Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2012 4:07:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Granted, the bullet diameter is a little bigger, but is it actually more powerful than the Anzio Ironworks 20mm?

ETA:  Hmmm...it may be.  It's slower, but significantly heavier.

.950          20mm (PGU-27/B)

3600gr      1550gr

2200fps     3450fps
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That doesn't look "bad" to shoot at all-considering. There was an ebay seller selling dummy rounds for that-he claimed that "the recoil is so severe it's knocked shooters unconscious" then said " I know, I have fired it". After seeing that video I'd shoot it given a chance. If I could have my chance at any overly large gun I wanted to shoot, though, I'd shoot the 2 bore muzzleloader built by Steve Zihn for Bigdog on nitroexpress.com. THAT rifle's a piece of art.
The rifle in the linked video-I have to say, the standard sized scope looks comical on top of an action that big.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That doesn't look "bad" to shoot at all-considering. There was an ebay seller selling dummy rounds for that-he claimed that "the recoil is so severe it's knocked shooters unconscious" then said " I know, I have fired it". After seeing that video I'd shoot it given a chance. If I could have my chance at any overly large gun I wanted to shoot, though, I'd shoot the 2 bore muzzleloader built by Steve Zihn for Bigdog on nitroexpress.com. THAT rifle's a piece of art.
The rifle in the linked video-I have to say, the standard sized scope looks comical on top of an action that big.

It looks just like my 20ga that I mounted a BB gun scope on for S&G.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
i posted something about it a while back in the .700 WTF thread.

anyways.. .

950 JDJ:
Energy.. 38,685 ft·lbf ....  .... The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 lb (1,300 kg) automobile traveling at 20 mph (32 km/h)....
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to see the target they were shooting at.    Wonder what kind of accuracy you could get with a round that large - if groups are even realistic with the recoil and shooter skill necessary to absorb it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Retina separation from the eye would be teh suck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]

So what are you supposed to use that thing on? Battlemechs?

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
That should settle you down in your BVDs pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Destructive device?
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Me too I doubt its gonna be that accurate.

Quoted:

I'd love to see the target they were shooting at.    Wonder what kind of accuracy you could get with a round that large - if groups are even realistic with the recoil and shooter skill necessary to absorb it?

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Santana FTW!
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So what are you supposed to use that thing on? Battlemechs?

squirrels who am I kidding. this is arfcom.

Possums

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

.458 Lott is on the edge of that for me I think this would be too much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Santana FTW!

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't want to be within 25 feet of that thing when it's fired.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That video just makes me beam with "I love America'!

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What does its suppressor look like?

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Destructive device?

There are exceptions for "sporting calibers" over .50

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give it a week and Red Jacket will make one for it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2536/aac1v.jpg

LOL - too true!
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Not sure why they were shooting w/ two chairs stacked up.  That caused them to bend foreward into it and feel the recoil more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Destructive device?

Pretty sure this rifle has not been exempted by the Attorney General or BATFE. It would be impossible to prove you are going to "soley" use it for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Have they made a Cali legal version yet we can make fun of?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Nowhere near as cool as a 4-bore double rifle

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#26]
...but does it shoot through schools?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#27]
It's an anti-satellite rifle!! Shame on you. Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!??!

That was AWESOME thanks jeffco
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nowhere near as cool as a 4-bore double rifle

F.C. Selous shot one of those double charged
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#29]
The rifle and cartridge are awesome

Carlos Santana is a communist loving liberal shitstain

Quoted:

Santana FTW!

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...but does it shoot through schools?

I'd imagine it'll shoot through pretty much anything you could hit with it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not sure why they were shooting w/ two chairs stacked up.  That caused them to bend foreward into it and feel the recoil more.

If you notice, they need stacked chairs to get proper height for proper sight picture.  

And i think you ABSOLUTELY want to lean into this gun.  If you give it a chance to start moving (in recoil) before it hits you, you are in big trouble.

Physics....
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.458 Lott is on the edge of that for me I think this would be too much.

Would separation be a function of g-force?  Could you just pop a bigger brake on the muzzle and be good to go?

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#33]

I'd have more than a little concern about my still in two pieces collar bone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Destructive device?

