Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:34:31 PM EDT
for the first time since I was a kid (dad used to get them at fun shows) and it was pretty doggone tasty.

Beef enchilada, wild rice, jalapeno cheese and crackers, and oatmeal cookies. Not bad!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:35:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
for the first time since I was a kid (dad used to get them at fun shows) and it was pretty doggone tasty.

Beef enchilada, wild rice, jalapeno cheese and crackers, and oatmeal cookies. Not bad!

You're making me hungry. Stop it. Please.

I've seen people gripe about MRE's alot, but I find them rather yummy..most of them anyways.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:35:24 PM EDT
My fave too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:35:37 PM EDT
I love the jalapeno cheese and crackers.

That reminds me, I need to dig a couple out and restock my truck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:35:49 PM EDT
You can get them at funshows you say?

I will have to try those MRE's of which you speak.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:44:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
I love the jalapeno cheese and crackers.

That reminds me, I need to dig a couple out and restock my truck.

You don't carry maps also, do you?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=382778
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:45:20 PM EDT
It,s because of the rat meat in BBQ sauce, horse meat in BBQ sauce, and dog meatballs in BBQ sauce that I just grill hamburgers and steak these days.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:45:52 PM EDT
You won't have to worry about taking a crap for awhile
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:46:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
I like them too. But I haven't had to eat them for six months straight in the desert either.

Good point! I nuked mine in the microwave and watched Mythbusters shoot pigs in the comfort of my own home.

I'm glad the troops get good chow is all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:48:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By menefreghista:

+1

Prepare for a basketball-sized mud baby about, oh, say 16 September. Until then, become familiar with the following term: gastric distress.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:49:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By out-a-ammo:
You don't carry maps also, do you?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=382778

As a matter of fact, I do. Always have at least an atlas and a couple detailed state maps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:49:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
You can get them at funshows you say?

I will have to try those MRE's of which you speak.

Yeah... This one I got last Monday at an Army-Navy "surplus" store by where I work.

"Surplus" in quotes because they had probably 25 things that could be considered surplus... the rest was new stuff or cheap knockoffs from China. But they had MRE heaters, which I don't see a lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:49:55 PM EDT
Some are better thatn others.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:51:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Silly people.

LOL I know, "Why would you voluntarily eat one?"

Truth be told, I have a case of them in the basement should the excrement hit the fan. But I just wanted to eat one to recapture a little of that feeling I had when i was a kid and my dad would bring home gorilla cookies, Meals-Rejected by Ethiopians and WWI gas masks from the surplus store. Good times.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:20:45 PM EDT
damn i want a MRE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 6:47:50 PM EDT by bloodmoon]
Try eating them for a few months and then tell me how much you like those damn meals not ready to exit. I fucking hate MREs they always taste dry to me. Try eating them without heating them up. This is how I had to eat them in Korea and during FTXs and deployments. It fucking makes me sick to even think about eating the meatloaf MRE it smells like Alpo dog food. To this day every time I feed my dog I think about that meatloaf and I dry gag.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:27:13 PM EDT
If you ate MRE's and took FLEET, would it cancel out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:28:12 PM EDT
My National Guard recruiter gave my little brother a case of them for his birthdaya couple years ago. We got to know him really well while a medical waiver was in D.C. trying to be pushed through. He also gave us a couple of M16 mags

I thought MREs were tasty.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:28:55 PM EDT
They taste good warm, but try eating one cold.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:31:54 PM EDT
One of the guys in the shop at work bought a pallet load of civilian (not a big as the mil-spec ones) MRE's in 1999 for Y2K (remember that!). The 5 year expiration date came up early this year, so he started selling them cheap. I bought a case for $5. Then he gave me a case free. I keep it on top of my filing cabinet in my office. Great for a hot lunch when I don't brown bag it or feel like going out. The other guys think I'm nuts, but they're usually eating vending machine crap, so I get the last laugh. I've had some mil-spec MRE's also, they're OK. All in all, great survival food, whether it's in the office or the boonies. I have maps too. Guess that make me a "survivalist", huh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:33:23 PM EDT
Ahhhhhhh.......my favorite, MRE's! Nothing better than driving across the sands of Iraq in your CUCV with the defroster and heat turned up on high to warm up a pack of Frankfurters!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 6:37:07 PM EDT by Tromatic]
The "new" ones in 2000 or so with the vegitarian menus were real good, I thought. I could eat the pastas and the like on the run without heating, something I could not do with the mystery meat menus.
I'd rather eat a tasty cold MRE than green eggs in the morning or what had to be recycled C-rat meat slabs in the evening. Regardless, it's food. Probabley tastes better than rotting liberal.
Matthew
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:39:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
I like them too. But I haven't had to eat them for six months straight in the desert either.

