Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2010 4:20:23 PM EDT

Was at Sam's Club earlier, the wife and I tried some tilapia given to us from one of the Sampler Ladies.  $10 for a decent sized bag.  "Low in fat, high in protein...3 minutes each side medium heat" says the lady trying to close us like that dude in Boiler Room, so we bought two bags.

But then noticed on the package, after we ate, that it was a product of China.  

Even so, it was delicious... but will it be my last meal?  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Eventually, you will die...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
oh hell no
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.

Dibs on guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eventually, you will die...

Just not today, now tomorrow.......
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

oh hell no

Oh hell no, I'm not going to die?

Or Oh hell no, you wouldn't eat Chinese Tilapia?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
shucks no.....the cadmium should brighten up your eyes, and of course its rich in vitamin Pb....not to mention the melamine should give you the joints of a 1yr old gazelle.

Eat up
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You have seen what they put in kids toys, I can only imagine what is in the fish.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Dibs on everything else
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]

In before the "Its a shit sucker/ lives in mud puddles" crowd.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was at Sam's Club earlier, the wife and I tried some tilapia given to us from one of the Sampler Ladies.  $10 for a decent sized bag.  "Low in fat, high in protein...3 minutes each side medium heat" says the lady trying to close us like that dude in Boiler Room, so we bought two bags.

Well, drywall, dog food, kids toys, those glasses from Mc Donalds, steel that fails in structures....... I'd say your screwed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]

I've become more selective about my fish.  I won't knowingly buy fish or seafood from China.  Most stores will list the country of origin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

shucks no.....the cadmium should brighten up your eyes, and of course its rich in vitamin Pb....not to mention the melamine should give you the joints of a 1yr old gazelle.

Eat up

I hope you're not a doctor.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably so, I hear they(Chineese) intentionally inject them with mercury because there isn't enough in them already.

MPD165
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Farmed Talapia are fed exclusively on other fishes shit...

I'm not kidding. Fish like bass and catfish are fed "bag food" and the the water runoff from the bottom of their tank is run through the Talapia tanks... There's never any food actually fed to them, they just eat the catfish poop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I refuse to eat Tilapia even if its locally farmed. They grow them in plastic barrels and feeb them pellet food
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've become more selective about my fish.  I won't knowingly buy fish or seafood from China.  Most stores will list the country of origin.

I guess I just always assumed the fish sold here in America was caught/raised here in America.

eta: I'm taking that second bag back tomorrow!  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Was also at Sam's tonite and couldn't find any decent oranges.

The only thing they had in stock were "Product Of South Africa".

I live in Florida, I'm not buying oranges from South fucking Africa.

WTF!?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
All seafood is tainted to some degree.  It's just the ecosystem and the food chain in the ocean that causes this to be true.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the stuff myself, as well as Basa.  A good cornmeal mix is just the ticket.

I once ate from a roadside stand in Honduras.  Kind of sorta chicken gumbo with wholes ears of corn in it and large chunks of machete-chopped chicken. .  

Feathers and cockroaches included.  It was delicious and I'm still here.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
In a word...yes  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't buy/eat it intentionally.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.  You're going to die.  Tilapia is garbage fish, anyways.   Eating garbage fish from China?  You're fucked.  Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I refuse to eat Tilapia even if its locally farmed. They grow them in plastic barrels and feeb them pellet food

Better than the real deal diet of shit and skimmed bottom feeding crap.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#24]
dibs on ammo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#25]
trash fish
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Everything from China has lead in it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends...you know it is an omnivore, often raised on the waste of chickens.  

How did it taste?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Why would you eat anything from China?

I don't eat farmed fish, period.

But then, our area has lots of Fresh Alaskan Salmon, Halibut, and Cod....

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than the real deal diet of shit and skimmed bottom feeding crap.

You want to roll the dice on what nasty shit CHINA makes their pellet food from?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Does your mouth smell like shit now? I read some where that is what they feed them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
they are probably fed on ground up dead bodies of political dissidents.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#33]
The radionuclides kill most of the parasites.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

YEP
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been eating that stuff for years, and I'm still amongst the living.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Based on my experience, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Tilapia is an absolute waste of money and time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I do not eat Chinese fish.

Now, that Snapper and Haddock that comes from Thailand....thats some goooooood stuff!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#39]
You do know what talapia eat, right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You do know what talapia eat, right?

TILAPIA EAT PEOPLE!!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yup.

Dibs on guns.

damn........................oh and bye!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]
No you won't die immediately. However, you now have mercury poisoning, and over the next several months your hair will fall out, your skin will flake off, you will lose weight, and become nauseous all of the time.

Or maybe just shit little silver colored balls for a week or two.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No you won't die immediately. However, you now have mercury poisoning, and over the next several months your hair will fall out, your skin will flake off, you will lose weight, and become nauseous all of the time.

They are fresh water, farm-raised and are not apex predators.  They do not concentrate mercury.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I just always assumed the fish sold here in America was caught/raised here in America.

No way, man.  I wish it were so.  The grocery stores around here post the origins of all their seafood.  

There is NO shrimp from the USA. (one exception)   The stuff from China, Thailand, etc. smells funny, not like good shrimp.  I simply do not eat that shrimp.  The only shrimp we get here that is from the USA is Maine cold water shrimp.  They're small but taste good and are wild caught.

The fresh shellfish is either from the USA or Canada.  I'll eat anything from the USA or Canada.

The fish is mostly from the USA.  I'll eat it from other countries except for China and probably a couple of other Asian countries.

I'll buy Chinese AK's all day long but I will not eat their seafood if I can help it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No way, man.  I wish it were so.  The grocery stores around here post the origins of all their seafood.  

There is NO shrimp from the USA. (one exception)   The stuff from China, Thailand, etc. smells funny, not like good shrimp.  I simply do not eat that shrimp.  The only shrimp we get here that is from the USA is Maine cold water shrimp.  They're small but taste good and are wild caught.

The fresh shellfish is either from the USA or Canada.  I'll eat anything from the USA or Canada.

The fish is mostly from the USA.  I'll eat it from other countries except for China and probably a couple of other Asian countries.

I'll buy Chinese AK's all day long but I will not eat their seafood if I can help it.

Before the oil spill we could get fresh gulf shrimp all day long up here, those days are gone for awhile.................
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are fresh water, farm-raised and are not apex predators.  They do not concentrate mercury.

Dude, you're harshing my mellow. GTFO with facts and logic.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Probably so, I hear they(Chineese) intentionally inject them with mercury because there isn't enough in them already.

MPD165

Gotta add some kind of taste
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#48]
The fish counter in our local NH supermarket had North Atlantic haddock labeled product of China. This didn’t seem to make lot of sense so I asked about it. I was told that the fresh fish is labeled with the country of origin of the ship that caught it. I guess they must fish offshore then come in to sell the catch. Don’t know if true but that’s what I was told.
        I do have to say that fresh Gulf of Maine shrimp are simply delicious. Local fisherman’s  CO-Op was selling them for $1.50 per lb last winter.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#49]
eat it and shut up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice knowing you.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top