Pretty sure this rifle has not been exempted by the Attorney General or BATFE. It would be impossible to prove you are going to "soley" use it for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

The term "destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

I can't find a list right now, but .950JDJ is exempted along with .577TREX, .600NE, .700NE, etc.  I have no idea what they use to make the distinction.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Wondering how this compares to some of the earlier WWII anti-armor rifles
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#36]

I want to buy one of these!
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd shoot one of these, but no way in hell I'd shoot the gun in the OP.

Lahti 20mm anti-tank gun - VIDEO

Lahti Model 39 anti-tank rifle
20 mm ATR
Mag: 10 box
Length overall: 88.2 in (224 cm)
Sight radius: 30.3 in ( 77 cm)
Barrel length: 51.1 in (130 cm)
Weight: 109.1 lbs (49.5 kg) unloaded without magazine
Weight of empty magazine: 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg)
AP round weight: 0.7 lb (0.337 kg)
AP bullet weight: 0.3 lb (0.148 kg)
AP tracer bullet weight: 0.3 lb (0.152 kg)
Charge weight: 37 g

Muzzle velocity: 800 mps
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Several nice squirrel guns.   TT
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Protip 101 - The more aggressively you lean into a rifle, the less recoil you will feel.

I might try that rifle standing, but sitting you can't move at all the absorb the recoil. Would love to see the effect on target.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Destructive device?

The term "destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

I can't find a list right now, but .950JDJ is exempted along with .577TREX, .600NE, .700NE, etc.  I have no idea what they use to make the distinction.

This is correct, and I will build one one day for myself, once I've got some money to spend on it, I think it would be a great tool for a gunsmith who does custom work, to show to customers and such. Also I'm 6'5" 320 pounds, this is the rifle for me, considering they weight north of 100 pounds.

.50 BMG in the middle, to the left of it are a .950 solid, an empty case and a loaded round, I forget what rounds are on the right, I believe that they are other JDJ rounds, but am not sure

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#41]
No thank you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you notice, they need stacked chairs to get proper height for proper sight picture.  

And i think you ABSOLUTELY want to lean into this gun. If you give it a chance to start moving (in recoil) before it hits you, you are in big trouble.

Physics....

Quoted:

Protip 101 - The more aggressively you lean into a rifle, the less recoil you will feel.    

I might try that rifle standing, but sitting you can't move at all the absorb the recoil. Would love to see the effect on target.

I've always found it much more comfortable to sit upright and move with the recoil.  Same reason prone shooting is harder on the shoulder than offhand or why small guys claim to feel less recoil than big guys.  Granted, I've never applied this premise to anything more powerful then a 12 ga slug in a light shotgun or a .338 Win. mag so I will conceed a .950 JDJ may require leaning into it just to keep it on the table.

I was never suggesting this.
 I'm just suggesting a position where you move more w/ the recoil and therefore spread it out over a longer period of time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Where can I buy the pistol that fires that round?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destructive device?

If you can find it and post it, that would be nice. Thanks

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Destructive device?

Good Gods, you'd think it'd destroy something...

But yeah, this'll need a DD stamp.

Unless we can get rid of USC 922 entirely...

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Destructive device?

Good Gods, you'd think it'd destroy something...

But yeah, this'll need a DD stamp.

Unless we can get rid of USC 922 entirely...  

No stamp needed for .950 JDJ

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#47]
No thanks. Im not a fan of recoil like that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destructive device?

If you can find it and post it, that would be nice. Thanks

Wikipedia says so, though without attribution:
As its name implies, rifles chambered for the cartridge have a bore diameter of 0.950", which would normally classify them as Destructive Devices under the 1968 (1934) National Firearms Act. However, SSK sought and received a "Sporting Use Exception" to de-regulate the rifles, meaning they can be purchased like any other Title I rifle by a person over age 18 with no felonious criminal record.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought I read somewhere that the recoil was so strong on .950 that the human body cannot endure it without causing injury.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have they made a Cali legal version yet we can make fun of?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Actually, that IS Cali legal. It is so stupid, we can't have a bolt action .50 BMG (a ".50 BMG rifle") but we can can have M2s in .50 BMG (not a "rifle") and mega bore rifles like .700 WTF, 600 NE and .950 JDJ.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top