Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2002 8:55:58 PM EDT
WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!

My spouse talked about it, and I signed up for High-Speed cable access.  YESSSSS!!!!

I am too excited.  Now just to get it installed, and I am on my way.  

Now, I have a few questions for the computer gurus:

Should I get a software firewall, or is the hardware firewall provided sufficient?

I use McAfee Virus protection, which also has Guardian.  Is this sufficient Virus protection?  It is the latest version.

If anyone has any input, thanks in advance.

AZTrooper
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!

My spouse talked about it, and I signed up for High-Speed cable access.  YESSSSS!!!!

I am too excited.  Now just to get it installed, and I am on my way.  

Now, I have a few questions for the computer gurus:

Should I get a software firewall, or is the hardware firewall provided sufficient?

I use McAfee Virus protection, which also has Guardian.  Is this sufficient Virus protection?  It is the latest version.

If anyone has any input, thanks in advance.

AZTrooper
View Quote

Virus Protection even without h/s access.

I am of the persuation that thinks that s/w based firewalls are worth what you paid for them.

I suggest a hardware firewall between you and your cable modem.  Not only protection from the 'net, but more flexibity of use if you decide to add more computers that will use the same cable connection.  Most cable modems do not provide firewall services.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I do work for a networking equipment manufacturer.  I won't say whom, but they are pricy.

I can make some suggestions, if you like, shoot me an email.  I won't steer an AZ Trooper wrong.

-Ray
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Paul regarding the suspenders and a belt design with both a s/w and h/w firewall.  Zone Alarm does make a solid product and the updates are easy.

The cheapo firewalls do not allow for config changes, as he stated, are set at the factory.  Most of these do nothing more than Network Address Translation (NAT) and/or Port Address Translation (PAT).  IME, that does not make it a firewall, not matter what the packaging states.

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Unlike cable TV, one taste of Broadband and you will be hooked. You will never settle for a dialup connection again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I use ZoneAlarm Pro and McAfee Guardian depending on which OS I boot to. Guardian does a pretty good job but suffers from some poorly written code - if forgets it's settings each time I reboot. There's a patch available but it wasn't easy to find and I had to go though a bunch of emails to get the link. ZoneAlarm is a good product.
View Quote

Can you post the link?  I use Guardian.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
WEll all signed up and set up.

Bought a SMC Router, so I can hook my desktop and laptop up.  

Looks good, is good.

Man, I love the speed on this thing.

Thanks for the advice on the hardware and software.  I feel safER now.  

Thanks Again

AZtrooper
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the routers have NAT and stateful packet inspection. Isn't that fairly good for a couple hundred bucks?

I would still use Zone Alarm with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Now you can join the world of online gaming!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I had Roadrunner out in San Diego when it first was avalible in 1997.
It was nice, but not worth the money.
Dial-up is enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Get yourself at DSLReports.com and sign up at one of the BroadBand Forums from your company. You can find fellow cable modem users who can help you or tell you of their experince with the cable in your area. I have the SMC 7004ABR router and just upgraded the firmware. My new firmware allows me to transfer files over MSN, AIM and do voice since it has UPnP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone.  My Router is an SMC7004VBR

I don't know if the firmware is upgradeable, but I will check.

Using that plus McAfee Firewall plus Guardian should provide me with some protection.

Thanks again.

AZTrooper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top