I have..
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:45:04 PM EDT
There are still two cases sitting in the closet at my mom's house. I was in the Coast Guard during Y2k and they bought a pile of them then let whoever wanted any take them home. They have expiration dates of 2005 but they have been in an air conditioned house for the last 4 years (probably 75 degress) they should still be good, maybe, I would try one but I'm on a low carb diet right now
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:45:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:53:14 PM EDT
LANCEMAN: They're still good. It's like canned food without the can. They have expiration dates because the longer you keep them, the more the taste deterioates.

BravoCompanyUSA: I understand you just pour in water(or any other liquid containing water, could be yellow liquid) to activate, and presto 10-15minutes later, a piping hot MRE.

Personally, for me fresh food tastes the best, but then when you're starving or that is the only thing you're going to then, YUMM.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:59:02 PM EDT
take three (3) MRE meals...

fieldstrip....

go live in the woods for most of the week...

repeat next week.....

over and over......

they'll loose their fun... I'm dreading deployment in march lol

-Roth
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:59:59 PM EDT
They don't make the good ones anymore I see.

I miss the Omelet W/Ham and the Escalloped Potatos and Ham.MMMMMMMM....MMMMMMM.....Good!

The new ones sound like something you'd get in a fancy restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:04:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:
I actually used to prefer them over the chuck wagon. More calories and you could save some for later.

Never tried one warmed up.

How do the MRE heaters work (I have never used one before) ?

I think you put the food packet in the heating pouch and add water to a line printed on the bag. 5/10/15min later (I can't remember how long it took) you have a meal that is too hot to touch.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:07:27 PM EDT
This is what is left of my secound case this year. (not counting the Canadian MRES of coarse.)

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:16:55 PM EDT
MREs...

Food (or what passes for it), sealed in plastic, which takes longer to open (w/o a pocketknife) than it does to eat....

They don't plug me up, and they don't taste as bad as what BCT and OCS consider 'hot chow' for FTX (most of that (mermites, hot-as, whatever you call it) was 'whatever the DFAC had leftover from the last meal), and there's alot in 'em...

I can understand how eating MREs for months would make ya hate 'em though, and the longest I've had to live on 'em is a week...

Ah well, tomorrow = 2 more MRE meals... At least they're free...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:18:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By menefreghista:

I've heard this repeatedly, and I have to wonder why? I have some of the newer meals, and fer-christ sakes, they've GOT fiber in them. The meal I just looked at has 13g, which is half of what is suggested you get. 2 meals a day ought to do ya fine.

Now I wil readily say that the OLD meals, you know, the ones from the '80s and early '90s, in those really dark brown wrappers DON'T have much fiber in them. I could see one getting plugged up from them, but not the new ones.

What gives?

For the most part, the newer meals are alright. I do skip some of the meals I don't like though. If all I had was the ones I didn't like, I'm sure I'd think they suck too.

Remember the old meatballs and rice in tomato sauce? Yum. Or those old Gorilla Cookies? Even the Au Gratin Potatoes werent that bad. Now you can keep that nasty Beef Hash; we left it outside for the poor starving animals to eat, and even they wouldn't touch it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:30:59 PM EDT
I just ate a premium grade 12 oz ribeye grilled to medium rare with steak butter on top.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:38:48 PM EDT
If you ever had to eat C-Rations in the service, you'd think MRE's were a gourmet treat. Man just thinking of eating C's gives me the runs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:47:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billclo:
I've heard this repeatedly, and I have to wonder why?

Seriously, it has to do with how the majority of the time you probably won't be drinking enough water
to facilitate the proper processing of the Mystery. You're not drinking enough, then your body starts
processing it, sucking up even more water, and you end up being stopped up like the infamous
pooper pic that's been here in the past....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT by bull_8]

Silly people.

