Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 8:11:42 AM EDT
This is a respones I got fromt he head pistol permit dept in NYS. The ? I asked is below.

I can't answer your first question as I don't have information on all the other states.  Your best course of action would be to check with whatever state you happen to be visiting and find out what their laws are.  The second part I can answer.  If your Peace Officer status enables you to own a firearm without a pistol permit then that exemption carries on into New York City.

Sgt. James E. Sherman
New York State Police
Pistol Permit Bureau

Hi, I have a few ? about carrying your firearm in different states, this is
all of duty carry, I have a NY full carry (resident) and a PA full carry
(non-resident)plus I can carry on the badge. (sheriff dept )
1. What states can I carry in ,which will honor the badge or permits?
2.Can I carry in NYC i know on the permits I can't but what about the
badge? I have asked diffrent people from different dept and have gotten
different answers all time so i just wanted to be sure.
Thanks alot

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I cut and pasted this from Packing.org.  They are regarded as the best resource for this type of information with the disclaimer that you are responsible for checking all information with the states listed for current status.
States that honor NY permits, the dates the information was updated, and the state's web source.

Alaska     2003-02-07  http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/achp/index.htm  

Idaho     2003-02-13  http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/idaho    

Indiana     2003-02-07  http://www.in.gov/isp/faq/index.html    

Kentucky     2003-03-13  http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm    

Michigan        Resident permits only  2003-02-24  http://www.michigan.gov/ag    

Montana     2003-02-07  http://www.doj.state.mt.us/enforcement/default.asp    

Utah     2003-02-06  http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQOther.html

Edited to make it readable
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
packing.org is a great resource.  Pass it around to your friends and spread the word.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
NYCOP sounds like your not a COP/POLICE OFFICER whta is your status/title? Police Officers and Peace Officers with firearms training priviledges in New York State Don't need PERMITS so buff what are you? Before I was on the job with NYPD I was a Rikers Island/NYC Corrections Officer and even then I did not need a Permit...so what is it that you exactly do?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't need a permit to carry or own a pistol, I did get my permit this way i can put all of my pistols on it and this way I could leave this job if I wanted to and keep all of my weapons, i find it kind of dumb to see people give up there firearms to teh dept when they leave (I have seen it more then once) But I was wondering about teh whole NYC thing, I don't work in the city and i don't live there either (I used to live there and LI).
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been a cop 23 years. I have a permit because it does two things my badge doesn't.

1. It lets me purchase without a waiting period (perfect when a great deal is found at a gun show).

2. It lets you carrying the states that reciprocate.

NYCop your PA permit should be reciprocal with Florida. I know Fla and PA reciprocate but I don't know if that includes non resident permits.

There was a time when nobody broke your balls about carrying out of state. Now there may not be alot of assholes that figure an arrest is an arrest, but it only takes one.

A friend of mine got busted carrying out of state on a badge without a permit. The arresting officer told him all his badge was good for around there was conducting electricity. The charges were dismissed (he actually was on official business).

For the most part, at least around here professional courstesy is still the name of the game. If someone from out of state is "on the job" most will not go asking the nature of his business in this state as long as he has the proper LE credentials. For me the permit was cheap insurance against those that may not feel that way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
NYCOP I am not sure if your permit is reciprocal in CT. but you can get a nonresident permit from CSP weapons branch Meridan CT ,dont know the phone # off hand.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
This is what i got from NYPD?

I am writing to you in response to your e-mail inquiry to the Police
Commissioner regarding licensing of firearms.

Your first question was in which states may you carry your firearm when
off-duty.  The NYPD does not have that information, may I suggest that
you contact the firearms licensing agencies of each state in which you
wish to carry your firearm off-duty for the requirements relating to
that jurisdiction.

Your second question was whether you may carry your firearm within the
confines of New York City when you are off-duty, if you are carrying
your badge. The answer is that you may not carry your firearm off-duty
in NYC without receiving permission from the License Division of the
NYPD. If you wish to find out more information about licensing of
firearms within New York City, you may wish to contact the License
Division at One Police Plaza, Room 110, New York, NY 10038, telephone
646-610-5560. I hope this information has been helpful to you.

Sincerely,
                                                                 Anne
E. Stone

Agency Attorney
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
While I'm not surprised at the answer you received from the NYPD, according to Section 400 of the New York State Penal Code it specifically states active, certified NY police officers and eligible peace officers are EXEMPT from licensing restrictions regarding possession/carrying handguns, including the special NYC part.  It's the STATE Penal Code that restricts upstate carry permits from being valid within the city limits.  According to her logic, any town, city, or county in the state could say that nobody but their officers can carry in their municipality.  That wouldn't make sense.

