Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 11:00:12 PM EDT
This evening I went to campus to listen to this "scholar" talk about Presidential wartime powers in the last 50 years, but specifically since 9/11.  So natrually it turned into a Bush/Iraq War bashing session during the Q&A.  This old liberal lady speaks up and says:

Old liberal: "Well I think it is terrible how there is no Anti-War movement in this country."
"Scholar:"  And why do you think that is?
Old liberal: "Well the Media, for one.  They are certainly not on our side!"

WTF?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's OK.. she had a bowl of stupid for breakfast.

Every day.

Her entire life.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
eh. the media is on the side of the $$$, truth be damned
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know Helen Thomas got out much.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Theres no big or powerful anti war movement.    

I think there would be if the nation felt the war was unjust. But it seems like alot of people just dont care.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, there is some truth to it. The Mainstream media is on their side more then ever, but they no longer have a monopoly on the news that the average American gets. The anti-war movement is virtually nonexistent because the facts are out there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If you ask a typical liberal, they will swear that the mainstream media is tilted towards Bush, the war, etc.  They think ABC, NBC, CBS, the cable news channels and all newspapers are propaganda arms of the white house.  

This just proves that:

a) Facts and reality mean nothing to liberals

and

b) They're so far to the left that even left-leaning, Bush-bashing news programs/articles are viewed as being part of the vast right wing conspiracy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think there would be if the nation felt the war was unjust. But it seems like alot of people just dont care.

Ditto. It would take a miracle or a disaster of proportions not yet seen, pick your choice, to make the average American to start caring. How long did those flags fly for after 9/11? Mine still is, hoisted on 9/12.

Most people in this country, sadly, just don't give a shit about anything unless it affects their bottom line.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto. It would take a miracle or a disaster of proportions not yet seen, pick your choice, to make the average American to start caring. How long did those flags fly for after 9/11? Mine still is, hoisted on 9/12.

Most people in this country, sadly, just don't give a shit about anything unless it affects their bottom line.

What did we have in the last election? %50 of people voted? Sadly from those numbers you know people just dont care when an election can determine if and how the war continues.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
eh. the media is on the side of the $$$, truth be damned

The media is on thier own side.

The media is on the side they THINK is most popular.

It's the same with politics. People will claim "their guy" is getting made fun of, getting bad press etc. Funny, when I watch Leno or Letterman, they make fun of whoever is in office that day.

Same thing with "journalists" they are often right of democrats and left of Republicans, and don't follow party lines.

But the stories about "your guys" always stand out more than stories that put "them guys" in a bad light.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

b) They're so far to the left that even left-leaning, Bush-bashing news programs/articles are viewed as being part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Fox News is the proof of that.  A network comes along and moves a bit toward the center and it's vilified as being the propaganda mouthpiece for far right.  

Liberals don't believe in independent thought of any sort.  If you're not parroting GroupThink inflection for inflection then you're the enemy and must be purged.  It's really as simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you ask a typical liberal, they will swear that the mainstream media is tilted towards Bush, the war, etc.  They think ABC, NBC, CBS, the cable news channels and all newspapers are propaganda arms of the white house.  

I was going to say almost exactly the above.

I was talking to a very liberal friend of mine and she swears that the media is on the payroll of the gov't.

She was informed of this by Air America.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This just proves that:

a) Facts and reality mean nothing to liberals

and

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to say almost exactly the above.

I was talking to a very liberal friend of mine and she swears that the media is on the payroll of the gov't.

She was informed of this by Air America.  

The irony...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top