Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2004 6:43:41 PM EDT
I know this is a gun board, but some of you here have responded to my boardname and expressed interest in my "other" hobby. Well, I got the bug again big time and am going all out. She's a 35% scale model of the Extra 300. It's an unlimited aerobatic aircraft.

2.6 meter or 102 inch wingspan that's 8.5 feet. Fuselage is 89 inches long almost 7.5 feet. Shes big.

www.composite-arf.com/ar/Product?313000

It requires a 100 cc/6.10 cu.in. twin cylinder gas/oil burning two stroke engine. It develops 10.4 hp at the prop with the tuned exhaust I'll be using. Spins a 28 inch diameter x 10 inch pitch carbon fiber prop at about 6600 rpm which is about 55-65 puonds of static thrust. Some of you may recognize that this is over a 2 to 1 power to weight ratio!    She'll hover/hang on the prop vertically and accelerate out of the hover vertically till she runs out of air at less than full throttle. You CANNOT fly her straight and level at full throttle cuz she'll rip the wings off.

www.desertaircraft.com/engines_detail.php?Page=DA-100

9 servos

I'm using the Duralite Powerbox 40/24 SC-12 battery management system with the servo travel programming built in. Very reliable, balanced and regulated power to each individual servo.
www.duralitebatteries.com/accessories.html

Cost?

Ready to fly, about 6 basic out of the box Bushmaster 20" AR's.................

Check out the videos on this page. Turn up the speakers!  

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a gun board??
Huh..

Nice planes...how hard are they to learn to fly??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.....bit pricey, but cool.

Enjoy it!

Monty
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
schweeeeeeet
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Moving target practice? J/K looks spiffy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
How the hell do you fit in that thing???
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Moving target practice? J/K looks spiffy.

THAT is a great idea.

Bring it to gunstock!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It is for infants.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is for infants.  

Well, he definitely needs some kind of test pilot.  How do you feel about cats?
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is for infants.  

No but there are pics on the net of people putting their infants in the cockpit just for giggles. NOT flying with them in there.

These planes are fully capable of executing and surviving 20G maneuvers routinely.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is for infants.  

Well, he definitely needs some kind of test pilot.  How do you feel about cats?

here, kitty, kitty, kitty...........

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
That is cool. I don't want to know any more though. I have enough hobbies and that looks like another expensive addiction.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]
That is so cool looking! I'm not trying to be rude, but what does one cost? I guessed at least 3K.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Imagine the insane video you could get by strapping a small video camera to that. That would be cool as hell.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
another vote for a cat in the bombay
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was in high school, and before I was ever into guns like I am now, I always thought it would be neat as hell to put a rifle inside one of those model planes.  Imagine an AR-15 semi-auto in one of those with an extra servo rigged to the trigger.  I wonder if that would be legal??
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#18]
That's awesome!

Now put a remote video system on it ,like one of these.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
That's cool!  Good luck with your new plane!

+1 for the kitty

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive always wanted one of those but ive always been afraid it would crash. Flyin is one thing. landing is another ballgame.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is a gun board??
Huh..

Nice planes...how hard are they to learn to fly??

Sgtar15

According to some FAA licensed pilots that play with these that I've talked to, the models are a lot harder to fly!
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]
THAT is absolutely high speed, low drag man!

A fraternity brother of mine flew ducted fan jets.   Talk about expensive.  He had two or three F16 models, I don't remember the scale, but the Nitro engines spun a wicked looking fan at something like 18,000RMP and it was fast as a mother.   I watched him fly the planes a number of times, and was always amazed.  It  went so fast, I'm not sure how he could fly it.    I could fly a "trainer" pretty well, but did crash occasionally.  

Unfortuantely, my buddy had a vibration induced radio failure on board of one of them.   It wasn't a "range" thing -- the damn thing just quit responding to the radio as he was pulling out of a high altitude dive.  (We watched it plunge about 200 feet after he lost control).  Seeing $5000 worth of hand-painted fiberglass plane and parts hit the ground at over 100MPH is a heartbreaker to be sure.  (It even left a crater -- nothing left).  

Hell of a hobby, but I'd crash too much to make it worthwhile.

