain. Over a four month period I was in and out of the hospital. Spent four weeks over that four months hospitalized. They finally had to perform surgery.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:56:49 PM EST
The week I moved into my first house, I noticed some mild abdominal pain, like you get when you ate something really nasty and you have a violent trip to the crapper in the very near future. But this wasn't temporary; it stuck around for a few days in exactly the same spot. I finally visited a clinic where the doc told me that if it got worse I should go to the hospital. Next day I get a gunsafe delivered, and I'm helping these guys move this 800 lb. box around the new house. We're all busting ass trying to get the safe over a threshold (it was on a furniture dolly) and this pain reaches new heights. Well, here I am having a celebratory beer with the gunsafe mover guys with my gut feeling like somebody wound up and took a swing at me with a shovel. I must've been white as a ghost. They left, I considered eating long enough to throw something in the microwave, and when I pulled it out I almost barfed. Drove self to hospital where I remained for the next week: DIVERTICULITIS. Had barium enema, segmoidoscopy, and all sorts of med students looking for experience going in the out door. Even a female doc, who was upfront ("I'm a student"), who did not get the pleasure of sticking her finger up my ass. Should've asked if it could be reciprocal. Anyway, at this point I live with it, and occasionally get a flareup (2-5 days of abdominal discomfort). But surgically, they talked about removing 6" of my large intestine, which if things went really bad could leave me unable to control my bowels.

Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:46:58 PM EST
You offering?

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Have you had a full rectal exam done?

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:47:56 PM EST
I hope someone figures out WTF is up with you.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:03:33 AM EST
Dcotors are just lawyers with a taste for blood.

Evil profession I tell you.....evil...

Sorry Ed

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:13:57 AM EST
That fucking sucks when they tell you to leave with no idea what is wrong with you..
Hope you feel better!!
Top Top