Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/13/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT
Just dropped off the last check. It's taken me 13 years to pay off the legal bill from my divorce. (Okay, I still have to pay back the $150,000 from refinancing the house and $80,000 borrowed from my 401K. And, of course, there's already another trial in the works - but, hey, it's still a huge milestone   )

Venison and port tonight to celebrate  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#1]
That was EXPENSIVE 'tang.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just dropped off the last check. It's taken me 13 years to pay off the legal bill from my divorce. (Okay, I still have to pay back the $150,000 from refinancing the house and $80,000 borrowed from my 401K. And, of course, there's already another trial in the works - but, hey, it's still a huge milestone   )

It never really ends, does it?

Congrats on the milestoine Rodent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Reason number 87 to never get married.

BC
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It never really ends, does it?

Congrats on the milestoine Rodent.

This will be trial # TWENTY. I've been the defendant for every one of them. If  you'd told me all those years ago that this was going to happen, I wouldn't have believed it was even possible.

Even more good news: The (female) judge that we've had for 16 of our 19 trials, who never gives me a break, just retired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine cost me a bundle but it was worth it in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This will be trial # TWENTY.

The Trials end when the money runs out.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This will be trial # TWENTY. I've been the defendant for every one of them. If  you'd told me all those years ago that this was going to happen, I wouldn't have believed it was even possible.

Even more good news: The (female) judge that we've had for 16 of our 19 trials, who never gives me a break, just retired.

20?! Dear LORD!

How old is your youngest?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn Rodent.  I would have moved to south america before #20!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Q:  Why is the cost of a divorce so high?
A:  Because it's worth it.

I'm here all week, try the veal.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#11]
You could have killed her and been out by now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Next time you could pay me the money and I will buy a sniper rifle and do it for you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going through a divorce right now.  Mine doesn't sound as costly as yours, yet.  I've had to hire two lawyers so far and gave them $7,500 to start.  I have about $2,000 credit left with both of them.

Marriage is a joke. I've been through one marriage when I was young.  Years later, and girlfriends in between, I found this one and thought she was it.  Rude awakening.  

If future girlfriends don't like that I'd rather die than marry them, they can hit the f&cking road.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Daaaammmmmmmnnnnnnn
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next time you could pay me the money and I will buy a sniper rifle and do it for you.

Umm... you may want to remove that. COC violation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey Rodent......How YOU Doin?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What you think he has money now
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you think he has money now

I was joking, which I'm sure he and his lovely g/f realize -- however for the sake of argument and the fact that Rodent's so cute I could just pinch him.....Those payments that were previously going to his attorney could be going to me, could they not?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Well what is the total price tag on lawyers and legal fees now?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#20]
$23,000 in legal fees so far fighting the Guardian ad Lietum, NYC attorneys, Queens County Probate Court judges and after spending $24,000 in funeral and travel expenses, real definition of group sex, everbody is f%$king me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How old is your youngest?

17. Haven't heard from her since she was 13. Her two older sisters have re-established contact and come around nicely, though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems like a great opportunity for a black market 'problem solving' person.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just tallied it up:  $669,015.08
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]
All this talk of marital bliss is really convincing me that marraige is NOT in my best interest.  Thanks!      
I think....... .

-K
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I could just pinch him.....Those payments that were previously going to his attorney could be going to me, could they not?

Not saying I'm one of them, but there are people who will pay a lot for that sort of thing...  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dayam.  I'd just buy a mansion and tell the bitch to live on the other end.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
How could you possibly have 20 trials in a divorce case!?!  Even Anna Nicole only had two.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy Jesus! I don't feel so depressed now. Was there something wrong with me when the VP shot that lawyer and I blurted out "GOOD!"?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the deal that makes yours so expensive?

Kent
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Kent

An obsessed ex with an amoral lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kent

Are there moral layers out there?

O.k, we have one here on ARFCOM but he's into real estate from what I hear.

ETA:  Where does she get her money to press forward with this?  I'm assuming you have something worth going for.  Likewise I'm assuming she doesn't since she is spending so much time going after yours.  How does she foot the bill?

Kent
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Are you free once the youngest turns 18, or does she have her hooks into you through college?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kent

Holy shit, dude! Curiosity is getting the better of me, and I'm dying to know where almost three quarters of a million dollars went, and why. Can you summarize each of the trials? I'm seriously very curious, and I'm hoping you don't mind if I'm asking for something too personal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
How could you possibly have 20 trials in a divorce case!?!  Even Anna Nicole only had two.  