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When I was in high school, and before I was ever into guns like I am now, I always thought it would be neat as hell to put a rifle inside one of those model planes.  Imagine an AR-15 semi-auto in one of those with an extra servo rigged to the trigger.  I wonder if that would be legal??

no but if they dont cach you......

(beter with two MP5's in the wings and add video cams so you can fly it around your yard and spy on people)
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
+1 for the kitty

I've seen his dog.  I don't think he could keep a cat around long enough to put it in the plane.  

Hey jethead I think I saw you driving your truck this evening...

Nice plane!  Enjoy!  Just curious - where does one fly such things?

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I always wanted to put bottlerockets under the wings with those electric rocket engine ignitors attached to the servo power.  It'd be like WWII or Vietnam rockets on the prop planes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Kick ass man! I need to get back into the hobby.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup.  That second pic puts it all into perspective! :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Jesus,

Thats big, looks like alot of fun but i would hate to land one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
THAT is absolutely high speed, low drag man!

A fraternity brother of mine flew ducted fan jets. Talk about expensive.

$2000-$20,000 rolling down the runway  

He had two or three F16 models, I don't remember the scale, but the Nitro engines spun a wicked looking fan at something like 18,000RPM 28,000 RPM and it was fast as a mother.

Fixed that for ya! 269 mph is the fastest recorded ducted fan powered flight.

There are real minature turbines for them now and the top speed is over 300 mph, but has been limited to 200 mph by the AMA for "safety" reasons.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 for the kitty

I've seen his dog.  I don't think he could keep a cat around long enough to put it in the plane.  

Hey jethead I think I saw you driving your truck this evening...

Oh, crap, I was driving around headbanging to Rage Against the Machine this afternoon......

Nice plane!  Enjoy!  Just curious - where does one fly such things?

We have a flying field with a paved runway in Newport News park, another place is Fentress NALF, there are a few around here.

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Jesus,

Thats big, looks like alot of fun but i would hate to land one.

The bigger they are the easier they are to fly/land. This one has a stall speed of like 20 mph, with a little practice you can literally grease it in.

Did you guy's check out the videos? I posted the link at the bottom of my opening post.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
BFMJET...

Holy crap, those videos are awesome.

I didn't realize there were now REAL TURBINE engines.   Those  make the ducted fan rigs my buddy had look positively snail-like.  

How fast do those turbine engine models go?  What's the thrust on one of those things?  What kind of materials do you have to use to deal with the exhaust temperatures and pressures.

Effing awesome!
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
BFMJET...

Holy crap, those videos are awesome.

I didn't realize there were now REAL TURBINE engines.

Yup, run on real JetA fuel too, little bit of real turbine oil mixed in to help cool the ceramic hybrid bearings.  

Those  make the ducted fan rigs my buddy had look positively snail-like.  

How fast do those turbine engine models go?

Most are capable of speeds in excess of 300 mph, but are limited to 200 mph by the AMA..........unless of course you just don't fly them at an AMA sanctioned flying field.

What's the thrust on one of those things?

They have minature turbines FOR MODELS with anywhere from 16 lbs to 150 lbs of static thrust. Idle is typically 18,000 RPM with about 1 pound of thrust up to about 180,000 RPM at full rated thrust. Funny thing is the larger ones top RPM is ALOT slower than the smallest ones.

What kind of materials do you have to use to deal with the exhaust temperatures and pressures.

Double walled stainless steel pipes, a paintable ceramic heat shield and thin ceramic blankets.

Check this out.........www.bvmjets.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump for the daytime crowd.......
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is for infants.  

No but there are pics on the net of people putting their infants in the cockpit just for giggles. NOT flying with them in there.

These planes are fulil capable of executing and surviving 20G maneuvers routinely.

AND, not stalling!  I watched a couple of those vids.  Stall?  What's a stall?  You mean when the wings quit and it hangs from the prop!
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#37]
i'm envious. open areas to fly up my way are getting harder and harder to find. our club lost its flying field a year and a half ago. the town wanted a park.
we've effectiveley disbanded as we couldn't find another place to fly. i know i have less than 3 hours since then.
so,what's it gonna be.....another 2, or is it 3 years before you're in the tournament of champions?
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i'm envious. open areas to fly up my way are getting harder and harder to find. our club lost its flying field a year and a half ago. the town wanted a park.
we've effectiveley disbanded as we couldn't find another place to fly. i know i have less than 3 hours since then.
so,what's it gonna be.....another 2, or is it 3 years before you're in the tournament of champions?