I know the City of New York resents not being a sovereign nation unto themselves but they do have to follow the laws of New York STATE (for the time being at least).  I say the response you got from the NYPD is incorrect.  From what I've always been told, the State of New York says off-duty NY police officers and peace officers can carry in the 5 boroughs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Sherm8404 is correct regarding peace officers in NY.  New York does distinguish between the two unlike many states (can be confusing to out-of-staters).  Depending on that, NYCOP, you'll find your answer.  If you are a full-time, certified NY police officer this should be a no-brainer... you can carry on the badge in NYC, the State of New York says so.  If you're a certified peace officer who is authorized to carry a firearm in the performance of your duties and your department authorized off-duty carry, I believe you can also carry in NYC.  It's more complicated for peace officers (and shouldn't be, IMO).
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is my 2 cents on this topic. I think even if you have a permit for another state, obtained legally you can not cross ANY state line, Fed law. Now LEO's are differant, can cross state laws only on offical buisness. IMO I would not travel anywhere out of state w/ a handgun, even if that state honered my home state permit or my badge. It was stated in a earlier reply, its all about professional courtsy regarding LEO's. I am a NYS Peace Officer, if I went to NJ/CT/PA and got pulled over in my car and the Officer knew I had a pistol in the car, I would go to JAIL.

" Peace Officer's "eligibility" to carry on or off duty, or in NYC, is up to the needs of the employing agency, not determined by NYS Peace Officer definitions. Many peace officers don't even get guns"

If you are a NY Peace Officer, it is up to your dept to set off duty carry rules. Basically if your Dept. has Firearms Training, usally you can carry off duty.
The second part of that statement is true. My dept will allow you to carry off duty w/ any handgun as long as that hangun is "on the badge"

"If you're a certified peace officer who is authorized to carry a firearm in the performance of your duties and your department authorized off-duty carry, I believe you can also carry in NYC. It's more complicated for peace officers (and shouldn't be, IMO). "

I know NYS and NYC Correction Off. can carry in NYC. Not sure of any other Peace officers. Just a little info, there are appox. 65 differant designatinos for NYS Peace Off.(CPL 2.10)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Celtic, Federal law permits people to transport firearms from one state to another as long as its legal for them to possess in their home  state and their destination state. This includes travel through any states in between. The weapon must be unloaded and secure.

Once you arrive in your destination, if you have a permit to carry in the destination state or they honor permits from your home state, load up and carry concealed in accordance with the appropriate laws.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was "On the job" it was forbidden to us to have a pistol permit,,I bet it hasn't changed. If we did we could be brought up on charges.....and please change you screen name your not a "COP" If you wanna be a Police Officer apply for the job......
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I was "On the job" it was forbidden to us to have a pistol permit,,I bet it hasn't changed. If we did we could be brought up on charges.....and please change you screen name your not a "COP" If you wanna be a Police Officer apply for the job......
View Quote

It hasn't changed [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I work for a sherrifs dept in upstate NY, We are allowed to have pistol permits, the sheriff (my boss) is the one who reviews the permit and approves it before it goes to the county judge. So if you guys that can't get permits does that mean you can not buy pistols? or can you buy them on the badge and then have to turn them in when you leave the dept and hope that you get a permit? I will bet you that most dept will allow that people to get a permit. Just becasue my name is NYCOP does not mean that I am NYPD there are other dept in NYS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have two friends that were on the job with small NY State departments. One was on a small town force in Westchester County, and the other was a Putnam County deputy sheriff. Both got NY state pistol permits while on the job in case they left the force, and both did so it was a good move for them. Both of my friends were told by their departments that they were not allowed to carry off duty on the badge in NYC. All of the NYC cops I've known over the years have told me that only NYC and NY Troopers are allowed off duty carry in NYC. None of the NYC cops said they would lock someone up for an off duty pistol if they had the appropriate LE ID.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#18]
hey sarge, you can add NYC and NYS correction Officers to that list.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
hey sarge, you can add NYC and NYS correction Officers to that list.
View Quote

I should have remembered this. By bad...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#22]
MA allows ANY LEO to carry on the badge in this state:

MGL c. 140 s.129c (o) covers exemptions to the requirement of possessing a "License to Carry Firearms" in order to possess a handgun (or high capacity long-arm).

"Persons in the military or other service of any state or of the United States, and police officers and other peace officers of any jurisdiction, in the performance of their official duty or when duly authorized to possess them;"

Not to say that a lot of MA LEOs know about this law, but it is generally recognized that as long as the non-resident LEO is authorized to possess the firearm in their own jurisdiction, they can carry it off-duty in MA. Mas Ayoob was the first person to tell me this some 17 years ago.

My NH Non-Resident permit took 9 days from dropping the application in the mailbox to getting the permit in-hand. My FL CCW took ~ 4 months, but is good in ~18 states.

I am a Constable in MA (4 years) and formerly was a Reserve PO in MA for 17 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top