My actual divorce was only two as well, a preliminary hearing and a final. We've had 17 since then for things like increases in child support and alimoney, accusations of fraud, molesting our daughters, endangering our daughters, interfering with their educations, assault, trespassing, criminal trespassing, theft, threatening, yada, yada, yada. I haven't been convicted of anything, but it sure hasn't been for lack of effort on her part. If I told you stories, you wouldn't believe me. We have the largest file in the county court house, including murders.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kent

Man, oh, man, Rodent, you've eluded to your divorce in a few threads, but I don't ever recall a complete history?  Dang, it sounds like you have had way more than your fair share of bullshit.  Have you ever posted a "tell all story"?

600+K?????Wow, I mean wow!!!!   My dad is a fairly wealthy guy, and is working on his third marriage, I mean divorce waiting to happen.   Each of his was costly, but you must run in Bill Gates type of circles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My actual divorce was only two as well, a preliminary hearing and a final. We've had 17 since then for things like increases in child support and alimoney, accusations of fraud, molesting our daughters, endangering our daughters, interfering with their educations, assault, trespassing, criminal trespassing, theft, threatening, yada, yada, yada. I haven't been convicted of anything, but it sure hasn't been for lack of effort on her part. If I told you stories, you wouldn't believe me. We have the largest file in the county court house, including murders.  

Rodent, once you're free of her, write a book and see if you can sell it to recoup your losses. It would be poetic justice if her crazy antics helped make you a lot of money.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ETA:  Where does she get her money to press forward with this?  I'm assuming you have something worth going for.  Likewise I'm assuming she doesn't since she is spending so much time going after yours.  How does she foot the bill?

I gave her a house, two cars, $127,000 cash, two years of alimony and part of my retirement in the settlement. She also gets 40% of my pay for child support. She was also married to a psychiatrist for a while who was bankrolling her, but he divorced her last year. She's pretty much bankrupted both of us. There's no logic in it, it's a literal obsession.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh, dear God. I want you to verbally smack the shit out of me if I ever complain about ANYTHING in my life. That kind of relentless BS would push me over the edge, and I'm a pretty mellow guy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Curiosity is getting the better of me, and I'm dying to know where almost three quarters of a million dollars went, and why. Can you summarize each of the trials? I'm seriously very curious, and I'm hoping you don't mind if I'm asking for something too personal.

That's only MY legal bill, not hers. If you feel like wading through the legalese, here's a link to one of our trials that went all the way to the state supreme court:

www.nh.gov/judiciary/supreme/opinions/2003/rhode036.htm

Quoted:
Are you free once the youngest turns 18, or does she have her hooks into you through college?

My final stipulation says I'm free when they're all 18 and out of high school, but she took me back to court on that and won, so I'm still paying for my 19- and 21-year-olds as well as the 17. The trial that's coming up next deals with that issue again, among other things.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gave her a house, two cars, $127,000 cash, two years of alimony and part of my retirement in the settlement. She also gets 40% of my pay for child support. She was also married to a psychiatrist for a while who was bankrolling her, but he divorced her last year. She's pretty much bankrupted both of us. There's no logic in it, it's a literal obsession.

Hmmm...   Did she go mental on you all at once or was it a slow progression?

Points finger at psychiatrist [Nelson] HA, HA!! [Nelson/].  Sorry, not much sympathy for those in the field of psychiatry that get themslves involved in a situation like this.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kent

Wow, You got that combo too?

I thought I was the only one.

Cept mine cost a bit less than yours in real cash.

Cost sadly much more if you factor in the assets I walked and left her owning to save my skin.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

My final stipulation says I'm free when they're all 18 and out of high school, but she took me back to court on that and won, so I'm still paying for my 19- and 21-year-olds as well as the 17. The trial that's coming up next deals with that issue again, among other things.  

Sounds like shes a control freak. Too bad you can't pay the older daughters directly....and cut her out of the money loop. What will she do, when you cut your last check to her? I'll bet she self destructs.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I have about $2,300 left on my lawyer bill that is now part of my credit card balance.........
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#48]
That's a bitter woman....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just amazed the court put up with all that.  You must have gotten a real winner for a judge.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank God my wife dosen't believe in divorce.  I know she dosen't or she would have already left me.

I feel sorry for you however.

lumper
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top