Truth be told, I have a case of them in the basement should the excrement hit the fan. But I just wanted to eat one to recapture a little of that feeling I had when i was a kid and my dad would bring home gorilla cookies, Meals-Rejected by Ethiopians and WWI gas masks from the surplus store. Good times.

MRE= Mystery

Meals Refused by Everyone

They actually weren't that bad when heated on the exhaust grille of the Abrams for about 30 seconds
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:11:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bull_8:

Silly people.

MRE= Mystery

Meals Refused by Everyone

They actually weren't that bad when heated on the exhaust grille of the Abrams for about 30 seconds

Actually it's "Meals Refusing to Excrete". The worst meal our military gets is better than what 90% of what the rest of the world gets, though. People do kill for a case of beans and weenies.
matthew
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:55:21 PM EDT
They are several degrees better than C-rations and Hard Tack.

http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/other/hard-tack.htm

The Fairfield Tribune
Fairfield, Jefferson, Iowa
Thursday, September 13, 1883

Hard-Tack

As I write, there lies before me on my table and innocent-looking cracker, which I have faithfully preserved for years. It is about the size and has the appearance of an ordinary soda biscuit. If you take it in your hand you will find it somewhat heavier than an ordinary biscuit and if you bite it-but no; I will not let you bite it, for I wish to see how long I can keep it. But if you were to reduce it to a fine powder, you would find that it would absorb a greater quantity of water than an equal weight of ordinary flour. You would also observe that it is hard. You may think it is to be attributed to its great age. But if you imagine that its age is to be measured only by the years which have elapsed since the war, you are greatly mistaken; for there was a common belief among the boys that our hard-tack had been baked long before the commencement of the Christian era! This opinion was based upon the fact that the letters B.C. were stamped on many, if not, indeed, all of the cracker boxes. To be sure, there were some skeptics who shook their heads and maintained that these mysterious letters were the initials of the name of some army contractor or inspector of supplies, but the belief was widespread and deep-seated that they were certainly intended to set forth the ear in which our bread had been baked.

For our hard-tack were very hard. It was difficult to break them with the teeth. Some of them you could not fracture with your fist. Still, there was an immense amount of nourishment in them- when once you had learned how to get at it. It required some experience and no little hunger to enable one to appreciate hard-tack aright and it demanded no small amount of inventive power to understand how to cook hard-tack as they ought to be cooked. If I remember correctly, in our section of the army we hand not less than fifteen different ways of preparing them. In other parts, I understand, they had discovered one or two more ways; but with us, fifteen was the limit of the culinary art when hard-tack was on the board.

On the march they were usually not cooked at all, but eaten in the raw state. In order, however, to make them somewhat more palatable, you simply cut down a slice of nice fat pork on your cracker, put a spoonful of brown sugar on top of the pork and you had a dish fit for a soldier. Of course, the pork had just come out of the pickle, and was consequently quite raw. When we halted for coffee we sometimes had fricasseed hard-tack -- prepared by toasting them before the hot coals. When, as generally was the case on a march our hard-tack had been broken into small pieces in our haversacks, we soaked them in water and fried them in pork fat stirring well, and seasoning with salt and sutler's pepper, thus making what was commonly known as a "hishy-hashy" or a "hot-fired-stew".

Thus you see what vast and unsuspecting possibilities reside in this innocent-looking three-and-a-half inch square of hard-tack lying here on my table before me. Three like this specimen made a meal, and nine were a ration; and this is what fought the battles for the Union.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 10:29:50 PM EDT by OEF_VET]
Mr. E's, the nastiest, most vile culinary concotion ever created by man.

The little heater packets in them are also good for creating "field-expedient distraction devices". Just take a small, plastic bottle, drop the chemical pad form the heater into the empty bottle, pour the little bottle of tabasco in with it, add a small amount of water, cap, shake up and throw. When I was in Kosovo, we used to do that to each other at night. My platoon slept in one tent, with another platoon in the tent next to us. We'd make up MRE-teargas-bombs and toss them under the pallets keeping the tents off of the ground. The bang wakes you up and a few seconds later, you get a nice whiff of Tabasco-laden air. It will clear a GP medium tent VERY quickly.

