PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 5:11:51 PM EDT
More than once.  that is all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:13:11 PM EDT
Better to be lucky than good
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:13:58 PM EDT
I've noticed that being good often results in being lucky....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:19:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
More than once.  that is all.

well at least you didnt use a .50 cal "sniper rifle" to shoot the plane down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:20:00 PM EDT
Very true! However, even the best poker players need the cards to make a play

All BS aside, I've been known to accuratly ping the same rock at 200 yards, with an HK94...same league
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:21:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:22:13 PM EDT
Walk them in ???
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
at 300 yards you could have probably CAUGHT those rounds in a baseball mit. good shootin' though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:25:40 PM EDT
B27? Bomber?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:31:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stormwalker:
at 300 yards you could have probably CAUGHT those rounds in a baseball mit. good shootin' though.

Naw, they were leaving CRATERS in the muddy hillside behind the target.   I won't PROMISE to hit you at 300 but if I were you I wouldn't be standing up and letting me whale away at you with a .45 - sooner rather than later I'm gonna connect - and the rest of them will land close enough to make you really nervous.  

The key is (I have done this before, just for grins) using both eyes and superimposing the firing pin over the target - that gives you a good approximate holdover for 300 yards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
Was it taking off or landing?

I'll bet that was some hellatious hold over.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:31:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
B27? Bomber?

No, silhouette target
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:34:38 PM EDT
I was going to say.  I think most of us could hit an airplane that large with our eyes blindfolded.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:36:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
B27? Bomber?

No, silhouette target

That's nothing.  My friend was shooting a Match M14 from a rest to zero it, and obliterating golf balls at 100 yards.  So I pick up my SA Milspec and take aim, with one shot, destroy a golf ball with the .45.  I got some applause from the folks at the range

Couldn't replicate it, though.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:38:14 PM EDT
The visual image of this gave me a good chuckle.

Some jackass standing 300 yds away while his braggart buddy takes pot shots.

"Ha-ha...fuck you Jimmy...missed me again.  Told ya!  Yep...missed me again you idiot...TOLD YA!  Go ahead...reload...you'll miss with this magazine as....OOOOOMMMMMPPH!"

Naw, they were leaving CRATERS in the muddy hillside behind the target.   I won't PROMISE to hit you at 300 but if I were you I wouldn't be standing up and letting me whale away at you with a .45 - sooner rather than later I'm gonna connect - and the rest of them will land close enough to make you really nervous.  

The key is (I have done this before, just for grins) using both eyes and superimposing the firing pin over the target - that gives you a good approximate holdover for 300 yards.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:38:21 PM EDT

Assuming 230gr. FMJ @875FPS muzzle velocity they should be doing about 700FPS at 300 yards with a 200" drop.

What's your catcher's mit made of?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:39:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
The visual image of this gave me a good chuckle.

Some jackass standing 300 yds away while his braggart buddy takes pot shots.

"Ha-ha...fuck you Jimmy...missed me again.  Told ya!  Yep...missed me again you idiot...TOLD YA!  Go ahead...reload...you'll miss with this magazine as....OOOOOMMMMMPPH!"

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:40:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rangie:

Assuming 230gr. FMJ @875FPS muzzle velocity they should be doing about 700FPS at 300 yards with a 200" drop.

Unobtainium
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:41:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:41:56 PM EDT
While a Cop years ago, I responded to a housing project on a reported shooting. There had been a rash of thug on thug robberies and this time they started shooting at each other as the robber left the project. The robber stopped his car and got out to return fire from 300 yards. There was a long field entering the project.  

From 300 yards, the victim's gang buddy put a .40 round fired from a Glock 22 center mass on the robber. He dropped dead. There were about 22 rounds total fired between the thugs. All drug related of course.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:42:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rangie:

AR500......
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:05:25 PM EDT
That is cool that you did some long range .45 shooting--I did too today.

I knocked 3 bowling pins down w/ 5 shot from my Kimber and reloads.  A little later I spanked a clay pigeon (same dist.) 1 out of 5 shots.

But for some reason I am shooting 4-5 FEET high w/ my AR and flip-up sights after I maxed out the elevation on the front sight.  On this, I need help--thread in the Optics forum of AR-15...HELP!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:08:23 PM EDT
The B-27 is the old style police target.  It must feature a silhouette of guy who must be size 50.  BTW, hitting a B-27 at 300 yards is mighty good throwing.  I don't think I can't throw my .45 past 25 yards.  It just isn't aerodynamic and won't fling like a boomerang.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:12:05 PM EDT
I remember once while in the Marines, we were at a machine gun range in Yakama, WA.   Firing line is on a hill overlooking an open field full of targets.  Platoon SGT walks up to firing line with an M9 and starts to pepper the targets 200-300M down range with 9mm.  We were very impressed.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:14:31 PM EDT
pffft!! 300 yds? I took down a satellite with my Kimber.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:19:33 PM EDT
Once I picked up a ratty 1911 and was fooling around. It was after a HP match an there was a 200 ard target up.

"Second shot," I said. "First one's for ranging."

Bang.

Bang.   X!

the puller said it was in the perfect center!

I didn't fire another shot that afternoon!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
You conducted yourself like a wise man Piccolo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:32:52 PM EDT
Helium cylinder (8 inches wide, 60 inches tall)
275 yards
Two handed grip, isolese stance, no artificial support.
Ruger 22/45 multiple times.  Two hits from one mag.
EAA Witness .45 ACP. Pretty much the same story.

I can't call them, but you better not stand around gawking either.

I also shot a flying bumble bee at 6 feet with the Witness.  But that one took almost 30 rounds over a 5 minute period to pull off.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:34:20 PM EDT
The 1911s do surprisingly well at long range. It's always fun to bang away at targets on the 100m line with one.

It kinda makes sense. The 1911 was from the cavalry era, and the pistol was a primary weapon when mounted.

I shot one out on a dry lake bed once. You could see the bullets skip five or six times on the lakebed after you fired it level at the horizon. The first bounce would be a couple hundred yards out, then a couple good hops, and the some pitty-pats.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:39:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DPeacher:
Helium cylinder (8 inches wide, 60 inches tall)
275 yards
Two handed grip, isolese stance, no artificial support.
Ruger 22/45 multiple times.  Two hits from one mag.
EAA Witness .45 ACP. Pretty much the same story.

I can't call them, but you better not stand around gawking either.

I also shot a flying bumble bee at 6 feet with the Witness.  But that one took almost 30 rounds over a 5 minute period to pull off.

I was a witness.

It took me about 20 mags through the Glock before I could "replicate" the feat.... but I had 17 round mags.    I never could get two hits from a single mag in the 1911.... but I got close.
Top Top