Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 10:52:54 AM EDT
I have a few degenerating disks and a few bulging ones as well.  The pain is getting progressively worse, so I went with an epidural today.  I'll get more of them down the road too.

Anyone have experience with this type of pain management?

SGTar15, you have a lot of back trouble as I recall, you ever try it?

Balming
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes I have.  I felt better for about 4-5 days, but that was it.  I didn't have any more because I decided to have the surgery.  I have been told that they work longer after each time you have them.

Keep in mind that I had 4 leaking disk, this is a big differance then bulged disks, so they should work better for you.  I would deffinetely suggest you try more of these before any surgery option.

I must ask....have you had a Disk-o-gram done yet?

Good luck, I hope it works for you.  BTW, what disks are causing you problems?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a hernieated disc and had thre injections two years ago.  After each one I got progressively better.  Things were great for two years then I bent over in the garage and WHAM, it hit me again.  One more injection and physical therapy and I feel pretty good.  I have my good days and my bad days.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Nah... Edited...
Anyway...

Sorry to hear about your bad back.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 herniated discs and have been through failed back surgery. I have actually had some positive results with "Epidurals".  In fact, I have had "selective nerve blocks".  I think they are one and the same....

I usually get 3-4 months of relief subsequent to the procedure.  (it usually takes a few days to "kick in")

Just make sure that they do the procedure UNDER FLUOROSCOPY!  If not, it is usually ineffective and could be harmful. (they can't visualize the area --  and stick a large needle into your spine BLINDLY!)

Good luck Balming !   Back pain can really be debilitating.  (Try to avoid surgery at any cost !!)
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nah... Edited...
Anyway...

Sorry to hear about your bad back.
View Quote

Whoa !!  The new [b]KINDLER AND GENTLER McUZI![/b] [:D]

It's damn good to have 'ya back.  Things have been too quiet lately. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, they did it under xray.  I had it done at Health South in Birmingham Al, one of the best in the country.  We get professional athletes all the time here for sports medicine and other surgeries.
I've never had a disco-gram, but have had numerous xrays and two MRIs.

McUzi, I'm spechless.  I sure would like to have read what you originally posted!

Balming
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Disk-o-grams are like Midevil torture.

Basically they only do them if you are going to have a surgery.  They inject a dye directly into the offending disk and then take a MRI.  My problem was I had 4 leaking disks so the fluid ran out and directly put pressure on my spinal cord!  I literally was screaming and crying from the intense pain.  It was so bad that I gouged my own shoulder with my finger nails with 4" long gashes.  If I had a gun at the time I would have shot myself the pain was so bad.....SERIOUSLY!

Not to scare you or anything, but I will never have another one again!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a few degenerating disks and a few bulging ones as well.  The pain is getting progressively worse, so I went with an epidural today.  I'll get more of them down the road too.

Anyone have experience with this type of pain management?

SGTar15, you have a lot of back trouble as I recall, you ever try it?

Balming
View Quote

I had a severe case of pancreatitis two years ago. Over a four month period I spent four weeks in the hospital. Aside from extreme pain in my gut (there was a 8"L X 6"D pseudocyst growing on my pancreas pushing things out of their normal positions) one of the symptoms was sharp back pain. The last week was for surgery. During that stay they gave me an epidural of morphine with unrestricted control. It seemed to work very, very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top