I don't recommend you try this at home. It could be very dangerous. It's fun, but possibly dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:49:42 PM EDT
Eat all you want...but you aint missing nothing...

Durring an excercise, I tried one of the damned things.

Freind said..."try the burger patty" He swore up and down that it was good...

So I heated it up and tried it...took one bite, spit it out, and threw it away...

Smelled and tasted like Alpo...

Freind swears I am not gung ho enough... He must be brainwashed

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:07:21 PM EDT
The only thing comin out of an MRE wrapper I liked was the Maple Nut Cake.
Maple nut cake was the shit. Everything else tasted like shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:12:29 PM EDT
I think folks can make some tasty things by mixing the contents of different MRE's, like some sort of chocolate pudding concoction.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:18:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
I think folks can make some tasty things by mixing the contents of different MRE's, like some sort of chocolate pudding concoction.

This calls for the MRE story...

I had a date the other night at my place. On the phone the day before, the girl asked me to “Cook her something she’s never had before” for dinner. After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten.

I got out my trusty case of MRE’s. Meal, Ready-to-Eat. Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories. Here’s what I made:

I took three of the Ham Slices out of their plastic packets, took out three of the Pork Chops, three packets of Chicken-a-la-King, and eight packets of dehydrated butter noodles and some dehydrated/rehydrated rice. I cooked the Ham Slices and Pork Chops in one pan, sauteed in shaved garlic and olive oil.

In another pot, I blended the Chicken a-la-king, noodles, and rice together to make a sort of mush that looked suspiciously like succotash. I added some spices, and blended everything together in a glass pan that I then cooked in the oven for about 35 minutes at 450 degrees.

When I took it out, it looked like, well, ham slices, pork chops, and a bed of yellow poop. I covered the tops of the meat in the MRE cheese (kinda like velveeta) and added some green sprinkly thingys from one of my spice cans (hey, if it’s got green sprinkly thingys on it, it looks fancy right?)

For dessert I took four MRE Pound Cakes, mashed ‘em up, added five packets of cocoa powder, powdered coffee cream, and some water. I heated it up and stirred it until it looked like a sort of chunky gelatinous organism, and I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of it. Voila--Ranger Pudding.

For alcoholic drinks, I took the rest of my bottle of Military Special Vodka (yes, they DO make a type of liquor named “Military Special"--it sells for $4.35 per fifth) and mixed in four packets of “Electrolytes - 1 each - Cherry flavored” (I swear, the packet says that). It looked like an eerie kool-aid with sparkles in it (that was the electrolytes I guess… could’ve been leftover sand from Egypt).

I lit two candles, put a vase of wildflowers in the middle, and set the table with my best set of Ralph Lauren Academy-series China (that shat is farking EXPENSIVE… my set of 8 place settings cost me over $600), and put the alcoholic drink in a crystal wine decanter.

She came over, and I had some appetizers already made, of MRE spaghetti-with-meatballs, set in small cups. She saw the dinner, saw the food, and said “This looks INCREDIBLE!!!”

We dug in, and she was loving the food. Throughout the meal, she kept asking me how long it took me to make it, and kept remarking that I obviously knew a thing or two about cooking fine meals. She kind of balked at the makeshift “wine” I had set out, but after she tried it I guess she liked it because she drank four glasses during dinner.

At the end of the main course, when I served the dessert, she squealed with delight at the “Chocolate mousse” I had made. Huh? Chocolate what? Okay… yeah… it’s Chocolate Moose. Took me HOURS to make… yup.

Later on, as we were watching a movie, she excused herself to use my restroom. While she was in there, I heard her say softly to herself “uh oh” and a resounding but petite fart punctuated her utterance of dismay.

Let the games begin.

She sprayed about half a can of air freshener (Air Freshener, 1 each, Orange scent. Yup. The Army even makes smellgood) and returned to the couch, this time with an obvious pained look.

After 10 more minutes she excused herself again, and retreated to the bathroom for the second time. I could hear her say “What the hell is WRONG with me???,” as she again send flatulent shockwaves into the porcelain bowl. This time, they sounded kinda wet, and I heard the toilet paper roll being employed, and again, LOTS more air freshener.

