Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2011 2:05:15 PM EDT
I think my priorities in life have changed. When you met your wife/GF did your priorities change?

I used to think about how I could get a job to make money to blow on guns and my hobbies, spend it all on me. Lately I've been thinking I need to be more responsible with my money. Start saving for a house, getting a retirement account set up, save a few months salary for a rainy day, set up a will just in case. Get financially secure, get ready for a real life and a family of my own. Not to say that I'm giving up my guns or my hobbies, because I won't. I just think I need to be prepared for "us". Even if it isn't with the girl I'm with now, which I hope it is.

Now I'm not planning on getting married any time soon, thats a few years off at best, just this nagging thought that I need to get prepared. Did any of you guys feel this way?

Maybe this is what growing up is like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think my priorities in life have changed. When you met your wife/GF did your priorities change?

I used to think about how I could get a job to make money to blow on guns and my hobbies, spend it all on me. Lately I've been thinking I need to be more responsible with my money. Start saving for a house, getting a retirement account set up, save a few months salary for a rainy day, set up a will just in case. Get financially secure, get ready for a real life and a family of my own. Not to say that I'm giving up my guns or my hobbies, because I won't. I just think I need to be prepared for "us". Even if it isn't with the girl I'm with now, which I hope it is.

Now I'm not planning on getting married any time soon, thats a few years off at best, just this nagging thought that I need to get prepared. Did any of you guys feel this way?

Eject, its only gonna get worse
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to conservatism!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine started in 2008 when my then-GF was itching to get out of her parent's house and into a place of her own.

We went and looked at a log cabin in the woods on about 4 acres. She didn't end up with house, but it put me to thinking.

Right about then, I realized that I no longer wanted to live in a subdivision, I wanted to live on a piece of property big enough that I don't have to look at neighbors and I wanted a detached workshop to work on the two 60's era Mustangs that are stuffed in my garage waiting to be rebuilt.

We got married in 2010, now living in my house (which is paid for) and saving for a good-sized down payment for our dream house/property.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eject, its only gonna get worse

Haha, she never asks me for anything and has never mentioned money.

I'm just thinking I should get prepared if I'm going to have an adult life and share it with someone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You will never have enough money. Understand that now and you will not be disappointed when you get a family. There will ALWAYS be something to spend it on.  Be it wife, kids, hobby, retirement, vacation, house, car, shoes, food, braces, etc,...you will find a place to use it.  ALL OF IT.  What you are experiencing now is called growing up.  Get used to others utilizing the fruits of your labor, as this is called Manhood.  Welcome to the club.

ETA:  You will eventually turn full circle and once again want more stuff for yourself, but you will deny that desire.  This is called Bitter Manhood.  Which is better than the alternative, divorced.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My priorities of buying cool stuff (guns, etc) never changed, but what did was the amount of money I had available to spend on the aforementioned cool stuff
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My progression:

Pre marriage:  Make money, spend money on hobbies, put money away for long term retirement.

During marriage:  Support a wife who has massive debt and no earning potential.  Hate myself.  

During divorce:  OMFG everything I have worked for is going up in flames.  Bank account vanishes before my eyes.

Post divorce:  Contract BRD AND the prepping bug.  10 years younger girlfriend means plenty of time to get my finances rebuilt properly.  Keep prepping.  Try to prepare for the impending doom that will happen when the fed crashes due to massive debt and inflation out of control.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, you better hurry and get all your toys now, because your old lady will put a stop to that shit about 2 seconds after the "I do".

and make sure she understands that your fun stuff won't be available to be sold to buy her furniture.

it's every man for himself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
real life blows dude... every time I mail out a bill I open the mail box to find another one of those bastards staring at me... get ready ASAP and practice good money skills (dont blow it on shit like eating out and junk) and youll be fine
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, you better hurry and get all your toys now, because your old lady will put a stop to that shit and the BJ's about 2 seconds after the "I do".

and make sure she understands that your fun stuff won't be available to be sold to buy her furniture.Yeah I went from a new bike every year to a underpowered girls bike..

it's every man for himself.

Fixed..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top