Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:29:34 AM EDT
I explained to him that we have a planned trip back to NYC this year that usually includes a stop for a day or two in Plainfield/ Westfield area before we head to NYC (I am orig from Yonkers). I explained to him that we are skipping out on New Jersey this year because of his decision to lower the flag 1/2 mast for Whitney Houston.

I told him it is not acceptable to me that he bestow the same honor to her as his state does for fallen US Armed Service Members, fallen peace officers and firemen.

His choice. My wallet.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
How about skipping NJ because of their terrible gun laws and general history of ignoring FOPA safe-passage?

Your wallet and all, yes, but damn, I can think of better reasons to boycott the garden state.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How about skipping NJ because of their terrible gun laws and general history of ignoring FOPA safe-passage?

Your wallet and all, yes, but damn, I can think of better reasons to boycott the garden state.

Like fake spray on tans
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I skip NJ because I can't pump my own gas.

Suffering Oregon is bad enough.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
(I am orig from Yonkers).

Agree, also anything to skip Elizabeth..

(aside; I have had family in yonkers from the 1930's to the late 90's)
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I can carry in NJ (I understand their struggles and I am a
member of the NRA and I donate to help the cause).

My family in that are
are good people, they are progun and they have always voted that way.  

I am a 8+ year US Marine veteran, previous to my current career, I worked on the DoD human remains contract. We brought our fallen men and women home from Iraq/ Afghanistan to Dover, then we flew them as close to home as possible. I am LEO now. What Gov. Christie is doing hits me with a layer of disgust that is currently without measure.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah yes, NYC is completely acceptable but you skip jersey because of the current flag ordeal.  I see your ducks are all aligned in a perfect row.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's worth it to pay more $ to pump your own gas? I always make a jink and detour to Jersey to fill up for my return trip to MA from NYC since it's about $1.15 per gallon cheaper than I have to pay at home or about $.30-40 cheaper than NY.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, a review of the NJ Executive Orders page certainly reveals a few questionable half staff orders.
I don't remember the outrage for this one:
http://nj.gov/infobank/circular/eocc67.pdf
NOW, THEREFORE, I, CHRIS CHRISTIE, Governor of the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the Statutes of this State, do hereby ORDER and DIRECT:
1. The Flag of the United States of America and the flag of the State of New Jersey shall be flown at half-staff at all State departments, offices, agencies, and instrumentalities during appropriate hours on Thursday, June 23, 2011, in recognition and mourning of the passing of Clarence Clemons.
2. This Order shall take effect immediately.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ah yes, NYC is completely acceptable but you skip jersey because of the current flag ordeal.  I see your ducks are all aligned in a perfect row.  

Got family in the city, need to visit the 9/11 memorial as I served with a pilot that was the first officer on UA175. We have ALOT of people fighting Bloomberg over his gun laws and the state laws... including members of this site (like the owners for starters). We have members here donating to the Marine who refuses to accept a plea deal in his gun in case.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Meh, a review of the NJ Executive Orders page certainly reveals a few questionable half staff orders.

So this is habitual then for him?

I didn't know. I haven't heard any one bring this up yet...until now.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, glad we've gotten the economy, union influence, gun control, and other things under control....  must be nice to move beyond those things and get to what Really Matters™
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who was alive to witness her sing the best-ever rendition of the National Anthem at the Superbowl knows that she deserves the honor in spite of her untimely demise. I saw it live and it was a moment that I certainly will never forget. Quite honestly I do not think anyone has ever performed that song as well, or with as much heart as she did that day.

Back then she was a treasure.

She then made a LOT of very unfortunate and bad decisions starting with Bobby Brown, turning her life to hell and and an early death. None of that harmed America or changed the great gift that she gave this country with that performance.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I approve this message, that makes me sick that they are treating that drug addict like that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I explained to him that we have a planned trip back to NYC this year that usually includes a stop for a day or two in Plainfield/ Westfield area before we head to NYC (I am orig from Yonkers). I explained to him that we are skipping out on New Jersey this year because of his decision to lower the flag 1/2 mast for Whitney Houston.

I told him it is not acceptable to me that he bestow the same honor to her as his state does for fallen US Armed Service Members, fallen peace officers and firemen.

His choice. My wallet.

I agree.

I would encourage everyone to spend their money in areas other then Portland, OR, as those retarded yahoo politicians decide to lower the flag to half staff for murdered gang banger kids.

As much as I disagree with extending this honor to W. Houston, IMHO doing this for scumbag criminals is way, way over the top.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Sent an email to him this morning.

Veteran against lowering the flag for a drug addict death.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, she was born there.

Our governor has ordered flags at half mast for any number of public figures.  

Flags at half-mast != burial with military honors.  Just because a method or recognition is used for servicemen does not mean that it is excluded for use by others.

Sorry, but of all the things to get outraged about, this one just isn't registering for me.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Good. That honor should be reserved to those who paid for it with their blood. Dying of a drug OD certainly shouldn't.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I approve this message, that makes me sick that they are treating that drug addict like that.

Quoted:

Sent an email to him this morning.

Veteran against lowering the flag for a drug addict death.

I figured other vets felt the same way.

Interested in learning more for whom states including my own, have lowered them for other than fallen vets, cops firemen and the usually holiday's and .gov deaths we are accustomed to seeing.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I skip NJ for more reasons than that already.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#21]
lol, among all the reasons to skip NJ, that one probably ranks towards the bottom of an extremely long list.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15060

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca, 20, of North Arlington, N.J., died Feb. 10 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.  He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Whitney Houston died Feb 11.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So this is habitual then for him?

I didn't know. I haven't heard any one bring this up yet...until now.