I don't think I'll ever make it to T.O.C. Not that I'd not like to, but I have a business to run and it would be tough to find the time to practice enough, then in addition to that the time to travel to the events necessary to get your name out there. Without a name it's hard to get the invite to the T.O.C.

Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I know this is a gun board, but some of you here have responded to my boardname and expressed interest in my "other" hobby. Well, I got the bug again big time and am going all out. She's a 35% scale model of the Extra 300. It's an unlimited aerobatic aircraft.

www.composite-arf.com/arf/images/1045817063746-galery.pic.jpg

2.6 meter or 102 inch wingspan that's 8.5 feet. Fuselage is 89 inches long almost 7.5 feet. Shes big.

www.composite-arf.com/arf/images/1045816608839-size_check.jpg

www.composite-arf.com/ar/Product?313000

It requires a 100 cc/6.10 cu.in. twin cylinder gas/oil burning two stroke engine. It develops 10.4 hp at the prop with the tuned exhaust I'll be using. Spins a 28 inch diameter x 10 inch pitch carbon fiber prop at about 6600 rpm which is about 55-65 puonds of static thrust. Some of you may recognize that this is over a 2 to 1 power to weight ratio!    She'll hover/hang on the prop vertically and accelerate out of the hover vertically till she runs out of air at less than full throttle. You CANNOT fly her straight and level at full throttle cuz she'll rip the wings off.

www.desertaircraft.com/engines_detail.php?Page=DA-100

9 servos

I'm using the Duralite Powerbox 40/24 SC-12 battery management system with the servo travel programming built in. Very reliable, balanced and regulated power to each individual servo.
www.duralitebatteries.com/accessories.html

Cost?

Ready to fly, about 6 basic out of the box Bushmaster 20" AR's.................

Check out the videos on this page. Turn up the speakers!  

Way sweet,.

ever thinkabout doing up an F117 or a raptor model?
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I've seen those twin jet engin one for 20 grand. Those this cost alot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#41]
The G forces that thing would subject an AR to would cause jams, which leads me to suggest an AK. But then those same G forces might bend the crappy ass sheet metal reciever of an AK.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#42]

They have minature turbines FOR MODELS with anywhere from 16 lbs to 150 lbs of static thrust. Idle is typically 18,000 RPM with about 1 pound of thrust up to about 180,000 RPM at full rated thrust. Funny thing is the larger ones top RPM is ALOT slower than the smallest ones.

Christ you could make yer own freaking cruise missle with one of those probably!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
schweeeeeeet

+1

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Funny thing is the larger ones top RPM is ALOT slower than the smallest ones.

This is because the larger ones are moving a lot more air from the increased blade surface area thus requiring less rpm to achieve much greater thrust than that of the smaller turbines.  Besides, you don't want your blade tips going supersonic as they would on the longer blades of the larger turbines at the same rpms.

Somone may have already done it, but I'd be pretty impressed if someone successfully runs a pulsejet in an R/C aircraft.  It's pretty simple stuff and would be a lot lighter.  Runs kinda warm though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Pulse jets have been run in R/C models since the 60's maybe earlier.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about it.  

Not every conceivable act of stupidity can be outlawed--though the Liberals are trying with utmost diligence.  

As long as it's only one shot per button press it should be legal, right?
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about it.  

Not every conceivable act of stupidity can be outlawed--though the Liberals are trying with utmost diligence.  

As long as it's only one shot per button press it should be legal, right?

Someone with some balls has to write to BATF Technical Branch and ask if it is legal to put a registered machine gun into a model plane.  I can only imagine the response.

Link Posted: 7/24/2004 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#48]
That's pretty sweet.  I'd rather be flying in the plane myself but that's still pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
That's pretty sweet.  I'd rather be flying in the plane myself but that's still pretty sweet.

With what I'll end up spending on this "medel" I could darn near finance a used ultralight.....

But if I crash the model I don't die.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Do they make those turbines with an afterburner?

Do they make turbofans?

Any split-spool designs?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top