Back to the couch. She smiles meekly as she decides to sit on the chair instead of next to me. She sits on my chair, knees pulled up to her chest, kind of rocking back and forth slightly. Suddenly, without a word, she ROCKETED up and FLEW to the bathroom, slammed the door, and didn’t come out for 30 minutes.

I turned the movie up because I didn’t want her to hear me laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my cheeks. She came out with a slightly gray palor to her face, and said “I am SOOOOOO sorry. I have NO idea what is wrong with me. I am so embarrassed, I can’t believe I keep running to your bathroom!!” I gave her an Immodium AD, and she finally settled down and relaxed.

Later on, she asked me again what I had made for dinner, because she had enjoyed it so much. I calmly took her into the kitchen and showed her all the used MRE bags and packets in the trash can. After explaining to her that she had eaten roughly 9,000 calories of “Army food” she turned stark white, looked at me incredulously, and said “I ate 9,000 calories or dehydrated food that was made 3 years ago?” After I concurred, she grabbed her coat and keys, and took off without a word. She called me yesterday. Seems she couldn’t shate for 3 days, and when she finally did, the smell was so bad, her roommate could smell it from down the hall. She also told me she had been working out nonstop to combat the high caloric intake, and that she never wanted me to cook dinner for her again, unless she was PERSONALLY there to inspect the food beforehand.

It was a fun date. She laughed about it eventually, and said that that was the first time she’d ever crapped in a guy’s house on a date. She’d been so upset by it she was in tears in the bathroom while I had been in tears on the couch.

I know, I’m an azzhole, but it was still a funny night.

Sorry, source unknown but it was a post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 11:33:06 PM EDT by Sigurd]

Originally Posted By pv74:

So I heated it up and tried it...took one bite, spit it out, and threw it away...

The hamburger patty is the best MRE! Consider yourself lucky you didn't try one of the bad ones, like Jambalaya! Seriously, when I was in Afghanistan, guys would "rat-fuck" a brand new case of MRE's just to get the hamburger patty.

I hate MRE's, they are good for staving off starvation and not much else.

I REALLY I hate the smell of MRE trash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:41:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sigurd:

Originally Posted By pv74:

The hamburger patty is the best MRE! Consider yourself lucky you didn't try one of the bad ones, like Jambalaya! Seriously, when I was in Afghanistan, guys would "rat-fuck" a brand new case of MRE's just to get the hamburger patty.

I hate MRE's, they are good for staving off starvation and not much else.

I REALLY I hate the smell of MRE trash.

OMFG... The zombies brainwashed you too

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:42:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:
Nothing better than driving across the sands of Iraq in your CUCV with the defroster and heat turned up on high to warm up a pack of Frankfurters!

Baby Dicks....

that is OK...

I like the Omelet w/ a cheese pack in it and 2 tabasco's
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:43:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:
There are still two cases sitting in the closet at my mom's house. I was in the Coast Guard during Y2k and they bought a pile of them then let whoever wanted any take them home. They have expiration dates of 2005 but they have been in an air conditioned house for the last 4 years (probably 75 degress) they should still be good, maybe, I would try one but I'm on a low carb diet right now

They are good for 10 years at 60F, and that's not a spoil-by-date. The Nutritional content degrades over time-I've eaten an MRE that was 15 years old... It was fine. Or at least as "fine" as the early MRE's were. The new ones are Waaayyyyy better than the old shit they used to make.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:56:02 AM EDT
Have you guys tried MCW's or CWR's? These are no-moisture MRE's for cold weather operations. Essentially they have extra calories in them, lots of drinks, stuff to keep you going. Same weight as an MRE, with the CWR's being a double ration (two MRE bags). The main course is actually Mountain House freeze dried hiking/camping food, which is DAMN TASTY-equivalent to anything you can get at the grocery store. There's instant oatmeal for breakfast, lots of snacks etc.

www.mreinfo.com

How are the Canadian rations?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:17:38 AM EDT
I'm surfing the web wirelessly from the can right now and can say with confidence that this one did not stop me up.

BTW I remember (from the 80s) having some chicken ala king which was GACK, but the packet came with a nice cherry chip cake that I remember to this day for being quite tasty!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top