Here you go:

http://nj.gov/infobank/circular/eoindex.htm

It's mostly KIA Servicemen, a few police officers (a State Trooper was given the honor for a week), and politicians, but there are a few others on there.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's worth it to pay more $ to pump your own gas? I always make a jink and detour to Jersey to fill up for my return trip to MA from NYC since it's about $1.15 per gallon cheaper than I have to pay at home or about $.30-40 cheaper than NY.

don't inject logic into this... REAL MEN PUMP THEIR OWN GAS

yesterday, gas was around .30-35/gallon cheaper in NJ than in PA for the same "brand".

I saved nearly $4 on a tank, didn't have to get out of my car in the cold and my hands didn't smell like gasoline for my entire commute. (apparently, people in my area of PA suck at pumping gas and spill fuel down the handle )
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

His choice. My wallet.

I understand that flag etiquette allows half-mast by gubernatorial order.  It does not specify this has to be for "fallen US Armed Service Members, fallen peace officers and firemen" only.  

Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, she was born there.

Our governor has ordered flags at half mast for any number of public figures.  

Flags at half-mast != burial with military honors.  Just because a method or recognition is used for servicemen does not mean that it is excluded for use by others.

Sorry, but of all the things to get outraged about, this one just isn't registering for me.

Quoted:
I understand that flag etiquette allows half-mast by gubernatorial order.  It does not specify this has to be for "fallen US Armed Service Members, fallen peace officers and firemen" only.  

Is that not the case?

Nope. Rather specific regs on this.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia.

If the deceased wasn't a present or former government official, or a member of the Armed Forces serving on active duty then your governor was acting outside of their authority.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Is that not the case?

Learning more about Jersey and their flag etiquette with this thread actually.

That being said, she was a drug addicted liar who made a fool and a spectacle out of her talented life.

She had talent and means. She decided that crack, cocaine and pills were worth more. I do not want that honored the way they honor http://www.nj.com/war/soldiers/index.ssf?/iraq/stories/casualties/list.html as an example.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Then stay out.

No skin off my back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We pay less here for gas than most other states where you have to pump your own.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Then stay out.

No skin off my back.

KNA

"Noted"

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Then stay out.

No skin off my back.

KNA

"Noted"

I am behind enemy lines.

I use that as a cover.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I am behind enemy lines.

I use that as a cover.

Excellent OPSEC.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15060

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca, 20, of North Arlington, N.J., died Feb. 10 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.  He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Whitney Houston died Feb 11.

http://nj.gov/infobank/circular/eocc86.pdf

I imagine he'll give an EO for Lance Cpl. Montes as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that not the case?

That being said, she was a drug addicted liar who made a fool and a spectacle out of her talented life.

She had talent and means. She decided that crack, cocaine and pills were worth more. I do not want that honored the way they honor http://www.nj.com/war/soldiers/index.ssf?/iraq/stories/casualties/list.html as an example.

Not disputing your thoughts but was curious if this order in any way violated flag etiquette.  It does not appear so but I'm open to correction.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Here is the list of NJ governor's executive orders. Scroll down a bit to find Feb. 2012.   NJ Executive orders

Although the governor has historically ordered the flag lowered for NJ servicemen killed in the line of duty, you will note that Marine Lance Corporal Osbrany De Oca died on Feb 10th in AFG.  The .mil officially announced the casualty on  2/13.    Whitney Houston died on 2/10.   On Feb 15, Gov. Christie issued the "half-staff" order for Whitney Houston.   He has not yet prescribed such an order for LCpl De Oca.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that not the case?

Not disputing your thoughts but was curious if this order in any way violated flag etiquette.  It does not appear so but I'm open to correction.

It does violate the federal law relating to flag display.

A governor can only order the US flag to half mast for the death of (1)a present or former government official  of that state (2)an active duty member of the armed forces.

That's it. That's all the law allows. What a governor does with his own state flag is, of course, his businesses.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#39]
She was a druggy, not really sure why anyone is shedding any tears over her death, lowering the flag for her is stupid IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that not the case?

It does violate the federal law relating to flag display.

A governor can only order the US flag to half mast for the death of (1)a present or former government official  of that state (2)an active duty member of the armed forces.

That's it. That's all the law allows. What a governor does with his own state flag is, of course, his businesses.

The Flag Code is a codification of customs and rules established for the use of
certain civilians and civilian groups. No penalty or punishment is specified in the
Flag Code for display of the flag of the United States in a manner other than as
suggested. Cases which have construed the former 36 U.S.C. § 17521 have concluded
that the Flag Code does not proscribe conduct, but is merely declaratory and
advisory.22
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
She was a druggy, not really sure why anyone is shedding any tears over her death, lowering the flag for her is stupid IMHO.

The only reason why he is doing it is because she was from NJ.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

+1

I might see your point if they did not lower the flag for fallen svc members...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when the mouth-breathing HS dropout whose job it is to run the pumps puts gasoline into your diesel truck.

NJ and NYC - both are on my "do not travel" list.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#44]
He went 1/2 mast over Whitney fucking Houston?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when the mouth-breathing HS dropout whose job it is to run the pumps puts gasoline into your diesel truck.

Lived here all my life, and never had that happen.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He went 1/2 mast over Whitney fucking Houston?

She is from NJ.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Fuck NJ and it's Fat-Back Governor.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

His choice. My wallet.

What E-mail address did you send it to?
I went on NJ.gov last night, went to the link to e-mail the governor, and hot an error saying the page was down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#49]
flag was at half staff for Whitney who?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How does that happen??
Every gas station I've ever been to in NJ has the diesel pump away Friday m the gas pumps. Could it have been your fault for pulling up to the wrong pump?

ETA: unless it was 30 years ago. They used to have diesel into the regular pumps. And you've been Holden mg this grudge for that long.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top